First Windows 7 service pack coming in Q4 2010?

By on March 9, 2010, 12:50 PM
Even though Microsoft has never formally announced when it expects to deliver the first service pack for Windows 7, for one reason or another many have been speculating about possible dates. The latest comes courtesy of TechARP.com, which claims that the company has ditched its original plan of a 22-month development schedule and is now aiming for a release in the fourth quarter of 2010.

TechARP has been spot on for past service pack releases, so their latest report is at least worth paying attention to. The suggested schedule would fit with the timetable Microsoft used for the two desktop operating systems prior to Windows 7. It issued Windows XP SP1 about 10 months after the initial release in October 2001, and delivered Vista SP1 roughly a year after its troubled January 2007 retail debut.

Microsoft claims Windows 7 is already seeing stellar sales, but it might see a further boost following the first service pack release as many businesses usually wait until a new operating system is mature enough before migrating to it. No specific SP1 features were mentioned on TechARP's report other than saying it would fix "a few serious bugs" that could affect performance in certain scenarios.

ryan29121 said:

This is an early announcement of the service pack. 9 months in advance?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well, it could actually be just 6 months as we're talking a 4th Qtr release.

Windows 7 has been pretty rock-solid for me. Not sure what they would include in a SP release other than the monthly security updates.

mv670 said:

I dont have Windows 7 but, why have a service pack? The OS has been pretty good right? Are there any problems?

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Service packs are usually (as far as I know) just a cumulative collection of fixes with some addition addons. Personally like TomSEA said I don't know what they'd include since it has been very stable so far.

jasonk1229 said:

windows 7 is exactly what microsoft needed they better take care of their new cash cow

fref said:

Windows 7 is pretty solid already, so it will be nice to have a service pack, but I'm not really waiting for it.

elroacho72 said:

Maybe the early announcement is to keep those numbers growing.If Windows 7 is already the fastest selling OS in history I can only imagine how high the numbers will go after the release of the first service pack. jasonk1229 is right on the money, The cow is getting bigger every day.

DryIce said:

I have had Windows 7 for about 3 months and the only problems I have had with it are some compatibility issues with older software. Hopefully this service pack will address some of those issues.

drasho said:

I havent had any problem with windows 7 so far... so im not awaitin this impatiently =P

alexandrionel said:

I have been using Windows 7 since it was release and have updated it every day. I am pretty satisfied on how it work and haven't had any serious problems.

@Tekkaraiden

Service packs can also make some performance and stability updates that you cannot get by just minor updates. Remember Service Pack 2 for Windows Xp.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

it has to start some day ...

cheers!

ludoboss said:

Microsoft has a written story. Nothing new. This time the story stars right. Stable Os, versatile, easy to use. It's clear: old applications are... old. We can buy Win7ultimate and use Xp mode but... we must understand that this time we have a real OS: give "him" right apps!

mrtraver said:

I think the story hit on it - many business and government entities won't even consider upgrading until an OS is proven stable, and a service pack gives that perception. So the sooner MS releases a service pack, the sooner corporate and government customers will buy.

Renegeek said:

I think also it is to do with prates/hackers, that the SP will elimate all the hacked ver. of win7.

pipopaz said:

I can also corroborate with how good windows 7 works, so far no problem for me. As mrtraver said, it probably is aiming to business and government to jump on the OS.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The cow is getting bigger every day.

You mean the cow is getting fatter.

Anyway, I think its good on part of Microsoft that they are learning from past and taking more initiative with regard to their operating system's security/service updates in robust way. I think Vista is for Microsoft for what Pentium 4 was for Intel; sometimes companies need such a shock to awake to realities and needs of their customers, and I hope that the in the longer run from Microsoft will be responding in a similar way just like Intel i.e. innovation and that too at reasonable costs.

yorro said:

Archean said:

The cow is getting bigger every day.

You mean the cow is getting fatter.

Yes, some companies do tend to become assholes when think they have the monopoly on things.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I can also see this SP1 having some hidden features to screw over the pirates. Yeah Windows 7 is doing well but M$ always want more.

zaidpirwani said:

A service pack means reinstalling windows for the pirates.... it is worth it, if it fixes the bugs.....

Docnoq said:

I have enjoyed Windows 7 tremendously since upgrading last November. The only problem I have with it is with way it handles surround sound. Any application I used in XP took advantage of my surround sound, but that is not the case with 7. Apparently applications have to take advantage of 'exclusive mode' or something in order for them to produce surround sound. Most games do that, but I had to get a special plugin for it to work with foobar.

Also, 7 kind of killed my Audigy 4, but that is more Creative's fault than Microsoft's. Still waiting on stable drivers.. zzz Creative. Guess I'll be steering clear of them in the future

rskapadia2294 said:

i have used ubuntu , opensuse , etc!

windows 7 is the best OS i have used till date!

it has improved greatly in terms of GUI and also features! the superbar is the best!

windows vista sucked! :P

btw eagerly waiting for WINDOWS 8!

buendia said:

So what if we wait a little bit longer. Reliability updates regurarly come through Windows Update.For those who update, a service pack bring little improvements.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Docnoq said:

That and flash issues with 64 bit windows - but that again is Adobe not MS.

Yoda8232 said:

My question:

What is there to fix in Windows 7?

levar said:

Yoda8232 said:

My question:

What is there to fix in Windows 7?

good question but there are issues with 7 especially with compatibility and as stated above the 64-bit version, can't really think of anything now but there are problem with 7 may not seem that way which is good, it doesn't have as much issues like XP and Vista but its not perfect either. 7 is a very solid system though never used anything better, there's still MAC OSX I need to personally use but until that time comes I'm all Windows.

bcnu147 said:

As I understand it, MS releases their operating systems before they have truly tested them...they let the public suffer the consequences.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, not to defend M$ more than I have to, in some cases an OS needs to be widespread in the field before it'd determined what will go wrong.

But, there's probably a bit of truth in what you say, especially with respect to "Millenium Edition", and "Vista".

XP was a work in progress at release, but it continues to be quite popular, and serve admirably.

What M$ deals with is software compatibility. Mac controls, and in fact writes most of the software for their OS, so if they do something wrong, they'll only have themselves to blame. And we all, know that Steve Jobs won't have that. The fact, is in this regard, Apple does way more to stifle competition than mean old M$.

It's easy to put out a single line of BS, it's just more difficult to qualify it as nothing more than opinion.

That said, this is the op-ed portion of the show, knock yourself out.