Office 2010 nearing RTM, free upgrade for some 2007 users

By on March 5, 2010, 3:13 PM
If you've been eyeing a copy of Microsoft Office 2007, there's no better time than the present to make a purchase. In a blog post yesterday, Microsoft announced that customers who buy and activate Office 2007 will receive a free upgrade to Office 2010.

Gaining eligibility to the program -- called "Office 2010 Technology Guarantee" -- is easy. Simply purchase Office 2007 or a new PC with the software and activate it between today and September 30, 2010. You will also need a Windows Live ID, and the offer must be redeemed by October 31, 2010.

Additionally, Microsoft confirmed that Office 2010, SharePoint 2010, Visio 2010, and Project 2010 are all on schedule and will hit RTM next month. The 2010 set of products will be available to businesses on May 12, and as expected, consumers can get their mitts on the productivity suite in June -- possibly June 15.

Pricing for Office 2010 will be as followed:

• Professional: $499 boxed, $349 for product key
  • Professional Academic: $99 boxed only
  • Home and Student: $149 boxed, $119 for product key
  • Home and Business: $279 boxed, $199 for a product key

ourboyblue said:

You can't use free and Mico$oft in the same sentence.

No, Really it's written somewhere.

mv670 said:

I guess this doesnt apply to those who already had office 2007, oh well.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well that's weak. What about those of us who bought Office 2007 a year ago? We don't get props for supporting the Office product?

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

You get to show your support all over again.

alexandrionel said:

Professional Academic will be something like Student Edition?

fadownjoo said:

Awesome! i actually just bought it too hehe

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Professional Academic will be something like Student Edition?

Here's a full comparison of all the editions: [link]

I have a question. If I buy 07 now can I install '10 on a different PC later?

danteoz said:

I still need to try this out and see how it improves on 2007

boyese said:

Think i'll stick with Office 2007 till the next version, its got nothing new I need.

Unless I can buy it through work for £11!

tonylukac said:

What about the court injunction Microsoft had preventing it from selling office? Is that gone? I never read about the remedy in Techspot.

yorro said:

I have tried out the beta, a lot of improvements have been made. Although if you are extremely satisfied with 2007, there is not much benefit.

seefizzle said:

I don't understand how this business model will last too much longer. Google offers google docs for free. I can access it from any internet connection anywhere. Even on my phone. It's not as robust as Microsoft Word, but how often are you really ever using all of the features in Word? Soon enough, Microsoft Office will be irrelevant.

Zenphic said:

I just purchased Office 2007. I'm pretty sure I'll make it through University with it, albeit "outdated" when Office 2010 will come out lol.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't see google docs penetrating the corporate space in foreseeable future; reason being 'the issue of control over their critical business processes/information'. No online service can be trusted as such to hold such data online; let alone google. Also, there is issue with what you can actually do with all that information/data; and google is nothing more than rubbish at that for advance users atm.

However, for ordinary user who just need type couple of letters once in a while, or for SE's that seems not too bad of a solution.

eltigre4jc said:

I am fascinated by Office 2010. No, really, it's much better than 2007, although is in the RC stage. I can't wait to get the full functional pack...

As for those who don't write too much.....this ocasion( buy 2007 and upgrade free to 2010) , it's a great thing....

buendia said:

I use beta for a little while, seemed pretty much faster than 2007 (x64 version of Office 2010 on Windows 7x64), but I experienced a slight incompatibility in documents created with 2007 and edited with 2010 (some spaces between words and sentences used to just dissappear).

It had been probaby some sort of bug which was hopefully fixed by now.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Am I still the only one using Office 03? I am dissapointed by the incompatibilities between 03 and 07, and I may have to take the big leap for 10. I hope there are better compatibilities with the 2 older versions.

Puiu Puiu said:

I was thinking of trying Office 2010 because many say that it's a big improvement compared to 2007, but there are still to many bugs and for that reason alone i can't use it for work.

mrtraver said:

I still use 2003 at home. We "upgraded" to 2007 at work last year, and i STILL hate the ribbon interface. Give me back my menus, so I can find things again!! I couldn't even find the "help" button on 2007.

pyari said:

this meaN M$ excited to sold office 2010 like win 7.....office 7 is quite good but saving extension is (docx) is very annoying to novice user. hope this will be very easy to use in day to day work.

Kovach said:

I'm using beta 2010 Office for 2 months. I think it just improved version of 2007. Nice visual effects and ofcourse it works like a charm! I suggest everyone.

supyo said:

MS office really started to suck after Office 2003. I don't like 2007 and from what i've seen of 2010 i think i'll like it less.

BlindObject said:

Sure are some pricey software, I don't think I could ever put money down like that.

Yoda8232 said:

Reasonable prices, I hope the new Office uses less RAM and is faster than 2007. 2003 was perfect just need a nice skin.

NightAngel79 said:

I love 2007, got it from school for like 60 bucks and if '10 is priced similar i will purchase as soon as i can.

AfricanTech said:

[link]

There is a free "starter" edition that works perfectly well.

ryan29121 said:

I wonder how much difference there is going to be between 2010 and 2007. My guess is there is going to be minimal changes to the program itself, a new user interface, and more themes to its programs (powerpoint, excel, etc). Thats Microsoft for ya.

rufio said:

This is very good news as I just purchased Office 2007 a while ago. I didn't even know there was a ms office 2010... i'm gotta go to check it out lol

bearspencer said:

No recipe7, you are far from being the only one using '03.

Unfortunately some of my clients have upgraded to 7 so I was on the cusp of byting the bullet; this makes chewing a bit easier

ludoboss said:

There is a truth. When you need a complete software MSOffice is a guarantee. I tried OpenOffice, but when I had to fight for a simple/copy paste I understood many things.

Ithryl said:

The pricing of Pro version is nuts. Thank god I'm still a student.

Really happy with the 2010 so far though.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Been using 2003 for years without needing anything more. This is a pretty good incentive for me to finally get Office 2007 and move up to 2010 as well if it's worth it.

zaidpirwani said:

I hate it when companies do this sort of thing, giving facilities and offers to the SOON-TO-BE_CUSTOMERS but forget about the ones who already are using their services, no one thinks about these people, shouldn't they get some piece of all the giveaway....

pyari said:

I see its very easy to use.....I think its a user friendly.....keep it up. M$ making good tools and user friendly tools.

mrtraver said:

Have you heard of pschmidt's ribbon customizer - it gives you the old UI back as an additional option - it works really, really well.

Thanks; I will have to check that out! Hmm, the hard part may be getting them to let me install this on my work machine.

Didou Didou, Bowtie extraordinair!, said:

I got a 3-license pack of the Home & Student edition / Office 2007 for something like £60 on Amazon.co.uk

If it wasn't for that, I would still be using Office 2000 which is the last one I actually purchased.

raie_noire said:

i might have to take up this offer. Converting .docx to .doc is a *****...

megrawab said:

Does it have any other requirements such as capacity and driver versions?

megrawab said:

Does it have any other requirements such as capacity and driver versions?

fref said:

Why is the boxed Professional version 150$ more than the product key alone? Is cardboard and plastic so expensive in Redmond?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Save about 3GBs for your new office thats about all I can think of atm.

levar said:

Thats a great deal even though its kinda too late for me to eligible but, I'm looking forward to Office 2010 especially the new Outlook. Love the fact they're going social networking with it. I hope it get included in the Home and Student editions.

z71kris said:

If outlook works better then 2007, it so effing slow! I would be interested...

SweetIT said:

I agree with ourboyblue- Free and MS just don't go together. I wish they did but......nope they just don't!

buttus said:

I have Office 2007 Ultimate and I really don't see any reason at all to goto 2010. I suppose if people were still running Office XP, 2000 or even 2003 then the upgrade would definately be worth it (I for one LOVE the Office 2007).

ashwingeek said:

I use Open office, Ashampoo Office 2008 full version and Softmaker Office

But i am also trying the Beta version Of MS Office 2010, it is faster than Open office and richer in features

yangly18 yangly18 said:

so i wonder if this works if you get a student discount....it's a tempting idea actually. Imagine getting all of office 2010 for only $30....

techsp10 said:

It's a good price and I am so excited to see what are the additional functionalities of Office 2010. Microsoft just release a beta version of office 2010 wherein it is valid until October and it's quite pretty good.