Facebook surpasses 300 million users, is 'just getting started'

By on September 16, 2009, 7:30 AM
Social networking sites have a knack for exploding in popularity and then quietly fizzling into oblivion, allowing another to enjoy the momentary spotlight. If a site isn't run into the ground, often times it is purchased by a competing brand. Facebook has yet to face this, having held its own in the social arena since 2004.

The company announced that it now has over 300 million members worldwide -- and it's "just getting started," according to CEO Mark Zuckerberg's blog post yesterday. He added that the social behemoth faces many "fun and important challenges that require rethinking the current systems for enabling information flow across the web."

Zuckerberg also announced that as of last quarter, Facebook is cash flow positive -- something that was not projected to occur until next year. It wasn't long ago that we posted about Facebook hitting the 250 million-member mark -- how large will it be in the years to come?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'd take that 300 million figure with a grain of salt. Almost everyone I know (especially teens) have multiple accounts. I was at a friend's house for dinner the other night and their 13-year old daughter was bragging about her TWENTY-EIGHT different Facebook accounts.

Yes, this number is most likely off by a lot. I know people who have multiple accounts also. And lets not forget about the SPAM bots which randomly create account names and sign up. One day my graduation class went from just 30 people signed up all the way to 335. Now mind you my high school was small and our class only has about 40 people in it. weeks later all the accounts were removed and were at 30 again, but still, i'm pretty sure they haven't found them all

I liked facebook better back when it was exclusive to the college community.

windmill007 said:

Facebook is pretty cool and myspace is just falling out of style. Facebook keeps you more connected to your friends and family.

gobbybobby said:

I know nobody who has more than 1 account, having more is just weird. 300 million, is that ''active'' accounts, I mean how many of the acounts have been used in the last, let say 2 weeks?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I liked facebook better back when it was exclusive to the college community.

why is that guest?