Chrome gains browser market share as all others fall

By on March 1, 2010, 12:50 PM
Mozilla's share gaining streak in the browser market seems to be losing steam in recent months. According to the latest metrics from Net Applications, Firefox lost about 0.2 of a percentage point in February to end with a slightly lower usage share of 24.2%. It was the third month in a row that it fell in the rankings, along with most other major browsers, even as Mozilla converted a sizable chunk of its user base to the newer Firefox 3.6.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer wound up grabbing 61.58% of the market after suffering a month-over-month loss of 0.54 percent, while Safari was down 0.08 points to 4.45% and Opera dipped 0.03 to a mere 2.35%. Google's Chrome, meanwhile, continued its climb for the sixteenth straight month. Its small 0.4 point gain isn't exactly overwhelming, but looking at the bigger picture its 5.6% share is remarkable given its short life on the market.

That trend looks likely to continue as Microsoft today starts offering a "browser ballot" encouraging IE users to consider the other browsers on the market. If Chrome keeps up the pace of the last three months it is estimated it will break the 10% mark in October, 11 months ahead of a goal it set last year.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of these stats when compared to business vs. home usage. I suspect that the 61% share held by IE is that high due to business use.

Anyone who owns a home computer knows better...

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

It probably is largely influenced by businesses, but I'd argue that the average home user would use IE unless an alternative were installed by someone who "knows better." At least that's my experience, anyway.

And by "average home user" I mean the folks who have six browser toolbars and 30 apps on system startup. Heh.

Timonius Timonius said:

I agree with you TomSEA. My business (a rather large national company) still uses IE6; probably due to stability or security or just plain no need to upgrade. So lets see the stats for 'home' users.

Opera <3, loyal till death.

I wonder what the mobile browser percentiles are?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I gave Chrome a fair shot on my netbook, used it for 2 or 3 weeks. Gave up on it and went back to Opera. I went back because it wasn't that much faster, some sites didn't work (yes I know some sites don't work in Opera either), and privacy concerns.

gobbybobby said:

Tried chrome but it crashes all the dam time. I also seen a chrome advert in the UKs most read newspaper (the Sun) Don't see adverts in the paper for firefox now do we! can't find it would post a link. I use FF and always will becuase I don't want to be using google everything. I have to draw a line.

Google Chrome sucks. Using it side by side with IE and IE beats it hands downs. Going from page to page on both the times are almost identical - maybe chrome is slightly faster on some. Hit the back page and IE takes you right back to where you left. Chrome takes you to the top of the page every time so you have to scroll down to find out where you were at.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I happen to use Chrome as my primary browser, and when I go back, it goes right back to where I left the previous page... Not that I ever really use the back button- I just open everything new I want to read in a new tab by clicking it with the scroll button.

I have actually used chrome since its original release, and love it. I do not even think it is because of any slight speed difference there might be, I just really like the simplicity and style of the interface. It does have issues with some pages, but for those I just paste the URL into Firefox.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

My poor little Opera has very few users. Don't worry Opera I won't leave you, I shall endeavor to convert more people to your ways.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Chrome is SO much better than IE and it works with just about every site out there now. And now, Chrome has extensions that don't seem to be as big as a drain on the performance like Firefox extensions are.

If you haven't tried Chrome at all or last used it a long time ago, things have changed for the better. It's still very light weight and it's my main browser at home and at work!

Didou Didou, Bowtie extraordinair!, said:

The other day while setting up a netbook for a young cousin I was very disappointed to find out that only IE could use the adult filtering / website blocking functions built into Windows. If you want the same in Chrome or Firefox, you have to go through plug-ins.

I haven't tried Opera, I wonder if it's the same.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Forgot to mention. Just like in Firefox, Chrome now has IE Tab that allows you to render webpages inside of Chrome within an IE Window. So, if you come across a site that doesn't work with Chrome, hit the IE Tab button to render it in an IE window within Chrome and you're all set. No need to go to IE!

Chrome has now officially replaced IE completely for me.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Google probably collects as much information about you as all the world's intelligence agencies combined. Granted, I'm sure that they don't delve as deeply. That said, every site you visit is cataloged through "Google Analytics". What they are trying to determine is how to sell you more s***, via "targeted ads". (Mostly, I hope).

We have for all intents and purposes, become a nation of imbeciles, that need to be told how many calories are in the "Whopper" we're about to eat, and that cigarettes are bad for you. Since I was a child, (and I'm old trust me), cigarettes have had the nickname, "coffin nails", and it's been common knowledge that "fast food" makes you fat.

So, why this current crop of ***** savants needs "an app for that" completely mystifies me.

But more importantly, why do you volunteer a constant stream of your personal information to Google simply because they give you a browser. That's what it's for, to follow you around.

Although, I sure that flypaper seems like largesse to a fly.

Viandroto said:

Funny, I actually switched to Chrome because FF was crashing all the time, and eventually not even playing videos very well. Chrome has been my saviour.

bearspencer said:

As an alternative to Chrome, try Iron (pun, but no joke)

Open source & seems to have all Chrome's pluses without Chrome's privacy issues.

www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

gunabut said:

I like opera FF and chrome, I even like ie8 but jjust don't use it. FF has got some damm good add ons, opera has the professional feel, chrome is quite intuitive and friendly, ie8 is nice but clearly bloated

megrawab said:

There is no doubt that Chrome would gain more browser market share because of Google's reputation and fame. Another reason is that it's really fast using the webkit rendering engine. But my experience in Chrome is that it does not install on lower OS versions(shall be windows SP1 above) and not much for customizations unlike Opera..

techsp10 said:

I agree that Chrome increases their share in market since I could see also that Chrome is performing well..