Sony recalls 69,000 VAIO AC power adapters

By on October 28, 2009, 6:00 PM
Heads up to VAIO owners: Sony is recalling some 69,000 AC power adapters following four reports of units short circuiting -- none of which occurred in the United States. It seems there is a weakness in the insulation that could pose an electrical shock hazard to consumers, but nobody has been injured at this point.

The Sony VGP-AC19V17 is the exact AC adapter being recalled. It's used in Sony's all-in-one VAIO desktops (VGC-LT and VGC-JS2 series), and VAIO docking stations (models VGP-PRBX1 and VGP-PRFE1) -- all of which were sold via SonyStyle stores, as well as authorized electronics retailers and business-to-business dealers from September 2005 through October 2009. The PCs were priced from $900 to $3,300 and the docks ran $250 to $300.

If you happen to own a VGP-AC19V17 adapter, it is recommended that you stop using it immediately and contact Sony for a free replacement. You can call Sony at 877-361-4481, or head over to the company's support site.

Deso said:

Oh damn, my father has one of those, I better inform him

gamingmage said:

what is the problem with batteries? I see that these are one of the most recalled components of computer hardware. Is there a high failure rate within the batteries that they use or what?

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Sony isn't recalling any batteries, they're recalling an AC adapter. :/

freedomthinker said:

Mm.. wonder whats happened though .. Sony seamed to be clean , why didn't any of this occur in the US ? ;D

fref said:

I had this same problem with my Acer laptop last year. The AC adapter would get very hot and emit a high pitched noise after using it for 15-20 minutes. Acer replaced it promptly, didn't even have to send back the old one.

Rig said:

That's serious. Don't usually get Sony having a problem like that. At least they recalled all of the units and didn't sit on the problem.

abautu said:

Four reports and they call them in? Very nice of them. I had a problem with my D**L laptop (a broken BIOS image that bricked the motherboards of many users) and the company did nothing to help.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

it seems of late that Sony has had some problems with product reliability but it is nice that they caught it really fast.

buttus said:

Sony has just been killed these last couple of years with battery and now power supply recalls. You'd think they would have learned their lesson of faulty power issues by now.

vistamaster said:

Why can't we just standardize on power supplies and their connectors? I think its time for a similar solution that the ITC just approved - a micro usb connector for all cell phones...

Colonel Lance said:

What's with all the recent recalls of late?

Are companies rushing products to try and earn some quick money or something? TEST the product please. All this does is hurt your reputation Sony.

Well at least there's one good thing about not having much money, you don't tend to buy products that you just have to send back.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

My mom has a Sony vaio with a VGP-AC19V19* rathar than a 17 at the end I guess its okay? I dont want her to get hurt/shocked

tengeta tengeta said:

Geez... I almost thought for a second I'd have a second recalled AC adapter for the same laptop.

swilllx2p said:

Anyone know how bad the shock can be if you do indeed get shocked from it? All I know is there would be no way that I would stop using my laptop until I got the replacement. Stupid or not, i'd just take extra precautions before I got the replacement.

SUSHRUKH said: