Crytek: Crysis 2 has the best graphics you've ever seen

By on March 31, 2010, 12:57 PM
It's no secret that the original Crysis launched with stunning graphics for its time and it surely set the bar for future hardware-crippling games. Now, only a few years later, Crytek pledges to raise the standard for awe-inspiring visuals with Crysis' successor, claiming that Crysis 2 has the best graphics in the history of video games.

The developer admittedly faces some new obstacles in getting CRYEngine 3 to run on consoles. "We know [developing for PS3] is a big challenge, but we're happy to accept it," said Crytek executive producer Nathan Camarillo. He also added that Crysis 2 won't just look pretty, as much attention is also being placed on gameplay elements.

Crysis 2 official screenshot

In addition to setting the graphical benchmark, Crytek's upcoming title will bring "great gameplay, some engaging fiction, challenging AI, killer weaponry, and a complete gaming experience like no other." The game is set in New York City and is reportedly due around September of this year.

Now...thats how developers must talk!!! ...that's how professionals accept new challenges by being "happy to accept it".

Valve are you reading this????

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Why should valve be reading this? all of vavles games on the console such hard compared to the PC version, has anyone played team fortress 2 on xbox? or the half life series? it SUCKS compared to PC.

i was actually crying slightly considering TF2 is one of my most played games on PC then my mate got the orange box on xbox. That was a sad day.

Anyway i was a massive fan of the first one so I bet this is going to be a killer! the sooner I can pre-order this the better! although will need to do some hardware upgrading in the mean time.

Damn it! that means i now have to make a choice between the 480 or ATI offering. gosh darn it!

windmill007 said:

They need to add a keyboard/mouse to a console...would there be any difference then? I always wondered why they don't do that.. I can in no way play first person shooters on a console using a controller. I need a mouse!

Funny how my Ge-force 260 GTX still plows through any game out on the market on my 24" LCD. And I have everything cranked. I laugh at people buying $500 video cards... Unless you have a larger or multiple monitors you might be better off investing in the rest of your computer,

After playing Crysis Im happy to say that it played very well.

Some games are made beautifully but the gameplay sucks. Kind of funny since GTA San Andreas is probably the worst looking game in the last 5,6 years but the gameplay is one of the best.

Chazz said:

hmmm, I thought they'd slack some on the graphics. Well here's hoping my 2011 rig can run crysis 2.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Will it be DX11?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

windmill007 said:

Yes, i believe there would be difference still, even with keyboard and mouse support, online stuff TF2 and L4D would still be a painful experience. you'd get slower loading times and second rate graphics (please note this may not be true depending on computer) Plus you won't have dedicated servers, map editing and creating and a low player limit. Just won't be as good.

Anyway i'm kinda with you on the GTX 260 thing, I have one and not very good screen (1440x900) and it does plow through anything, even the original crysis with everything turned up, although I do still have this feeling I may have to upgrade for this game =( but what would you do if you wanted to upgrade to a "high end" graphics card? GTX480 or 5870? i'm looking at only performance. Don't care about power, heat or space, got plenty of that thank you =P

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

Will it be DX11?

Indeed, i'm wondering to? I guess so, otherwise the statement "the best graphics ever made" won't be quite true =)

It won't be only in new york , that would be crap.

get the 480. it will be better in the long run

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes, the GeForce4 MX 480 is the perfect card!

burty117, if you want to upgrade specifically for Crysis 2, just wait for it to get benchmarked, and buy whatever is good at that time. AMD might have a new generation of cards by that time. Even if not, drivers will change (I figure the GTX 480 can be tweaked quite a bit), new models will appear (5890?), the 5970, still the fastest single card in most games, might be more available.

get the 480. it will be better in the long run

If you said so for yourself I think your right, It dosent matter if right or wrong and whats realy going on. If you said it will be, I think it will.

Hard to predict the future it is. Believe you must or dark thoughts cloud your mind.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

TomSEA said:

Will it be DX11?

Hi Tom, I have read that its going to be DX10.1, although i find that hard to believe.

at this point in time, if power is no limit, buy two hd5850's and kick 10 barrels out of a gtx480 for cheaper. Also, crysis is an ati/amd game this time around, they've been demonstrating eyefinity ect.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

misquoting you are

C'mon Guest, get it right!

He said "hard to see the future is" and " the dark side clouds everything" :p

"...claiming that Crysis 2 has the best graphics in the history of video games. "

You mean, even better than the original Space Quest?

Sorry, couldn't resist. What a silly statement.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sheesh, I'm still looking for a 60+ FPS card for Crysis 1 in 1680x1050!

The Radeon HD 5970 is probably as close as I'll get to this for another year.

That's how lazy GPU engineer's have been. It's still impossible to get a single card @60+ FPS on a 2 1/2 year old game.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Sheesh, I'm still looking for a 60+ FPS card for Crysis 1 in 1680x1050!

The Radeon HD 5970 is probably as close as I'll get to this for another year.

I think that rests more on the software coding than the GPU architecture 9, but anywho, you have an open PCIE on that DQ6 of yours and a pair of HD 5770's will get you to over 40 FPS avg @ 1680 x 1050 for less than $300. Here is a review [link] (written by our very own Steve Walton I believe) or a HD 5850 for just over $300. just an idea as getting from 40-60 FPS doubles the cost.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The thing is, The Fermi architecture does sound more future proof than the ATI offering, The thing is is that the Fermi has been designed for ray tracing and has been designed for insane lighting affects. I've just got this feeling that it will run this game better than the ATI offering, hence it runs the first crysis pretty well.

Thing is my screen si not super high res, i may upgrade it one day but i want to build a new rig soon as i'm still running on the old athlon X2 proccessors! heavily overclocked to get the first crysis running well though.

you are right valve made bad decision regarding ps3

The 480 is a joke now and will be a joke when Crysis 2 comes out.

Better invest in a upper end Radeon . . .

you are right valve made bad decision regarding ps3

PS3 display quality is dated and sub par at best.

Diverting resources to code for this overhyped solitaire capable system is pointless.

I expect Crysis for PS3 to be a Manhattan Project "platformer" - it explains the New York setting.

PC owners will probably receive the PS3 version as a mini game to play during installation.

:-p

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

you are right valve made bad decision regarding ps3

PS3 display quality is dated and sub par at best.

:-p

I like this guy! =)

Valve made a bad decision when they even considered putting there games on console! they just are not as good. I have my bro play the xbox next to me and when you just sit there and play the xbox version of half-life 2 or TF2 or L4D then play on PC there is just this sense of higher quality and you get into the game a lot quicker and easyer, hell eventually the mouse and keyboard melts away and you forget your just sat infront of your computer! while on any console... well you'd be hard pushed to get into a TF2 game at all, let alone the controller melt away.

I think its that the computer is more personal. the games are designed that YOU are playing on YOUR computer.

While consoles (for example xbox) has been designed that your playing on MICROSOFT's computer and that other people will be in the room with you while you play and of course split screen and all the rest of that rubbish.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

Well, I'll playing this on my GTS 250s since I don't want to spend anymore money on video cards this year. Hopefully CryEngine 3 is tweaked to run well on all manner of iron and not just the latest and greatest from Nvidia and AMD.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

some games are better played off PC, mostly when you want higher level GFX.

@ windmill007 - We can use Keyboard & Mouse on consoles, now to play FPS, i know for PS3 there's the XPS adaptor, that let you play with a USB Mouse / Keyboard.

We can't compare PC gaming to consoles, i just hope Crytek doesn't downgrade the game for it to be more console friendly, yet i would disagree with anyone that the consoles are bad, the architecture of these machines make them different, & they are cheaper machine to achieve what a med-class PC that cost twice to meet.

In the end, having a GFX card that cost the price of a console isn't a bad issue if you have the money, the PC remains my fav for a lot of good reasons.

@ Guest & burty117 - Let console gamers stay on console & PC ones on the PC & i'll be on both

It's mostly a matter of what kind of games i play, not only the quality & when i still get both, why not.

Best combo: PC + PS3 ...

cheers!

TheDumbass said:

i loved crysis and warhead but i had to paly those on med. and if i can even run crysis 2 on low without watching slideshow i will be very happy

z0phi3l said:

windmill007 said:

It's called a PC, if you want to use a mouse and keyboard. plus the experience will be much better

Zeromus said:

This is made for the 400 series, just can't wait!! Can't wait to kick ass in cities instead of palm trees, or maybe both

platinumsteel said:

Accept it or not.Activision delivers the best and most stunning graphics the world has ever seen..And unlike crysis from crytek it doesn't take much from your hardware...The first thing they should be talking about is trying to achieve or produce games that r not hardware crippling but can still deliver great graphics....I hope with cysis 2 I don't have to get a GTX 480 as minimum requirements.lol

i came across this forum,and man all i can say is wtf, you guys need to get a life. Talking about updating your computers every year and adjusting your 'rigs', what a waste of money . It' just a game!.seriously take a look in the mirror. Go outside and find something productive to do instead of living your lives through computer games. I wont lie , ive got an xbox 360 and i just enjoy playing it to relax and not take it so hardcore serious, i only play on it about 6 hours a week though. But i'm guessing alot of you play pc 4 hours a day plus.

myrmidonks myrmidonks said:

platinumsteel said:

Debatable.

hi yall I have the ati 5770 i pretended my gtx 260 broke and returnd it lol got 360$ back got ati 5770 and water cooling and new hd :) any how i have over clocked it to 1060 mhz from 850mhz seemed risky but actually it runs 80% cooler than the gtx 260? haha i allways have hated ati but now looks like i am switching when over clocked it runs crysis at ( 128 fps on low) and 84 fps on ultra enthusiest setting!!! yippy!! and by the time crysis 2 comes out this ati 5770 should cost 150$ - 80$? lets say 130$ just a geus so i well ad a second from my research i should get 140 fps on original crysis so i am preying for at least 30 - 40 fps with crysis 2!! good luck to all :) maybe you guys should hold off for 3 ati 5970's lol you wont need a new card for 10 years that way lol jk :P but for sure 2 ati 5870 would work im assumeing and that is comeing from an X nvidia fan as of last month. i also have a q8200 oc to 3.2 ghz stable runs at 32 degrees c full load i suggest to all to get the q9650 wait for 2 come out! get 1166mhz ddr2 and oc q9650 to lets say....5.6 or so lol woooooooooo!! 22.4ghz pcu that better work or i well throw computter out the window lol

also i would like to add!! if you conect your flat screen tv to your pc running in high resolutions has ZERO!!! effect on card i tested all resolutions not a single change :) tv's convert and resize the images!! i use 50 inch tv as monitor. I bet if any thing it gives your card a 20 - 30 % boost becuase the tv dose ALL the work when it comes to that unlike a monitor. and besides crysis is better at 50 inches of 1080 p :)

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

your just spreading the same (or less lines of resolution) over a bigger area. a pixel is a pixel, doesnt matter how big it is.

Nvidia tesla dude:p

Would i be able to run Crysis 2 on my laptop.My specs are-amd turion 2 m500 cpu 2.2ghz(1mb L2 cache),ati mobility radeon hd 4570 512mb vram ddr3 , 3 gb ddr2 ram , 320 gb harddrive,15.6"hd screen led display

can i run crysis 2 even on lowest possible settings.....

ravageuk said:

from personal experience with a laptop of the same specs, the answer to your question is not a chance in hell, those systems are only good for a few things, browsing, watching HD movies etc etc.... you would be lucky to even run doom 3 on low on 1 of those systems mate....

to run this game on anything above low (and get a very high frame rate) id suggest get a desktop, not a laptop.

ravageuk said:

Thedumbass said:

Lol... if you can run the original Crysis, you will definately be able to run Crysis 2, the engine has been incredibly optimized to output the same level of detail (if not more) than Crysis without needing what people 2-3 years ago would class as ridiculously high specs, however the PC version will obviously have much better graphics than console versions due to DX10/11 and im not 100% sure consoles support DX

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

How do you know how much the engine has been optimized?

fimbles fimbles said:

Quote: "Funny how my Ge-force 260 GTX still plows through any game out on the market on my 24" LCD. And I have everything cranked. I laugh at people buying $500 video cards"

Crysis performs at approx 21 frames per second at 1920x1200 on a 24 inch monitor acording to many many benchmarks across the internet.

I personally would find this unplayable.

ps3,xbox etc ....laff sorry but there video CHIPS are the size of watch batteries and could not be updated since there day of releases vs pcs.of course its going to be a challenge for them to make crysis2 run ok on console,ffs my cell phone is faster then any console out to date.....what a joke.