Kingston unveils SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive

By on October 26, 2009, 1:15 PM
Kingston has unveiled a new wallet-friendly solid state drive for desktop users looking boost system performance without picking up a second mortgage. The company's SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive has an MSRP of $115, and according to the press release, rebates could push the price as low as $84.99 at Newegg when it launches on November 9.

Kingston says its 40GB Boot Drive is one of the best and most cost-effective ways to accelerate any desktop's boot, shutdown and application load times. The drive has top sequential speeds of 170MB/s read and 40MB/s write. It's reported that the 40GB Boot Drive received a score of 13,883 in PCMark Vantage Advanced HDD Suite, which the company compares to a 7200RPM HDD's score of 3,708.
Like most SSDs on the market, the SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive connects via SATA and is built around a 2.5" form factor. Realizing the latter won't fly for most desktop systems, Kingston will ship a bundle for $130 (MSRP) that includes 2.5" to 3.5" brackets -- plus cloning software and SATA data/power cable extenders.

While the offering is reasonable, a meager 40GB is surely a tight squeeze for some folks. Windows 7 x64 has a minimum storage space requirement of 20GB -- not to mention the bulkiness of modern games and productivity suites. Those are the systems that need a performance boost, and Kingston's 40GB solution only seems capacious enough for basic use.

For 85 bucks each, I'd be inclined to pick up two and throw them in a RAID 0 array... then you end up with 80 GBs of storage, and fast as hell - while still being plenty cheaper than most single 80 GB SSDs.

guyver1 said:

any gamer worth his salt NEVER ever install or keeps his games on the OS partition.

I havent re-installed Steam in 10 years of using it. It sits on a dedicated seperate HDD. and everytime i change OS or simply do a clean install all you need to do is delete ClientRegistry.blob, start Steam.exe and your good to go, no need to backup or reinstall.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

guyver1 said:

I havent re-installed Steam in 10 years of using it.

From Steam:

September 12, 2003, 2:04 am - Greg Coomer - General Announcement

The Steam client has been released. Please check the "Get Steam Now" page for download locations.

Interesting.. I'm also curious, how big is that hard drive you've got Steam on? ;-)

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Hahaha rick, yea, that caught my eye too

Some things are not worth bragging about with old farts as us about

guyver1 said:

Ive got about 90+ games on my steam account taking up just over 400Gb

guyver1 said:

well 7 years then (sure i used it during beta during 2002, but cant really remember that far back), either way comments still stand, never re-installed it, just moved the entire folder from one hdd to another as its grown of the years.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Hmm at $85 that'd be really temping.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I picture this drive being more suitable for gaming consoles with its small capacity. I agree with the consensus that this is a very tempting offer @ $85.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i just can't wait for a PS3 Firmware update that will allow the use of these SSDs ...

cheers!

Souljacker Souljacker said:

Finally, a reasonably priced ssd boot drive. Probably still cost a fortune over here in the UK Americans are lucky!

Docnoq said:

guyver1 said:

Guyver1,

I'm curious as to what you are doing exactly. Seeing as I am awaiting my copy of Win7 to arrive (M$ shipped it to Colorado, I'm in Florida -.-), it would be great to not have to re-download all of my Steam games. What I am currently planning on doing is copying my entire Steam folder from my C: drive to my D: drive, then installing Steam on Win7, closing it, and copying my folder back over. Are you running Steam from your secondary hard drive or doing what I mentioned? Space is not *that* much of an issue as my C: drive has 250GB while my D: drive has 1TB.