Crytek: Crysis 2 has the best graphics you've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It's no secret that the original Crysis launched with stunning graphics for its time and it surely set the bar for future hardware-crippling games. Now, only a few years later, Crytek pledges to raise the standard for awe-inspiring visuals with Crysis' successor, claiming that Crysis 2 has the best graphics in the history of video games.

The developer admittedly faces some new obstacles in getting CRYEngine 3 to run on consoles. "We know [developing for PS3] is a big challenge, but we're happy to accept it," said Crytek executive producer Nathan Camarillo. He also added that Crysis 2 won't just look pretty, as much attention is also being placed on gameplay elements.

Crysis 2 official screenshot

In addition to setting the graphical benchmark, Crytek's upcoming title will bring "great gameplay, some engaging fiction, challenging AI, killer weaponry, and a complete gaming experience like no other." The game is set in New York City and is reportedly due around September of this year.

Permalink to story.

"We know [developing for PS3] is a big challenge, but we're happy to accept it,"

Now...thats how developers must talk!!! ...that's how professionals accept new challenges by being "happy to accept it".

Valve are you reading this????

Why should valve be reading this? all of vavles games on the console such hard compared to the PC version, has anyone played team fortress 2 on xbox? or the half life series? it SUCKS compared to PC.

i was actually crying slightly considering TF2 is one of my most played games on PC then my mate got the orange box on xbox. That was a sad day.

Anyway i was a massive fan of the first one so I bet this is going to be a killer! the sooner I can pre-order this the better! although will need to do some hardware upgrading in the mean time.

Damn it! that means i now have to make a choice between the 480 or ATI offering. gosh darn it!

They need to add a keyboard/mouse to a console...would there be any difference then? I always wondered why they don't do that.. I can in no way play first person shooters on a console using a controller. I need a mouse!

Funny how my Ge-force 260 GTX still plows through any game out on the market on my 24" LCD. And I have everything cranked. I laugh at people buying $500 video cards... Unless you have a larger or multiple monitors you might be better off investing in the rest of your computer,

After playing Crysis Im happy to say that it played very well.
Some games are made beautifully but the gameplay sucks. Kind of funny since GTA San Andreas is probably the worst looking game in the last 5,6 years but the gameplay is one of the best.

hmmm, I thought they'd slack some on the graphics. Well here's hoping my 2011 rig can run crysis 2.

windmill007 said:
They need to add a keyboard/mouse to a console...would there be any difference then? I always wondered why they don't do that.. I can in no way play first person shooters on a console using a controller. I need a mouse!

Funny how my Ge-force 260 GTX still plows through any game out on the market on my 24" LCD. And I have everything cranked. I laugh at people buying $500 video cards... Unless you have a larger or multiple monitors you might be better off investing in the rest of your computer,

Yes, i believe there would be difference still, even with keyboard and mouse support, online stuff TF2 and L4D would still be a painful experience. you'd get slower loading times and second rate graphics (please note this may not be true depending on computer) Plus you won't have dedicated servers, map editing and creating and a low player limit. Just won't be as good.

Anyway i'm kinda with you on the GTX 260 thing, I have one and not very good screen (1440x900) and it does plow through anything, even the original crysis with everything turned up, although I do still have this feeling I may have to upgrade for this game =( but what would you do if you wanted to upgrade to a "high end" graphics card? GTX480 or 5870? i'm looking at only performance. Don't care about power, heat or space, got plenty of that thank you =P

Yes, the GeForce4 MX 480 is the perfect card!

burty117, if you want to upgrade specifically for Crysis 2, just wait for it to get benchmarked, and buy whatever is good at that time. AMD might have a new generation of cards by that time. Even if not, drivers will change (I figure the GTX 480 can be tweaked quite a bit), new models will appear (5890?), the 5970, still the fastest single card in most games, might be more available.

get the 480. it will be better in the long run

If you said so for yourself I think your right, It dosent matter if right or wrong and whats realy going on. If you said it will be, I think it will.
Hard to predict the future it is. Believe you must or dark thoughts cloud your mind.

at this point in time, if power is no limit, buy two hd5850's and kick 10 barrels out of a gtx480 for cheaper. Also, crysis is an ati/amd game this time around, they've been demonstrating eyefinity ect.

misquoting you are

Hard to predict the future it is. Believe you must or dark thoughts cloud your mind.

C'mon Guest, get it right!
He said "hard to see the future is" and " the dark side clouds everything" :p:D

"...claiming that Crysis 2 has the best graphics in the history of video games. "

You mean, even better than the original Space Quest?

Sorry, couldn't resist. What a silly statement.

Sheesh, I'm still looking for a 60+ FPS card for Crysis 1 in 1680x1050!

The Radeon HD 5970 is probably as close as I'll get to this for another year.

That's how lazy GPU engineer's have been. It's still impossible to get a single card @60+ FPS on a 2 1/2 year old game.

Sheesh, I'm still looking for a 60+ FPS card for Crysis 1 in 1680x1050!

The Radeon HD 5970 is probably as close as I'll get to this for another year.

That's how lazy GPU engineer's have been. It's still impossible to get a single card @60+ FPS on a 2 1/2 year old game.

I think that rests more on the software coding than the GPU architecture 9, but anywho, you have an open PCIE on that DQ6 of yours and a pair of HD 5770's will get you to over 40 FPS avg @ 1680 x 1050 for less than $300. Here is a review http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/ati_radeon_hd_5770_crossfire_performance,5.html (written by our very own Steve Walton I believe) or a HD 5850 for just over $300. just an idea as getting from 40-60 FPS doubles the cost. :)

The thing is, The Fermi architecture does sound more future proof than the ATI offering, The thing is is that the Fermi has been designed for ray tracing and has been designed for insane lighting affects. I've just got this feeling that it will run this game better than the ATI offering, hence it runs the first crysis pretty well.

Thing is my screen si not super high res, i may upgrade it one day but i want to build a new rig soon as i'm still running on the old athlon X2 proccessors! heavily overclocked to get the first crysis running well though.

The 480 is a joke now and will be a joke when Crysis 2 comes out.

Better invest in a upper end Radeon . . .

you are right valve made bad decision regarding ps3

PS3 display quality is dated and sub par at best.

Diverting resources to code for this overhyped solitaire capable system is pointless.

I expect Crysis for PS3 to be a Manhattan Project "platformer" - it explains the New York setting.

PC owners will probably receive the PS3 version as a mini game to play during installation.

:p

Guest said:
you are right valve made bad decision regarding ps3

PS3 display quality is dated and sub par at best.

Diverting resources to code for this overhyped solitaire capable system is pointless.

I expect Crysis for PS3 to be a Manhattan Project "platformer" - it explains the New York setting.

PC owners will probably receive the PS3 version as a mini game to play during installation.

:p

I like this guy! =)

Valve made a bad decision when they even considered putting there games on console! they just are not as good. I have my bro play the xbox next to me and when you just sit there and play the xbox version of half-life 2 or TF2 or L4D then play on PC there is just this sense of higher quality and you get into the game a lot quicker and easyer, hell eventually the mouse and keyboard melts away and you forget your just sat infront of your computer! while on any console... well you'd be hard pushed to get into a TF2 game at all, let alone the controller melt away.

I think its that the computer is more personal. the games are designed that YOU are playing on YOUR computer.

While consoles (for example xbox) has been designed that your playing on MICROSOFT's computer and that other people will be in the room with you while you play and of course split screen and all the rest of that rubbish.

Well, I'll playing this on my GTS 250s since I don't want to spend anymore money on video cards this year. Hopefully CryEngine 3 is tweaked to run well on all manner of iron and not just the latest and greatest from Nvidia and AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back