Lenovo is now shipping the IdeaPad Y460

By on March 4, 2010, 7:35 PM
Lenovo is now selling its IdeaPad Y460 notebook, and orders placed today will ship within 13 days. Originally introduced at CES in January, the system has a nifty looking geometrical pattern sketched on the exterior. Lenovo offers two base models, the $999 Y460 - 063347U, and the $1,199 Y460 - 063346U.

The less expensive unit has a 14-inch 1366x768 LED display, an Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz processor and integrated graphics, 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM, a 320GB 5400RPM HDD, and a DVD burner. For an extra $200, the Y460 comes with a Core i5-520M 2.40GHz, a 1GB Radeon HD 5650, and 500GB of storage.

Connectivity looks equal across the board and includes 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, four USB ports (one eSATA combo), an ExpressCard slot, a six-in-one card reader, HDMI and VGA-out. Both systems also carry a 1.3MP webcam, a six-cell battery, and run Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

DryIce said:

Great looking laptop. I'd love to get one of those, but i am wondering how much of the price is from it's looks.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

What's there to wonder? The prices are given in the first paragraph, along with links to the systems .

supyo said:

neat looking machine!

InsaneVr6 said:

I have never had any problems with Lenovo and have been using the Thinkpad T60 for about 4 years now. Seeing this may make me want to upgade..and the core i5 option seems to be calling my name. Just don't know if I want to spend that money yet.

I have to say I love the pattern on the outside, just looks awesome.

Zenphic said:

I've heard Lenovo's Ideapad line isn't exactly on par in terms of quality with their Thinkpad line.

Regardless, these new Ideapad laptops don't look too bad. No doubt they need to be like that to compete against Dell and HP.

TechDisciple said:

This is one neat looking notebook. Reasonable price range for quality specs.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

That really is a funky pattern, the Y460 is pretty reasonably priced.

yorro said:

I love the design, the orange outline adds a nice touch. Glad Lenovo stepped up their game.

Yoda8232 said:

Loaded laptop there! I would go for the HD 5650 model for sure, that's a really good mobile GPU atm for the price. Great styling (love the orange accents), DDR3 RAM, 14" LED display (great for portability), and the new 1156 Intel platform. <3

I believe Gateway has a similar model called the nv5909 or something that has the HD 5650 with the i3 330M for $799. But is the quality still the same? I have old IBM Thinkpad 770X ($2000 laptop from 1998) and I love it and I'm using right now, moderately slow but reliable and built like REAL TANK. Pentium II wooo woot!

Ithryl said:

The body looks awesome. Too bad there's not as many customization options as there is for Thinkpad.

prabuyuvaraj said:

Love the patterns and the specs look good too!!!

Should be great among college students!!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It looks a little girly with the patterns and orange trim and all... not nearly as butch (or as rugged probably) as their Thinkpads.

zaidpirwani said:

Can I get it without paying for the Windows Lisc License.... I already have Windows 7 Ultimate edition....

fref said:

Ewwww! Apparently from previous comments, I'm the only one who thinks that the pattern on the cover is ugly... I'd look for another laptop if I was looking for a new one.

Serag said:

@ fref, yea you're alone , I think it's cool

decent specs and a reasonable price..nice..

Neojt said:

It looks nice but i would defenatly get the Y460 - 063346U. for the 200$ more just too bad they didn't put a 7200RPM hdd in there

fadownjoo said:

Looks nice,,but why so overpriced?

oh man, you are all crazy! have any of you seen the mac range of laptops??? no comparison

rajmond said:

A powerful & good looking laptop.

megrawab said:

But this is more affordable (well not for me:< than other ranges of laptops on the market. And it is suitable for everyday normal purposes. In our school, we used Lenovo on our desktops. The cpu's that Lenovo provides are small but faster (approx12"x6" size of cpu). I have no experiece yet on lenovo's laptop performances.

Ewww, what an ugly laptop!

Also, I would never consider getting a Lenovo which doesn't have a trackpoint.

madbo said:

It is remarkable and the time at which the laptop can run on battery power, which in the model with the Core i3 and Intel GMA HD is 4 hours and in the version with two video cards and Core i5 is 3 hours.

waterytowers said:

I will be waiting for USB3 and SATA3 to be included in laptops by default before I buy another laptop. Personally not a fan of the look of this laptop but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is ugly. I think alienware laptops are ugly but this is just not attractive.

Asgar312 said:

looking at this...i m now why did i buy my other Lenovo model.My one is okay but this Ideapad is awesome in every feature...it offers great configuration with stylish design n graffiti...i regret now...

levar said:

Awesome notebooks love the design both the 6U & 7U very powerful systems! I know there were a lot of systems introduced @ CES just didn't know about Lenovo's. Good to see some stuff from them.

techsp10 said:

yes I do agree by the appearance itself that it is a powerful laptop and good looking laptop...

I hear that you can't really see the pattern on the cover (it looks like a matte finish), unless light is reflecting off it and into your eyes; like a glare.

I just ordered one, but it's gonna take about 2+ weeks to ship it to me (estimated time); which is a complete bummer, but I can wait.

I was able to grab it for $891 + tax comes to $954. (NOTE: definitely search around for coupons on the web)

I have a 15.6" laptop currently (4+ years old) and its a hassle carrying it around, and would like to go back to my 14" days. This laptop is packed, and is great for 14"; it is true that you can go 15.6" and get the Core i7 and the ATI 5730 around the same price, but I prefer mobility. It starts to weigh in on you when you start carrying it everywhere around campus and when the desks are tiny.

-noob1

Be carefulll

Laptop looks really nice and speakers are awesome.

There are some caviats and I'm lookg for confirmation from Lenovo. Laptop overheats a lot.

It is so hot sometimes you can't keep it on your laps. Windows is still windows so I assume my problems of keyboard not reacting or mouse after going out of sleep or hibernate is due to Windows. Reinstalled it, which is really handy with the one button click on y460 and it works good for a week now...but will see. I opened a case with Lenovo thinking about returning it because of the temperature.

that's one ugly laptop!