Valve details Left 4 Dead 2 DLC, marks the game 50% off

By on March 23, 2010, 7:00 PM
Valve has revealed more information about Left 4 Dead 2's first DLC, which seems to contain more content than the company originally let on. According to a post on the official L4D blog, The Passing will deliver the following features: A Wicked Witch Bride, A Gargantuan M60, A Slashing Golf Club, And Introducing The Fallen Survivor, Meet 3 Left 4 Dead 1 Survivors, and New Game Modes.

Before you ask, "modes" is indeed supposed to be plural. The Passing was originally due to launch in late March, but it seems that may not happen with only a week left in the month. Nonetheless, it should be here before the summer.

Along with sharing additional details about the upcoming DLC, Valve has also reduced the price on Left 4 Dead 2. Between today Thursday, you can grab the title for 50% off, or $24.99. That discount goes for the four pack too, which works out to only $18.75 per copy. If you don't have four friends interested in splitting the bundle, feel free to express your interest in the comments and perhaps someone will bite.

treeski treeski said:

Ahh good gaming news today. I was just reading that Blizzard is releasing a new patch, 1.13 (today I think) for Diablo 2... and now more L4D2 news!

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

Are they temporarily dropping the price on the main game because they plan to charge players for the upcoming DLC?

flukeh said:

EXCellR8 said:

I'd say so. It sounds more like a mini expansion and has a lot more content when compared to some of Borderlands DLC, and you are charged for that.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

Yea I guess I saw this coming but whatever, everyone has their money hats on lately with DLC. The term "free expansion" is becoming more and more rare these days. Valve is always releasing good stuff though but I really wish they would fill us in on HL2 Episode 3 already...

BlindObject said:

It would be a real bummer if PC users had to pay for L4d2 expansion. I'd have to think hard about it.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well, it all sounds great. Like the others, I'll be interested to see if they end up charging for DLC. It does seem to be the way or the world these days.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

It's just a lot of people, maybe even the majority of L4D players, complained about Valve charging full price for a new game and making half-arsed free DLC for the first one. I will admit that L4D2 was worth $50 when it first came out last year but if they're gonna keep charging for DLC people may lost interest. I haven't played L4D2 in months and spending more money isn't really attractive as motivation to get back playing.

tengeta tengeta said:

Ugh what a crappy time to be broke, I had a feeling this one was going on sale within the next few weeks.

And seriously? A complaint about a game staying at its release price? You are about 4 years late... The only time a game drops in price is when it doesn't sell at all or its sequel is ON the shelves. Thank the current console generation and 12 year olds using moms credit card for that.

matchu said:

25 bucks? BOUGHT. hahaha.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

It's a well-worn topic, but a lot of L4D1 players did argue that L4D2 should have been DLC and not an entirely new game. Personally, I was fine with dishing out more cash for a sequel, and pre-ordered as soon as I could. Reason being I loved the first game and I knew Valve would improve on the franchise and take it to the next level; they did. I'm not fully on board for developers charging for add-ons though... just seems greedy after their game sold a billion copies lol.

megrawab said:

The characters look like they were modeled from real people... Weren't they?

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Damn you Steam and Valve! I couldn't pass this deal up and I had to buy it! Too many games, so little time!

Fragrant Coit Fragrant Coit said:

"The characters look like they were modeled from real people... Weren't they?"

Most of the Infected were based on footage from a hidden camera in the Lunchroom at my work.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Patience is a virtue. I picked this up last night off Steam. This plus the Batman: Arkham Asylum/ Just Cause deal they had a week or two ago has saved me around 50-60 bucks on three games.

Whiffen Whiffen said:

Pretty sure it won't cost anything for PC. However the xbox will probably be charged about 10 bucks again.

Docnoq said:

I considered picking this up, but.. naaaaah. The first one is good and all, and $25 for the second is a good price, but I just picked up Bad Company 2 on Steam this weekend and that will keep me busy for a long while. At least long enough to see L4D2 drop in price again (hopefully).

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

For anyone who enjoys retail over digital Newegg is selling L4D2 for $29.99 ( [link] )

Also is their any real confirmation on Valve charging for this or you guys just speculating? I can see this coming from the likes of Activision/EA but not Valve. And pretty sure the 360 will cost as it's not up to Valve but Microsoft.

odd said:

This is very exciting. Valve and Steam have enticed me into buying many games with their mid-week and weekend deals, where once before I didn't own many games. The Left 4 Dead series is FUN and exciting.

Authors, please keep in mind that "Summer" is December through February for about 700 million people in the Southern Hemisphere. Maybe the word "June" would be more appropriate?

JudaZ said:

isnĀ't it still thursday? The price is 49 euros .... not 5+% off anymore apparently