Netflix to delay new movie releases by 28 days

By on January 6, 2010, 6:45 PM
Netflix and Warner Bros. have inked a new agreement in which Netflix will wait 28 days after the retail launch of DVD and Blu-ray films before making them available to its customers. The video rental service deems the new terms a "win-win" for both parties.

By delaying the rental availability of new releases, Warner Bros. can maximize the sales potential of films (it's noted that 75% of the sell-through occurs in the first four weeks), while still granting Netflix the right to Warner's movies. Netflix will also benefit from "reduced product costs and significantly more units and better in-stock levels".

"We're able to help an important business partner meet its objectives while improving service levels for our members by acquiring substantially more units than in the past after a relatively short sell-through window," said Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer.

JudaZ said:

and its a loose-loose for the customers...and i'll just continue to download movies instead.

Why pay high prices and be cheated and dissapointed at crap movies, when you can watch first, and pay later if its worth it. ....usually its not worth watching..and usually I watch 5 -10 min .. get mad .. and delete....

With netflix you pay a monthly fee that is acceptable, no use for doing anything illegal, ns since they have lots of content, even if you feel cheated you might find somehing else that.... now ...you have to wait...so then why pay? why use netflix at all, if not just for old stuff. ... since now old stuff is all you get.

the media networks are really trying to kill its own business and all new ideas that could actually minimise piracy. Dont get it. Every new idea and solution that first sems great .. .then the media industry gets involves and kill it....

They are trying to ruin hulu... voodler is pure crap...tried it and never again... ..they are sabotaging youtube. Now they are trying to destroy netflix. .. thanx for that ... morons.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And the winner is...."Redbox"...!! Yay...!!

the first time I am unable to order a movie i wish to watch i will be canceling my service and using the one of 5 Redboxes within 5 mnutes of my house.

I will not be willing to pay 20 dollars a month to be told i have to wait to watch a movie i can rent for 1$.

Between the price at the theatre, the price of the DVD's, and the crap the movie industy releases, I just say screw it, and wait til they hit redbox, if something even appears remotely like it might be worth watching.

Tmagic650 Tmagic650, TS Ambassador, said:

Yes, I am a Netflix member but Redbox is where I now get new releases for $1 each... Netflix at $8.99 x4 DVD's is $2.25 per DVD

JudaZ said:

redbox seems like a huge step backwards....

video rentals is really getting really old... whats the diffrence with redbox?

Netflix seemed like the future (not talking about renting of physical, plastic crap but streaming) ... seems like the media industry just dont like new stuff and moving forward.....

(considering the latest 50 remakes planned seems more true then ever)

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

No blu-ray in Redbox. That's not an option for me.

Prestonzee said:

now that i have invested in thousands of dollars on a home theater i have no further use for netflix. guess i'll redbox it once in a while till they are censored too.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And the winner is...."Redbox"...!! Yay...!!

See, I said this already.

No blu-ray in Redbox. That's not an option for me.
Suffer with upconversion from DVD. Do we really need to see the ingenue's pores and pimples? IMHO, no!

[link]

I still firmly believe that downloading rental movies is the stupidest thing you can do. The studios want you to do this, it gives them complete DRM control. The more you watch by download, the more they'll try to do away with physical media, Consider the ramifications of that. If DVDs are outlawed, only outlaws will have DVDs.

When media shifts to all electronic methods, that sounds like it will be all profit for the media industry, instead of now, where they have to open their wallets a bit to pay for having the DVDs produced.

Tmagic650 Tmagic650, TS Ambassador, said:

I am in this home office from 10am to 11pm most weekdays. I stream Netflix movies on my 24 inch digital Samsung SyncMaster 245bw computer monitor, and I watch Redbox DVD's on a Sylvania Digital TV. I have to have noise in the office while I work. My wife is working 2 jobs and my 2 cats are quiet. Especially when it is snowing and -11 outside

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Does your boss know you're doing this? But really, watching movies by having the TV on and half ignoring it is the cowards way out.There isn't any you can savor the rich, full stench of Hollywood's average bomb. You need to sit down and force yourself to "withstand" some "C" movies on a third tier cable channel, without interruption. That's how a movie true buff develops true character. (And also possibly PTSD).
I know it's of little consolation but it's not all that much warmer in Jacksonville Fla. If quiet cats are a desired quality, might I suggest keeping Persians or Rag Dolls.......and stay far, far away from Siamese, or lions, hm, especially lions.

JudaZ. Agreeing with Judaz. There is no reason to rent movies anymore when you can download perfect looking bluray rips 2 weeks before it is released. Some moves up to a month before they come out.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Actually I thought the intent of this thread (not to mention the policy of Techspot) was to promote dialog based on LEGAL means of obtaining content.

But you sure are slick.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captaincranky said:

And the winner is...."Redbox"...!! Yay...!!

My thinking exactly... Damned if I'll wait 4 weeks to watch a movie that is out now. Netflix has just shot itself in the foot... And kneecap... And I think it grazed the left testicle...

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sad to see impatient people willing to steal just to get a movie a couple days early.

I have avoided netflix so far as i don't watch enough movies and the streaming movie selection is pretty weak at the moment (for all but the highest priced plans). I do redbox occasionally, or buy a movie if i think i would watch it enough times.

Goodbye netflix. this model is doomed to failure. consumers who subscribe to netflix want new realeases asap not 28 days later. I predict netflix will lose alot of subs. I am canceling my sub today

scott

scott

Blockbuster used to have a better rental plan than NetFlix by far. Rather than subject you to the details, their last "change of terms of service", (which tried to make you look stupid, by convincing you that they were doing you a favor by giving you less features), caused my immediate cancellation.

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

Bunch of haters out there. "OMG Netflix is horrible now". No, Warner wants to protect it self. It has employees to keep employed. And the more you steal by illegal means, the more you hurt them. Movies are not free. And they certainly are not some God given right.

The movie is the property of the parent company and they can distribute it how and when they deem it fit.

Netflix is merely working with the parameters those companies set.

If you are so inpatient that you cant wait an extra 4 weeks to see a movie that has been out of theaters for 3-6 months, and that you havent seen in 9 months, then you have some issues. If its something you really loved and want to see, sure, go to redbox, blockbuster, or hollywood video. but with the thousands upon thousands of movies available, i think you could find something to tide you over a few more weeks.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

No blu-ray in Redbox. That's not an option for me.

There are a couple Redbox-like movie rental things here (here being NW MT) with a decent selection, and they carry blu-ray disk too. Have to find one again and see what they are called. Only two I remember are 1/2hr drive north tho in the next town, have to ask my friend up there what they name of them are.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You mean more like overpaid, overindulged celebrities, that they have to maintain in rehab or the army of lawyers on retainer they keep to clean up the mess they make.

And lest we forget the parasites in "entertainment journalism" and the "paparazzi" are entitled to fat paychecks too, now aren't they?

Movies are not free. And they certainly are not some God given right.
Redbox isn't free. And if you think it's worth more than a dollar to see Sandra Bullock's 40+ year old and starting to spread bare a** in, "The Proposal", you're sadly mistaken. And I'm sure sitting through "Wall-e", wasn't condoned by God, but rather concocted the deity downstairs.

They also have the right to distribute garbage and attempt to charge full price for it. With some of it, they should limit the distribution to a board of directors meeting, then suffer through it themselves.

Netflix is merely working with the parameters those companies set.
Well, it's like they say Eddie, "s*** rolls downhill".

Actually, it seems that you are the one with issues. Whether forced or self imposed, Netflix is now offering less service for the same amount of money, which is tantamount to a price increase. As I have stated earlier and many times, allowing yourself to become addicted to streaming movies, moves the studios away from a willingness to supply fixed media. Which I suppose is OK, until your internet is down, or your precious computer breaks, at which point we'll see you in the forum crying and complaining because your friggin' magic box doesn't work.

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

see you in the forum crying and complaining

Don't forget about the 1 day arrivals, the unlimited rental time, all the streaming content, and the other THOUSANDS of title to choose from to tide you over for 4 weeks (many including new releases from other companies). Oh, and never-mind the fact that a major movie probably wont get to you on release day anyway due to the demand vs. limited quantities.

Tmagic650 Tmagic650, TS Ambassador, said:

I'll probably go the Blue Ray route sometime in June. I got a HDMI 1080p DVD player for Christmas, and the picture looks very good... Sound is better too. Netflix wants $3 more each month for Blue Ray discs.

...and captaincranky,

I am the boss

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Paranoid much? For the measly $20 a month or less, your going to complain about the fact that you cant get a new release from Warner Bros. (ONLY) for 4 weeks. Nothing else changed.seems that your the one complaining "Netflix is screwing me out of $0.12 a month now. boo hoo" Sure your argument is valid, less service same price. But at what value, I guessed 12 cents.

No, I have no complaint about Netflix, since I never had an account there in the first place. Besides, 20 bucks is 20 bucks. Now Blockbuster on the other hand whittled away online benefits to almost nil, this due to internal financial issues. When something that was originally quite a bargain transforms into something very ordinary, then human nature kicks in and says, "enough".

Well, then if you're always the one that doesn't get a movie on release date, I suppose you do have a compliant, (as well as really bad luck). As I said, I never stream movies in the first place. So I could really care less. And as for "something to tide you over", there always broadcast TV or cable. Broadcast TV is as you may be aware, is many times, in Hi-def and FREE!

I frankly don't care whether there's a month delay, it was the rest of your original post that was obnoxious. OMG the poor studio execs, overpaid movie stars, battions of professional synchophants, copyright lawyers,etc. need jobs too. Yes, there are many people in the movie industry that need their jobs, and are worth every penny they're paid. But, there's also a s***load of flab, theft and waste. Really now, would the world end without Paris Hilton or "OK" magazine?

...and captaincranky,

I am the boss

I knew that.... . And while we're on the subject of cats, I have a big, fat, lazy, Maine Coon that comes back in the house immediately when called, and it's pushing 40 F in Philly today. I think calling him "Bangor" may may have been a mistake. I should have named him, "Boca Raton".

I have to disagree with your point that the studio wants direct download. They are so afraid of it that they have had whole meetings on how to get it outlawed.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I sorta think that these meeting are more on the order of how to control downloads. You know, where they have all the content, and they get all the money. Or maybe, "how can we get P2P outlawed", "how can we force the ISPs to provide us with the names of illegal down loaders", that sort of conversation.

Netflix is going down hill it is that plan and simple. First they got rid of the top 50 instant stream list, (So the website didn't have to much stuff on it) the reality of it was all the power users where using the list to find movies because the website is so hard to find a movie unless you already know what you want to watch. It could have also been because the top instant stream movies where all about pot.

Now this, to me it seemed like netflix was on the cutting edge but since it has become bigger it's focus has switch to just making money (which isn't a bad thing they are a bussines after all). I still really like netflix because it is the only movie service that I have used that offers more than illegal downloading. What I mean by this is I can pick the movie I want to watch and just start watching it. Where the other route is picking the movie dling somehow than waiting the 10-30 minutes for it to download. This is the same reason I starting watching tv shows on hulu instead of the dl route.

I really just want the top 50 list back in all honesty. If I really want to watch a movie the chances are I will go see it in the theater and if I don't but I still want to watch it I would most likely dl it. So all this new deal does for me is reduce the chance I will be watching there movie legally.

Well I guess that now i can cancel my Netflix account. Its not worth any more..

Tmagic650 Tmagic650, TS Ambassador, said:

I like my Netflix account. I only left them briefly in 2006. They would give new releases to new members, but us old timers had to endure "long waits"... When RedBox came into being, this annoyance didn't matter any longer. I like Netflix for the older movies and TV series DVDs

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

Well I guess that now i can cancel my Netflix account. Its not worth any more..

Are new release Warner Bros. movies the only ones you rent?

More like:

Customer = Lose

Netflix = Doesn't lose right to time warner films and have angry customers.

Time Warner = Win

JudaZ said:

To put it simple...

you get less for the same amount of money.

Netflix makes it self less interesting.

...and people will not stop downloading illegaly, instead this behavior is gonna increase.

You cant present a good or decent legal alternativ, then after you get people to use it...just make it less atractive. If you do, you will get punished. Its that simpel.

If I know I can get a movie the same day its relased, or even before... and all good legal options are removed.. ...what do you think the most people will do.

Wait like a "good chistian" (or slave to the industries) ..or get what they want somewhere else, legal or not.

If we want content now, we will get the content now, somehow.

Why not just realize how the world works today and start making money of it instead?

Why fight it, you will loose in the end...and no matter of threats will stop this.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The primary problem with this move is that it sets a dangerous precedent. What is to stop the other studios from requiring similar contractual delays in releasing their titles? And why is it JUST Netflix that is being pulled into this agreement, why not Blockbuster and Redbox? Are those guys next? And if not, why the singling out of Netflix?

In effect, Netflix buckled to pressures and was wooed by financial savings, with the only people really affected being their customers who will now have to wait a month longer than with other services (for this one studio, so far), yet still pay the same fee.

Now we get to see who is next up to the plate. Typically, once greedy jackals smell blood, they all go for the exposed weakness to get their pound of flesh. I just hope this doesn't signal the start of a steady erosion of customer benefits.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You make a lot of good points, but there are many differences between Netflix, Redbox, and Blockbuster.

Blockbuster has arrangements in place with some studios to offer rentals that are "Blockbuster Exclusives". Which, (or so I was told by one of their store managers), another rental firm would actually have to buy at retail, if they wanted to offer them on the date of release.

While there is much contention about the price that Redbox charges for rentals, taken as a whole, it's actually MORE expensive than either Blockbuster or Netflix under certain conditions. Point being, at the 5 day point, a Netflix and a Blockbuster rental are the same price, after that, charges still accrue with the Redbox rental, but all you'll get is a scolding on the phone from BB's computer. So obviously, if you scurry right back with the Redbox offering, you've saved some money, if you don't, then you didn't .

Blockbuster still offers the "Movie Pass". Which is all you can rent, 30 bucks, 30 days, 2 out at a time, which does present an ethical dilemma to the proud owner, since if you go even once a day and exchange both movies, ((rent by a single day) as the average person does with Redbox)), then that would be sixty movies a month, which would be 50 cents a rental. If you see where I'm going with this. Someone with no moral compass could return a movie in perhaps an hour or so, and claim that it stunk, and replace it, no questions asked, but perhaps some eyebrows raised by the store personnel. I've seen this done on a number occasions. If I miss a new release, I'll ask if anybody did a "burn and return" on the title yet, and from time to time the answer was "yes". I distinctly remember connecting with a returned copy of "Serenity",. @ about 1:00 PM on the day it was released.

I'm quoting our guest for a second time, since I feel he (or she) has over simplified the issue. The studios would be glad to sell you the movie by direct download, which would put a lot of people in the DVD authoring sector of the trade out of work, but granted the other types of downloads do freak them out quite a bit.

NONE OF THIS IS NEW BUSINESS.....!!

Once upon a time, when VCRs weighted about 30 pounds, cost more than a thousand dollars, and were almost completely illegal, there was no such thing as a "rental movie"! Way back when the studios were running their mouths saying such thing as, "it should be illegal to tape a TV show, since people will skip over the advertising". And today boys and girls, we have a name for this process, TIVO-ing

Prerecorded video cassettes cost upward of at least $20.00, ( which was probably double the value of today's money).So, then somebody got the brilliant to rent them! At that time, there was a rental delay of, I think, about 90 days. The rental houses got the movie 90 days before it was offered for sale at retail, and had to pay title dependent prices of up to 90 dollars per cassette...!

The quality of VHS is lousy, so if you wanted to see the movie the way it was intended, the theater was your only option. Oh and BTW, a blank video cassette was about $10.00. Yeah right, as much as a blank Blu-ray disc.

Wow, wouldn't the studios like to go back there again?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I read about half of these and I couldn't resist posting anylonger. I'm going to can my netflix subscription, I've had one for YEARS, but if I can't get a new release, then I'm out. As said above me, we can find a version of the movie online, for free, before 28 days (most often a week before it is even out, in HD). I was keeping netflix mostly because with Plex I could watch netflix movies on my tv, but hulu and netflix don't want their services working with stuff like plex or boxee so to keep it working you have to deal with a breakage, and then wait for it to be fixed. Thats too much of an inconvienience.

I'm about to drop cable completely really. Most of the reason I'm on it now is because I literally live right at the edge of 3 cities's coverage region, and I can't get any OTA for free without a super nice antenna.

But for sports, justin.tv or channelsurfing.net works pretty good. News I can find online, what else is there? Regular tv shows are being upped in damn near HD quality within seconds of finishing, in HD quality within an hour or two on torrents, and if you can wait a day they show up on the website of whoever airs them.

If this happens with Netflix, it will happen with everything else, Redbox et al. Get over it.

I canceled my membership with Netflix and went to blockbuster for the same price and now I can get movies the week they are released......I'm Happy

redbox has agreed to the same deal as netflix. so I can't see them as a winner either. The winner is the movie industry. OH and before you say blockbuster won. They also have to agree to the same agreement. So the rental industry loses and the movie industry won.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I think VHS movies a long time ago used to be rental only before you could buy them, which is kind of odd since now its backwards of that....

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

A Long Time Ago, In a Galaxy Far Away........

Very true, that was at the very beginning of the rental industry. The deal that was in force at the time was that the rental houses got a specific lead time before the videos were released for sale to the public. I think this was about 90 days, I'm not certain.

During that period, rental houses paid staggering sums for their videos. I remember seeing $75.00 to $90.00 dollars, concomitant with a minimum order of quantity. I even think that the prices were merit based depending on potential popularity.

After that, retail sales prices of VHS titles was around that of Blu-Ray today. Considering, that was at least 30 years ago, and adjusting for inflation, video cassette movies were almost the proverbial, "arm and a leg"!

Something to consider also when pondering the current "reversal of fortune", whereby you can purchase the movie before you can rent it, is that back in the day, VCRs were up to $700.00, and VHS to VHS copy can only be described as lousy. Macrovision still had their finger in the pot, as it were, with analog copy protection in VHS media.

To say the balance of power has shifted to the consumer today, is an understatement of epic proportion.

techsp10 said:

I don't exactly know how Netflix works at this time but I guess they have enough reason why they delayed the release... Just learn to wait..

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Your thought of $75.00 to $90.00 per copy is correct as far as I remember. I think this continued through at least the mid 90s on VHS.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Have you even read the point of this thread? The movie studio withheld the releases, and Netflix was forced to go along with it.

The "Good Old Days"

I rember buying a Sony VCR, I think it was a 435-SVR or some nonsense like that. The model number was basically the price, and if you wanted to copy a tape, you needed two of those suckers, plus the mail order CGE box for $50.00 bucks in between.

That Sony really sucked on SLP too. You're right, I think that this was somewhere around '92 to '93.

Redbox is included in the Warner Bros clause.

Yeah redbox would be awesome if it also didn't agree to a 4 week window. Only blockbuster has exclusive rights.

Yeah, Redbox woulod be awesome.......if only they didn't agree to wait four weeks for the releases too. Only Blockbuster has exclusive rights to Warner Bros DVDs. Oh Yeah, and On Demand too. They say this move is meant to stimulate DVD sales but that's BS! The cable companies are behind this move and Blockbuster will end up out of business unless they figure out what's going on. If only Blockbuster had apps for Xbox and PS3 streaming video for a cheap(er) price.......

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Guess what you two, part of the issue is not just studio profits, but partly is conceded as life support for Blockbuster. If Blockbuster fails,(and they're not doing real well, mind you), then a lot of DVDs get not sold.

That said, you're supposed to go crying to "On Demand" for your movies. But remember, that avenue is loaded with DRM. So, it's like they say about handguns, "when DVDs are outlawed, only outlaws will have DVDs"

Myself, I can wait the extra 30 days for hard copy, rather than conceding that the computer is my only avenue for entertainment. I'm not a big enough ***** to want to watch "Avatar" on an iPhone either.

kylehboc said:

blu ray is so overated it's not even funny....seriously. Also Where do you live? the red boxes nera me have both formats.

kylehboc said:

Warner bros has enough money,they dont deserve anymore. I don't work there. chances are either do any of you, why should you even care? Those employees are ALL over paid. This is fact.

kylehboc said:

The principal remains the same, if you are paying money for a service.Then that service needs to be able to meet your demands. Delaying movies, no matter how you slice it....is and will always be a horrible business decision.If that means you can't rent Warner bros movies, oh well... they got enough money anyway screw them...better studios out there anyway.