Victorinox intros unhackable, self-destructible USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Victorinox, known for making Swiss Army Knives, has announced a new "unhackable" USB flash drive that MacGyver would be proud to own. Claimed to be the best of its kind, the Secure Pro drive uses several layers of security, including AES256 encryption, and fingerprint identification with a thermal sensor -- you know, in case someone's desperate enough to lop off your pointer.

If that weren't enough, the drive is also "tamper-proof" and any attempt to open it by force triggers a self-destruct mechanism that irrevocably burns its CPU and memory chip. During the Secure Pro's two-hour launch event, Victorinox challenged a team of professional hackers to break in for a prize of £100,000 -- a sum that went uncollected.

The Secure Pro drive is available in three capacities ranging from 8GB (£50) to 32GB (£180), which also includes a built-in LED light, as well as a retractable ballpoint pen, blade, scissors, nail file, screw driver, and a key ring.

Permalink to story.

If it has a built-in LED, why does it has a sticker stating that there is a Class II Laser product inside? Does it has both LED and Laser or just one of them?

KristoZ, a laser wasn't mentioned in the press release, only a "LED Mini White Light."

*Edit*

After looking around, it does seem to carry a laser pointer as well. :)

This thing looks epic! I've always wanted a swiss army knife, but i've never been able to justify buying one.... Looks like i can now :D

First glance I actually thought the device could induce an explosion. Either way, great product for storing passwords and the such.

At first site it looks neat and cool. I have been using a variety of Swiss army knives for over 40 years. I wonder what kind of mechanical strength the USB part has to be plugged into the front socket of a cabinet in cantilever fashion.

With the weight of the knife I am sure either the pen drive will break or the socket will get desoldered.

this one could be used by the heads of states and national security agencies:)
an indestructible USB and a knife- the ultimate combination! protect your data and yourself :)

pmshah said:
With the weight of the knife I am sure either the pen drive will break or the socket will get desoldered.

One of my first thoughts upon seeing this

AfricanTech said:
Only one problem - you can't take it on an airplane!

Yet another one of my first thoughts. Luckily for me, my wife HATES flying so this would never be an issue for me. But for business people who fly all the time, this could be an issue.

Right, I couldn't help myself and yesterday I went and buy one of them. Got the presentation master model, 8GB, with the torch, blade and scissors for £53. By the way, there are single one with no accessories at all that are perfect for flying.
the gadget came with a lovely 1m USB extension that make the configuration easier if you are doing it from a computer rather than a laptop. The clip that attach the usb to the gear is plastic, pretty sure that it will break at some point. The unit also came with a brand new "paper clip" to facilitate the insertion of the battery, in case you haven't got a paper clip at home or have donate all of them to the paper clip recycling foundation.

It took me a whole frustrated hour or more to register two fingers. We use biometrics security at work, and I know my finger are ok, but for this memory stick, buf! it just doesn't read the finger properly. Every time I have been using it now I just put my passwd, cos the finger take 8/10 tries to accept it.
The software built-in came with, to my view, with lots of nonsense like synchronising favourites from IE or even synch selected folder from you area (that are not encrypted anyway!)

Finally manage to create a virtual encrypted drive, after lots of suffering and hanging. Happy to know though that my eventual data is secure on this drive, and tempted to open the unit at anytime, to see the smoke coming out of the usb when it self destruct itself, mission impossible 3, wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back