Microsoft investigating Windows 7 battery alert bug

By on February 3, 2010, 2:48 PM
Microsoft is working with its hardware partners to resolve a bug that causes some Windows 7-powered laptops to display incorrect battery warnings. Folks upgrading their laptops from Windows XP and Vista to 7 have complained that Windows 7 displays the following message: "Consider replacing your battery. There is a problem with your battery, so your computer might shut down suddenly."

It seems the alert isn't always right, though, and Microsoft says it's related to the way Windows 7 reads system firmware. The issue dates back several months, and many claim it began when they switched from the RC to RTM or retail editions of Windows 7. Along with the prompt, users say their battery life has been halved or worse, and at least one person purchased a new battery, but the issue remained.

Despite the bug, if you upgrade to Windows 7 and receive the warning it could still be legitimate, and Microsoft will help you determine if that's the case.

DeadSoul DeadSoul said:

i have this issue for weeks. i am using a HP Pavilion dv6000.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Luckily I do not (I am using DV5-1125), but I hope who ever/or whatever is the culprit will get fixed shortly.

gobbybobby said:

LOL FAIL! (very constructive comment if I might say so myself.)

I was surprised when I heard that,

I still use beta RC. But this problem never shown!

Why full version worst than beta one. Think it?

Hello,

I have a Fujitsu Siemen Amilo Si 1520. I made the mistake to upgrade Vista to Win 7. My notebook is now unusable I lost 65% of the original autonomy (which is already bad with Fujitsu) I finally decided to reinstall Vista ( I hate Vista on Fujitsu-Siemens Si 1520).

I have tried to contact Microsoft without success.

Regards,

luc

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Whenever you choose to reinstall your operating system (windows vista in this case) ideally one should format the partition which will house the OS to minimize chances of having any issues. What sort of issues you had with going to win 7 from vista?