Google Chrome OS coming next week?

By on November 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
Google's much-anticipated operating system, Chrome OS, will be available for download next week. That is at least according to a "reliable source" cited by TechCrunch, who claims we can expect official driver support only for a small set of devices in this early version.

When first announcing the project back in July, Google had pledged to make its source code available before the end of the year. This rumor seems to be in line with those promises. However, without proper driver support the operating system will be useless to the average user. By the sound of it next week's release will most likely be just a collection of code meant for software developers to tinker with.

As earlier reported, Google's operating system is built on a Linux foundation and should be very Web-centric. Chrome OS applications will run right in the browser, and they'll be cross-compatible with other standards-compliant browsers on other platforms. Companies like Acer, Asus and HP are reportedly backing the project and may have netbooks running Chrome OS ready for customers in the second half of 2010.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is something I really want to test drive, from a long time I'm looking for that definite distro for netbooks, and this might be it, dual booting this one and W7 might be a good start.

Says it will have little driver support, I hope most wifi's adaptors fit into this "little" support.

If Google's new OS is as good as their awesome Chrome browser, I'll definitely buy a netbook just to try it out.

When Chrome debuted over a year ago, I never intended to do anything but try it out, as I do most new software. Little did I know that from that day on (and to my great surprise) I would for the most part, abandon Firefox for good.

I can only imagine that Google's stupid-fast browser will be faster and snappier yet (if that's even possible) when run in their new OS

Next year is going to be an exciting one for sure!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Wow, that seems almost to fast...I hope its good and not a rushed OS, *caugh* vista *caugh* They could really make into something that alot people use and not linux small user base.

freedomthinker said:

Google was always reliable , so im really excited about this new OS ! This could be a new start for netbooks !

I am not sure I understand the driver problem... isn't it linux inside???

cant wait to download and test it

njel said:

I really hope it is going to be a good OS.

Google is surely a company who can force Microsoft to completely rewrite their OS and create a new generation OS. Not simply an evolution.

The IT world need some revolution. Even if a lot a people think that it would not be fair to be incompatible with the past it is maybe the only way to get rid of all those bugs and limitations.

T77 T77 said:

at least they wont charge ridiculous prices like how Microsoft does for its OS(really not worth it)