Victorinox intros unhackable, self-destructible USB drive

By on March 26, 2010, 4:12 PM
Victorinox, known for making Swiss Army Knives, has announced a new "unhackable" USB flash drive that MacGyver would be proud to own. Claimed to be the best of its kind, the Secure Pro drive uses several layers of security, including AES256 encryption, and fingerprint identification with a thermal sensor -- you know, in case someone's desperate enough to lop off your pointer.

If that weren't enough, the drive is also "tamper-proof" and any attempt to open it by force triggers a self-destruct mechanism that irrevocably burns its CPU and memory chip. During the Secure Pro's two-hour launch event, Victorinox challenged a team of professional hackers to break in for a prize of 100,000 -- a sum that went uncollected.

The Secure Pro drive is available in three capacities ranging from 8GB (50) to 32GB (180), which also includes a built-in LED light, as well as a retractable ballpoint pen, blade, scissors, nail file, screw driver, and a key ring.

KristoZ said:

If it has a built-in LED, why does it has a sticker stating that there is a Class II Laser product inside? Does it has both LED and Laser or just one of them?

Chazz said:

This is a must have. The badass in me won't have it any other way.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Man i want one!!!

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

KristoZ, a laser wasn't mentioned in the press release, only a "LED Mini White Light."

*Edit*

After looking around, it does seem to carry a laser pointer as well.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Alright...that's too cool. Time to break the piggy bank and get one.

mavis311 said:

it looks as if you may pick light, laser, or none. I love that they have the "flight" version available as well, no blades but still has pen and light/laser.

I'll be getting one as soon as I can find one.

Victorinox site (plain flash no security): [link]

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

chazz said:

This is a must have.

Indeed, this is a must have for any geek!

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Found the 4GB laser version for $88:

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

pretty neat... but not $88 neat

flukeh said:

This thing looks epic! I've always wanted a swiss army knife, but i've never been able to justify buying one.... Looks like i can now

tonylukac said:

My boss at the city of la's data service bureau got me a swiss army knife. Lost it about a year later.

Zeromus said:

First glance I actually thought the device could induce an explosion. Either way, great product for storing passwords and the such.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is super cool! Now I know what to give away at our office party next month!

maestromasada said:

a self-destructive usb??? That's just I need for my alter-ego

I want one! I want one!

pmshah said:

At first site it looks neat and cool. I have been using a variety of Swiss army knives for over 40 years. I wonder what kind of mechanical strength the USB part has to be plugged into the front socket of a cabinet in cantilever fashion.

With the weight of the knife I am sure either the pen drive will break or the socket will get desoldered.

megrawab said:

Is USB being hacked nowadays?... Nice security feature anyways...

Thompson said:

I need this, I need it so bad.

T77 T77 said:

this one could be used by the heads of states and national security agencies

an indestructible USB and a knife- the ultimate combination! protect your data and yourself

whiteandnerdy said:

I want one! sounds like it should be in mission impossible with its auto-destruct thing

AfricanTech said:

Only one problem - you can't take it on an airplane!

BlindObject said:

Totally want, and yeah, $88 bucks does seem like a lot, but I think it's worth it.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

One of my first thoughts upon seeing this

Only one problem - you can't take it on an airplane!

Yet another one of my first thoughts. Luckily for me, my wife HATES flying so this would never be an issue for me. But for business people who fly all the time, this could be an issue.

xyox said:

at http://secure.victorinox.com are the support page

next week starts a online shop from Victorinox with new Prices !!

maestromasada said:

Right, I couldn't help myself and yesterday I went and buy one of them. Got the presentation master model, 8GB, with the torch, blade and scissors for £53. By the way, there are single one with no accessories at all that are perfect for flying.

the gadget came with a lovely 1m USB extension that make the configuration easier if you are doing it from a computer rather than a laptop. The clip that attach the usb to the gear is plastic, pretty sure that it will break at some point. The unit also came with a brand new "paper clip" to facilitate the insertion of the battery, in case you haven't got a paper clip at home or have donate all of them to the paper clip recycling foundation.

It took me a whole frustrated hour or more to register two fingers. We use biometrics security at work, and I know my finger are ok, but for this memory stick, buf! it just doesn't read the finger properly. Every time I have been using it now I just put my passwd, cos the finger take 8/10 tries to accept it.

The software built-in came with, to my view, with lots of nonsense like synchronising favourites from IE or even synch selected folder from you area (that are not encrypted anyway!)

Finally manage to create a virtual encrypted drive, after lots of suffering and hanging. Happy to know though that my eventual data is secure on this drive, and tempted to open the unit at anytime, to see the smoke coming out of the usb when it self destruct itself, mission impossible 3, wow!

RockandRepublic said:

Everything but the price is nice.

sagejay said:

the self-destruct mechanism really sounds interesting, but too bad I can't bring it with my in a plane

peas said:

"unhackable" famous last words by every security-wannabe company just before they're hacked

LightHeart said:

Interesting

This sounds cool, though a bit pricey. What happens if you happen to drop it the wrong way? Does it think you are hacking in and self-destruct?

mavis311 said:

For those who are complaining about not being able to take it on a plane, you can get them without blades.

mavis311 said:

TomSEA said:

Found the 4GB laser version for $88:

Yeah, just like all the rest that I can find right now, those are not the same ones. They are just a regular usb flash drive, no fancy gizmos.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

guess you want to make sure you back up all of your data in case it blows up :-) Although it is probably better to loose your data then to have someone else gain access to it.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

pmshah said:

I got the 2GB version of this guy for Christmas 2 years ago. I've got a somewhat hefty set of keys that this is attached to and have put this in many computers without detaching my keys. There really isnt any worry of the drive breaking under its own weight when my keys easily weigh 5 times more than the device itself.

Also, I've taken this knife successfully onto Jet Blue and Southwest airlines, and into California's state capital building. However I was forced to ditch it when trying to get into my local city's court house. (Actually hid it in the bushes and retrieved it afterwards).

xyox said:

Prof. Tom Wearbou (Security Head Engineer of NSA) wrote:

"MKI's new Schnuffi chipset: This is not only a chapter for itself, it's also a new chapter in data history.

We got some samples about 5 months ago. After 4 months working and almost 1 Million investment in new Hardware the chipset blows the whole device up before we had a real chance to get our hand on the data...

This is not a normal chipset... this is a nasty *****! "

These should be standard issue for brainless government employees and politicians

Wish they had focussed on making the USB smaller rather than bulked up with pointless gimmickry. some sticks could fit in the recess of a penknife blade.

I had the 16GB version but returned it 2 days later: It is deadly slow (max. 5MB/s Write and 10MB/s Read)....