Netflix to delay new movie releases by 28 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Netflix and Warner Bros. have inked a new agreement in which Netflix will wait 28 days after the retail launch of DVD and Blu-ray films before making them available to its customers. The video rental service deems the new terms a "win-win" for both parties.

By delaying the rental availability of new releases, Warner Bros. can maximize the sales potential of films (it's noted that 75% of the sell-through occurs in the first four weeks), while still granting Netflix the right to Warner's movies. Netflix will also benefit from "reduced product costs and significantly more units and better in-stock levels".

"We're able to help an important business partner meet its objectives while improving service levels for our members by acquiring substantially more units than in the past after a relatively short sell-through window," said Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer.

Permalink to story.

and its a loose-loose for the customers...and i'll just continue to download movies instead.

Why pay high prices and be cheated and dissapointed at crap movies, when you can watch first, and pay later if its worth it. ....usually its not worth watching..and usually I watch 5 -10 min .. get mad .. and delete....

With netflix you pay a monthly fee that is acceptable, no use for doing anything illegal, ns since they have lots of content, even if you feel cheated you might find somehing else that.... now ...you have to wait...so then why pay? why use netflix at all, if not just for old stuff. ... since now old stuff is all you get.

the media networks are really trying to kill its own business and all new ideas that could actually minimise piracy. Dont get it. Every new idea and solution that first sems great .. .then the media industry gets involves and kill it....

They are trying to ruin hulu... voodler is pure crap...tried it and never again... ..they are sabotaging youtube. Now they are trying to destroy netflix. .. thanx for that ... morons.

the first time I am unable to order a movie i wish to watch i will be canceling my service and using the one of 5 Redboxes within 5 mnutes of my house.
I will not be willing to pay 20 dollars a month to be told i have to wait to watch a movie i can rent for 1$.

Between the price at the theatre, the price of the DVD's, and the crap the movie industy releases, I just say screw it, and wait til they hit redbox, if something even appears remotely like it might be worth watching.

Yes, I am a Netflix member but Redbox is where I now get new releases for $1 each... Netflix at $8.99 x4 DVD's is $2.25 per DVD

redbox seems like a huge step backwards....
video rentals is really getting really old... whats the diffrence with redbox?

Netflix seemed like the future (not talking about renting of physical, plastic crap but streaming) ... seems like the media industry just dont like new stuff and moving forward.....

(considering the latest 50 remakes planned seems more true then ever)

now that i have invested in thousands of dollars on a home theater i have no further use for netflix. guess i'll redbox it once in a while till they are censored too.

And the winner is...."Redbox"...!! Yay...!!

See, I said this already.

No blu-ray in Redbox. That's not an option for me.
Suffer with upconversion from DVD. Do we really need to see the ingenue's pores and pimples? IMHO, no!

now that i have invested in thousands of dollars on a home theater i have no further use for netflix. guess i'll redbox it once in a while till they are censored too.
http://www.businessweek.com/magazin...=technology_technology+index+page_top+stories

I still firmly believe that downloading rental movies is the stupidest thing you can do. The studios want you to do this, it gives them complete DRM control. The more you watch by download, the more they'll try to do away with physical media, Consider the ramifications of that. If DVDs are outlawed, only outlaws will have DVDs.
When media shifts to all electronic methods, that sounds like it will be all profit for the media industry, instead of now, where they have to open their wallets a bit to pay for having the DVDs produced.

I am in this home office from 10am to 11pm most weekdays. I stream Netflix movies on my 24 inch digital Samsung SyncMaster 245bw computer monitor, and I watch Redbox DVD's on a Sylvania Digital TV. I have to have noise in the office while I work. My wife is working 2 jobs and my 2 cats are quiet. Especially when it is snowing and -11 outside

I am in this home office from 10am to 11pm most weekdays. I stream Netflix movies on my 24 inch digital Samsung SyncMaster 245bw computer monitor, and I watch Redbox DVD's on a Sylvania Digital TV
Does your boss know you're doing this? :rolleyes: But really, watching movies by having the TV on and half ignoring it is the cowards way out.There isn't any you can savor the rich, full stench of Hollywood's average bomb. You need to sit down and force yourself to "withstand" some "C" movies on a third tier cable channel, without interruption. That's how a movie true buff develops true character. (And also possibly PTSD).
My wife is working 2 jobs and my 2 cats are quiet. Especially when it is snowing and -11 outside
I know it's of little consolation but it's not all that much warmer in Jacksonville Fla. If quiet cats are a desired quality, might I suggest keeping Persians or Rag Dolls.......and stay far, far away from Siamese, or lions, hm, especially lions.

JudaZ. Agreeing with Judaz. There is no reason to rent movies anymore when you can download perfect looking bluray rips 2 weeks before it is released. Some moves up to a month before they come out.

JudaZ. Agreeing with Judaz. There is no reason to rent movies anymore when you can download perfect looking bluray rips 2 weeks before it is released. Some moves up to a month before they come out.

Actually I thought the intent of this thread (not to mention the policy of Techspot) was to promote dialog based on LEGAL means of obtaining content.

But you sure are slick.

captaincranky said:
And the winner is...."Redbox"...!! Yay...!!

My thinking exactly... Damned if I'll wait 4 weeks to watch a movie that is out now. Netflix has just shot itself in the foot... And kneecap... And I think it grazed the left testicle...

Sad to see impatient people willing to steal just to get a movie a couple days early.

I have avoided netflix so far as i don't watch enough movies and the streaming movie selection is pretty weak at the moment (for all but the highest priced plans). I do redbox occasionally, or buy a movie if i think i would watch it enough times.

Goodbye netflix. this model is doomed to failure. consumers who subscribe to netflix want new realeases asap not 28 days later. I predict netflix will lose alot of subs. I am canceling my sub today
scott

Goodbye netflix. this model is doomed to failure. consumers who subscribe to netflix want new realeases asap not 28 days later. I predict netflix will lose alot of subs. I am canceling my sub today
scott
Blockbuster used to have a better rental plan than NetFlix by far. Rather than subject you to the details, their last "change of terms of service", (which tried to make you look stupid, by convincing you that they were doing you a favor by giving you less features), caused my immediate cancellation.

Bunch of haters out there. "OMG Netflix is horrible now". No, Warner wants to protect it self. It has employees to keep employed. And the more you steal by illegal means, the more you hurt them. Movies are not free. And they certainly are not some God given right.

The movie is the property of the parent company and they can distribute it how and when they deem it fit.

Netflix is merely working with the parameters those companies set.

If you are so inpatient that you cant wait an extra 4 weeks to see a movie that has been out of theaters for 3-6 months, and that you havent seen in 9 months, then you have some issues. If its something you really loved and want to see, sure, go to redbox, blockbuster, or hollywood video. but with the thousands upon thousands of movies available, i think you could find something to tide you over a few more weeks.

TomSEA said:
No blu-ray in Redbox. That's not an option for me.

There are a couple Redbox-like movie rental things here (here being NW MT) with a decent selection, and they carry blu-ray disk too. Have to find one again and see what they are called. Only two I remember are 1/2hr drive north tho in the next town, have to ask my friend up there what they name of them are.

Bunch of haters out there. "OMG Netflix is horrible now". No, Warner wants to protect it self. It has employees to keep employed. And the more you steal by illegal means, the more you hurt them.
You mean more like overpaid, overindulged celebrities, that they have to maintain in rehab or the army of lawyers on retainer they keep to clean up the mess they make.

And lest we forget the parasites in "entertainment journalism" and the "paparazzi" are entitled to fat paychecks too, now aren't they?
Movies are not free. And they certainly are not some God given right.
Redbox isn't free. And if you think it's worth more than a dollar to see Sandra Bullock's 40+ year old and starting to spread bare a** in, "The Proposal", you're sadly mistaken. And I'm sure sitting through "Wall-e", wasn't condoned by God, but rather concocted the deity downstairs.

The movie is the property of the parent company and they can distribute it how and when they deem it fit.
They also have the right to distribute garbage and attempt to charge full price for it. With some of it, they should limit the distribution to a board of directors meeting, then suffer through it themselves.

Netflix is merely working with the parameters those companies set.
Well, it's like they say Eddie, "s*** rolls downhill".

If you are so inpatient that you cant wait an extra 4 weeks to see a movie that has been out of theaters for 3-6 months, and that you havent seen in 9 months, then you have some issues. If its something you really loved and want to see, sure, go to redbox, blockbuster, or hollywood video. but with the thousands upon thousands of movies available, i think you could find something to tide you over a few more weeks.
Actually, it seems that you are the one with issues. Whether forced or self imposed, Netflix is now offering less service for the same amount of money, which is tantamount to a price increase. As I have stated earlier and many times, allowing yourself to become addicted to streaming movies, moves the studios away from a willingness to supply fixed media. Which I suppose is OK, until your internet is down, or your precious computer breaks, at which point we'll see you in the forum crying and complaining because your friggin' magic box doesn't work.

Paranoid much? For the measly $20 a month or less, your going to complain about the fact that you cant get a new release from Warner Bros. (ONLY) for 4 weeks. Nothing else changed.

see you in the forum crying and complaining

seems that your the one complaining "Netflix is screwing me out of $0.12 a month now. boo hoo" Sure your argument is valid, less service same price. But at what value, I guessed 12 cents.

Don't forget about the 1 day arrivals, the unlimited rental time, all the streaming content, and the other THOUSANDS of title to choose from to tide you over for 4 weeks (many including new releases from other companies). Oh, and never-mind the fact that a major movie probably wont get to you on release day anyway due to the demand vs. limited quantities.

I'll probably go the Blue Ray route sometime in June. I got a HDMI 1080p DVD player for Christmas, and the picture looks very good... Sound is better too. Netflix wants $3 more each month for Blue Ray discs.

...and captaincranky,
I am the boss :D

Paranoid much? For the measly $20 a month or less, your going to complain about the fact that you cant get a new release from Warner Bros. (ONLY) for 4 weeks. Nothing else changed.seems that your the one complaining "Netflix is screwing me out of $0.12 a month now. boo hoo" Sure your argument is valid, less service same price. But at what value, I guessed 12 cents.
No, I have no complaint about Netflix, since I never had an account there in the first place. Besides, 20 bucks is 20 bucks. Now Blockbuster on the other hand whittled away online benefits to almost nil, this due to internal financial issues. When something that was originally quite a bargain transforms into something very ordinary, then human nature kicks in and says, "enough".

Don't forget about the 1 day arrivals, the unlimited rental time, all the streaming content, and the other THOUSANDS of title to choose from to tide you over for 4 weeks (many including new releases from other companies). Oh, and never-mind the fact that a major movie probably wont get to you on release day anyway due to the demand vs. limited quantities.
Well, then if you're always the one that doesn't get a movie on release date, I suppose you do have a compliant, (as well as really bad luck). As I said, I never stream movies in the first place. So I could really care less. And as for "something to tide you over", there always broadcast TV or cable. Broadcast TV is as you may be aware, is many times, in Hi-def and FREE!

I frankly don't care whether there's a month delay, it was the rest of your original post that was obnoxious. OMG the poor studio execs, overpaid movie stars, battions of professional synchophants, copyright lawyers,etc. need jobs too. Yes, there are many people in the movie industry that need their jobs, and are worth every penny they're paid. But, there's also a s***load of flab, theft and waste. Really now, would the world end without Paris Hilton or "OK" magazine?

...and captaincranky,
I am the boss :D

I knew that.... . And while we're on the subject of cats, I have a big, fat, lazy, Maine Coon that comes back in the house immediately when called, and it's pushing 40 F in Philly today. I think calling him "Bangor" may may have been a mistake. I should have named him, "Boca Raton".

I have to disagree with your point that the studio wants direct download. They are so afraid of it that they have had whole meetings on how to get it outlawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back