ARM: Over 50 tablet devices will debut in 2010

By on March 10, 2010, 4:51 PM
Apple's iPad could face some serious competition as 2010 unfolds, if an ARM executive's predictions hold true. Roy Chen, ARM's worldwide mobile computing ODM manager, expects over 50 tablets to launch worldwide in 2010. The pending swarm of slate computers has even prompted ARM to secure more space at this year's Computex conference, where it will show off tablets along with e-readers, netbooks, and other hardware.

Although he wouldn't offer names, Chen said many upcoming tablets would appear in China, but companies everywhere are preparing to launch slate devices this year, including the top 10 telecom network operators. At this point, we know Apple, HP, and Dell plan to ship devices in the US. Chen noted that mobile carriers would unleash the first wave of tablets in the second quarter, with even more bursting through the floodgates in the third.

Apple's iPad will go on sale April 3, while HP and Dell have yet to define release dates for their products.

ToastOz said:

First! That's a serious about of competition indeed. Pants company's are gonna need to bring out a new clothing line just so they can fit into peoples pockets.

ToastOz said:

Maybe connect em to one of those cool pants chains people hook upto there wallets

SweetIT said:

Oh ToastOz- have you seen the concept pants with the iGotaBig***Pocket ad? You have got to google it if you haven't seen it. It's hysterical!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ToastOz said:

The iPad is just the beginning of Apple's ambitions - next they're going to take the fashion industry by storm. Shiny white trousers, designed in California, made in China, only works when you hook it up to iTunes, uses the same materials as all the other brands but with an Apple logo on it so it costs twice as much. Oh yeah and it has that massive pocket for your iPad.

ToastOz said:

Haha yeah apple are like when you buy a new car. After you purchase it they remind you of all the features you need to buy to keep it as cool as possible, like paint protection and a steering wheel.

flukeh said:

I think after the initial buzz this product and most if not all similar products are bound to fail. Apple are trying to fill a gap between laptops that just isn't there.

ourboyblue said:

What is the point of such a limited use item.

Mac lovers will wear their ipad as jewelry, displaying them like ribbons to prove their lolity/love for steve jobs and the "i" everything movement.

But the rest of us have no use for them. with free readers and free content like Blio Reader (http://blioreader.com/) coming and touch screen netbook like asus T91 what is the point. You can have a real computer not just a reader.

my 2 cents,

fadownjoo said:

Im getting one with nvidias tegra, 1080p playback baby!

Timonius Timonius said:

over 50 tablets?!? Yippee!!!! *ends sarcasm*

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

WoW! The new toy era, wonder how long will it take for everyone to return to their notebooks :P

zyodei said:

Any tablet + Keyboard + ability to run any program + multitasking + tablet remix of Linux (if that's your thing > Any iPad

I think the ipad will become an object of derision within a couple years.

pipopaz said:

I guess a little competition is good, right? We have the iphone, nexus one, droid, they all basically do the same thing except different hardware/software/engineering, so will the tablet war be different?

jacob007 said:

Let the tablets come...

I just don't see a huge market for this kind of devices i think this is going to be the technology flop of the century

rskapadia2294 said:

there's not much market for tablets! the main markets are for PCs and laptops and netbooks!

but they can be useful for those who want just basic computing on the move!

Serag said:

50 ?, very big number for just starting this kind of devices hype, the market for Tablets wouldn't be as big I guess..

fref said:

Maybe it's just because I haven't tried one yet, but I think I'll stick to standard laptops. I'm sure having a real keyboard is much more convenient for everyday use that handwriting recognition, and since you can close the lid on a laptop, the screen is better protected too.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That is a lot of devices for a fairly unproven market. But i guess someone either thinks there is a big market for these devices or they just don't want to play catch up with Apple if Apple is right.

pgbsamurai said:

I think the reason that tablets have failed so much in the past is that they failed to meet some of the basic desires when it comes to this kind of device. The average consumer interested in a tablet is going to want something light, with a large easy to read display, an intuitive user interface, with enough power to do some basic multimedia activities. Until now the tech just hasn't been there to provide all of these, older tablets were heavy and bulky. Most had horrible user interfaces and had very poor processing power. Those that had decent computing power you could fry an egg on after a few minutes of use.

With the iPad, Apple has addressed the user interface for the most part, and the tech has reached a level that a light devise with a large display with decent processing power is finally available. The Apple fanboys will snap it up as soon as possible, however, the iPad has some pretty big gaps that will hurt it in the larger market. It has no Flash support. Without Flash it is not going to be a better browsing experience, no matter what Steve says. It also lacks a USB port for thumb drive support. It also lack an integrated stylus. The multitouch interface is great, don't get me wrong, but part of the appeal of a tablet is the ability to write notes down not just type. I really don't want to have to go back to the preschool tech of finger painting to jot a note down. Finally you have Apple's increasingly draconian control over the App store and their philosophy that they will tell you what you want instead of letting you decide that for your self.

If other manufactures can overcome some of these limitations they will give Apple a run for their money. Otherwise, this tablet thing might flop again.

seefizzle said:

I would buy a tablet, as long as it isn't made by apple. I want to be able to torrent stuff, while listening to music, on the internet, talking to people on instant messengers. This isn't possible on the ipad. And the ridiculous hard drive configurations on the ipad makes me want to vomit. Hasn't apple figured out that hard drives are cheap? Give me the HP tablet.

Yoda8232 said:

So this is how books die.

jasonk1229 said:

Ill definately be buying one that is not related to apple in anyway

ansarimikail said:

I hope they keep the prices low and support multitasking

Alphadeus said:

I can't imagine there being "too" much competition for Apple. I had been wanting an ipod touch but decided to hold off since hearing about the ipad. The prospect of a bigger screen just makes me more excited.

It's kind of sad, but I probably would buy the ipad at first just to play Bejeweled :) Of course I could probably find other things to do with it :P

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

If somebody can make a Windows 7 Tegra 2 tablet, I WILL buy it. I'm afraid it just may not be possible as Tegra 1 & 2 are not x86 platforms.

levar said:

Apple really is in trouble the thing about Apple's tablet is that its limited, but the best thing about it is just that its Apple and I think thats a good enough reason to get one, I mean come'on 50,000 of those things are already sold that's... that was beyond my acutal estimate of how many people will even consider even getting it. Thats quite a lot and in just the first two hours :|

SweetIT said:

Apple isn't just a name it's a way of doing things. It's a lifestyle because of the wonderful way the i products just FIT into anyone's lifestyle. It's an i-Style.