Nvidia teases "Optimus" technology for laptops

By Justin Mann on January 5, 2010, 6:05 PM
Nvidia today teased a new mobile technology, dubbed "Optimus". Due before the end of Q1, Optimus is aimed at notebooks and netbooks and is designed primarily to provide long battery life combined with discrete performance.

Though very cryptic on information, Nvidia dropped several hints as to what Optimus could entail. Making a point to mention both performance and battery life, Nvidia indicated that Optimus will be "seamless and transparent". Some theories suggest it will be an improvement on hybrid graphics, where discrete and integrated GPUs share a single system.

You could also speculate that Nvidia is planning a new notebook platform altogether. Unfortunately with such sparse information, it is difficult to say where they are actually going until more information is revealed.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

NVIDIA is such a tease.

Really, I'm sure NVIDIA has good things in store for us, but can they please hurry and release them?

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

They have to tease. Otherwise, you'll go out and buy whatever is best right now, instead of waiting (and waiting and waiting) for their new stuff to finally hit. At least with this tease, if you are looking at a system in this specific niche, you might hold off to see what all their self-induced hubbub is about.

Personally, I think a tightly integrated multicore GPU platform would be great for some of the popular ultramobile computers today. Improved battery life is always welcome by us road warriors

Puiu Puiu said:

Although we know they are working hard, Nvidia still has nothing concrete to at least do a demo for us.

I'm going to quote a comment someone made in another place:

"Sometime in the next 10 years, NVIDIA will release something really cool!" -NVIDIA PR Guy

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I'm going to quote a comment someone made in another place:

They already have. I lost my hearing overnight (literally) six years ago. Three months ago I underwent Cochlear Implant surgery. My new "hearing" was switched on, the implant array electronically mapped and calibrated all with nVidia GPGPU technology.

Worked like a charm thanks to those Austrian geezers at Med-El and nVidia I have 85% of my hearing back.

It's not all about fps