NZXT intros Hades gaming case with dual 200mm fans

By on December 21, 2009, 8:43 PM
NZXT has launched a new beastly case called Hades, which is crafted with PC enthusiasts and gamers in mind. The enclosure boasts four fans, including dual 200mm intake (one in front, another on the side), a 120mm rear exhaust, and one 140mm top fan (with room for another).

The case ships with a "dual fan 8W per channel controller," to adjust the fan speeds, and a "three temperature display" on the front panel for quick thermal readings. Meanwhile, the meshed 5.25-inch bays, door, and bottom panel enable maximum airflow.

Hades can house up to nine 5.25-inch or five 5.25-inch along with four 3.5-inch drives, and also has a bracket to mount two solid-state drives. It has plenty of clearance for colossal video cards like AMD's recently released dual-GPU Radeon HD 5970.

Additional features include holes in the motherboard tray for quick CPU bracket removal and wire routing, pre-drilled holes on the backplate for liquid-cooling setups, two front mounted USB 2.0, audio, and eSATA ports, and a removable PSU filter.

NZXT's Hades is available now for $90, and is worthy enough to accompany our buying guide's Enthusiast PC.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

90 bucks for this?? Just 90 bucks? OK - I'll buy two. Looks like it beats the heck out of my Antec 900.

Puiu Puiu said:

It really is cheap for what it can do.

BTW the design look very similar to that monster from Silent Hill with the pyramid head. ^_^ I really like it.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Judging by the pics on the NZXT site, and scaling it using the ATX standoff spacing, I'd say getting an HD5970 in that chassis would be a shoe-horn job and I doubt you'd be able to use the adjacent HDD slot. The chassis is only 510mm deep-including the plastic front door.

Getting a larger tower cpu cooler installed could be fun too.

Not much clearance between the ground and the bootom of the chassis considering the PSU has to draw fresh air through the floor vent.

Hopefully the build quality is better than the Alpha and Lexa models.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

That's a really nice looking case, I'll be using this on the next computer I build.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Very nice looking. And price is great for what it comes with.

Renrew Renrew said:

Darth Vader Design? Now where did I put my light saber?

Looks like a good case for the money.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm not following what they could be calling a "three temperature display" on the front of the case. Possibly just LEDs? But it's said to be in C/F readings, so I'm confused. I would also like to see intake filters for the fans and automatically adjusted fan speeds measured by temperature probes. But seriously, what this case does give you for $90 is a bargain!

This is a nice looking case, and the first I've seen with fully vented expansion slot blank covers. I love their wire management and the provided wire management routing grommets. And I also like that they've provided some rubber spacers for the PSU to help with noise. And, finally, the accessible top mounted USB, eSATA, and audio jacks are a nice touch.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dividebyzero said:

Getting a larger tower cpu cooler installed could be fun too.

Hopefully the build quality is better than the Alpha and Lexa models.

I gotta agree - just judging by the pics I would estimate that from the back to the start of the hdd slots there is only about 11" or so. My 9800GT would just barely squeeze in there, and then I loose 2 hdd slots. Already went through that with a $30 Raidmax case.....

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

TorturedChaos said:

I don't have a 9800GT... but surely it's not 11 inches long?? To be honest if you were planning to get a top of the range graphics card like the 5970 you would go for a more expensive and roomier case than this one. This is a mid-range case with a mid-range price tag, and I'm pretty sure a mid-range card like a 5850/5770 would fit in there fine.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

After first glance at the sexy look and fans setup and being impressed by that, I think the size could be an issue too. I have an Antec 900 which is 8.1 x 19.4 x 18.4 (W - L - H). This NZXT is only 7.87 x 19.7 x 16.9. I have an nVidia XFX GTX 285 card which barely - and I mean BARELY - fits in the Antec case. I also have a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 CPU cooler which also is an unbelievably tight fit. Maybe 1/8" clearance from the side of the case. I don't think either one of those components would fit in this NZXT case - unfortunately.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

The Hades product page says there's clearance for 300mm cards -- or about 11.8 inches. Our sample Radeon HD 5970 measured 300mm long. The XFX GTX 285 is (according to the intarwebz) 267mm/10.5 inches long. Take that for whatever it's worth.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Thanks Matthew - the XFX might fit, but that monstrous Xigmatek cooler...I'm doubting it. At any rate, I tried shopping for this and it's still nowhere to be found. Might be a while before it gets into circulation.

I'm definitely interested, but think I'll wait until I see it on NewEgg and they get some user reviews on it. I'll let someone else try it out for me...

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If I remember correctly my 9800GT is about 9.5" long, with the power connect sticking straight out of the end, taking up another 1" or so and that's if you tweak the cord at a pretty sharp angle, and most hdd don't sit flush with the slots they go in, they stick back out about 3/4" then you have the cords sticking another .5" or so, so you need about 12" to fit that card in comfortably.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Budget case temp guide (v1.0)

Temp 1 : No case lights on, system switched off.......Temp is COLD

Temp 2 : Press "Power" button........For the next 10 minutes the Temp is COOL

Temp 3: High-quality plastic front door is melting....Temp is TOASTY

Note: owners of X1900 Pro video cards need only pay attention to Temp 1 and Temp 3.

TorturedChaos well said ! The difference between what will "theoretically" fit and what happens in the real world when you have to account for cables and airflow.