EVGA unveils water cooled GeForce GTX 480 and 470

By on April 1, 2010, 2:04 PM
After a long wait and repeated delays Nvidia finally launched its next-generation Fermi architecture last week with the GeForce GTX 470 and 480 graphics cards. But while the company was able to regain the single-GPU performance crown, it came at the cost of a very high operating temperature. Therefore looking to protect your investment and help you avoid any hardware damage from overheating, EVGA is releasing a pair of water cooled solutions.

The GTX 470 and GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW drop the large heatsink with the loud fan and will instead hook up to your liquid cooling system, while still featuring a rather high factory overclock -- and a premium price tag to go with it. Both cards get a 50MHz speed boost to achieve 650MHz and 750MHz core clock speeds, respectively. Shaders and memory have also been bumped to 1300/3402MHz on the GTX 470, and 1500/3800MHz on the higher end GTX 480.

It's interesting to see these cards announced already given that Nvidia said only models based on the reference design would be available at launch. In any case, the GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW is set to sell for $650, while the GTX 470 HC FTW is $499 -- which is actually not too bad considering water blocks can easily reach prices around $70-100.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It's getting to the ridiculous stage now for this card. Seriously - water cooling? And for $650?? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that nVidia has o/c'd the crap out of this GPU to create the heat it's generating. And of course they did that to be crowned the new single fastest GPU King.

I ain't touching these 470/480 cards with a ten foot pole.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

have it your way at GPU King......

TomSEA said:

I ain't touching these 470/480 cards with a ten foot pole.

Oh for gods sake Tom, will you be reasonable and look on the bright side for once?!.....you can have waffles with E-V-G-A on them ..... :p

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

red1776 said:

TomSEA said:

I ain't touching these 470/480 cards with a ten foot pole.

No no no.. red1776. You would really need two of them to cook the waffle in between them, otherwise they are just silly pancakes.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I'd say 750/1500/3800 clocks are just an attention grabber. Of course sometimes the bait snags the equivalent of New Jersey Whitefish, but hey!, gotta do something to distinguish yourself amongst the competition...right?

I think my definition of an overclock would be closer to the German PCGH site's (air cooled) efforts of 825/1650/4600, or course that may not be indicative of all cards, but it's fairly safe to assume that a waterblocked card will provide a little more peace of mind if the user wants to explore the possibilites.

So for $650 I can get a Wii $200, Xbox 360 $200 and almost have enough left over to get a PS3 for $300.

I do realize that these are the high end cards and only a select few people ever buy these. Most people like myself wait for the mid range card of new products to come out in the 100-200 price range.

Chazz said:

This is pretty much what you'll have to do to run these cards in the summer. I'll pass on buying a liquid cooling setup just to have a little peace of mind.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Nvidia....making food a 4 letter word

of course Trill,.....SLIcakes, how did i miss that?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Mmmmm....waffles while gaming!

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Man, took me a while to quit chuckling at the comments here...

I'm trying to look at the bright side on this... I guess if you already have a liquid cooling setup, this would be appealing. But, if not, add all the work and additional hardware to the equation if you want to know the price of having a 480 that isn't a space heater...

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Gaming waffles / pancakes... Now THERE is a true niche market.

Am I the only one wondering now if nVidia and EVGA might have done the cooking mechanism for the Cylon toaster?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

your aiming to low V. I did notice that this happened only four days after the Fermi launch.......

[link]

.......probably needed the heatsink off the GTX 480....a trillion watts.....think what else can dissapate that kind of power usage, huh?, huh?

timeless52 said:

Water cooling means one need not worry about the sides of one's expensive case being blown off by the nominally supplied air cooling solution.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Water cooling and these cards sounds like a recipe for a giant plume of steam escaping your computer.

Obakemono said:

This is a 250watt steam generator. If you have 2 of these cards in SLI, you could run your own steam powered turbo-generator to give some power back to the grid. Or steam veggies.

blimp01 said:

yep youll definitly need this for this summer, i can see air cooled cards hitting 100C easy in the next few months lol

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

especially countries where you have midday tempertures of 35 celcius. I think you can even bake eggs on them or what about redirecting the coolingfluid to a 10cm x10cm x 4cm aluminum block put a pot on it and start baking fries or even make coffee. (Couldn't help myself; this is definitely something that made me laugh out loud when Red, V and Tom started talking about it)

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

gwailo247 said:

This isn't even very from the truth. At load, this thing hits...what? 85 C? Have any of you actually converted that? It's roughly 190 degrees Fahrenheit. The boiling point of water is 212 F. Another 22 degrees F and you WOULD be boiling it. And this card might even reach that temperature in a fair number of systems given that not everyone has a very well ventilated/dust-free case.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

You obviously have little or no idea about how watercooling works. You obviously believe that the coolant (very few people use straight distilled/demineralized water) is somehow stationary.

For anyone who has an interest in the actual product...and a watercool setup.

GTX 470

Load Heatsink: 83C

Load Waterblock: 38C

GTX 480

Load Heatsink: 95C

Load Waterblock: 49C

The waterblock numbers are for the overclocked cards.

Single loop with CPU, 120.3 rad with low rpm fans, enclosed chassis, 5% perf. gain over stock.

The GTX 480 load figure (49C) is about 3C higher than my GTX 280's at full load ,also with a 120.3 rad -Feser XChanger 360, although with three 1300rpm Noctua NF-P12 (not LNA/ULNA configured)

Pft... heat... power WHO CARES!?! Thats like complaining that your corvette makes too much noise and uses too much gas. Stop acting like a little girl. the 5870 is like a base model mustang... no GT = No Physx. I want all sliders to the right and all functions/features ON! I will settle for nothing less!

Wow I just noticed how many people know absolutly nothing about "water" cooling. It doesn't use plain water... what do you people think that you just plug your computer into the sink or something? Thats what a radiator is for genious. I bet you though you just pour water in there and seal it up... HA now thats is WAAAY funnier than waffles. ROFL. Plume of steam... i think i just pee'd my pants... lol.

...not having to be a rocket scientist and not touching something with a 10 foot pole?

Any more clichés available?

Obakemono said:

I think that many people know how a radiator works. What the point is that if it is taking water cooling (polyethylene glycol and water) to get the GPU core temps back into some sense of managable temperatures, then the root problem is the fact that this card uses allot of power to do its job. In the day of shrinking die sizes and the focus on less power consumption in consumer electronics, a product like this that uses 500+watts at load is just mind boggling. I think the law of diminishing returns could be applied here, but at what cost? The cost of a higher electricity bill, or the pre-mature failure of a PSU or PSU wire? All this to get 10-20% higher performance than your rivial? Even if you water cooled this card, the heat load from the radiator dumped into the air in your home will need to be moved once again by the A/C system dumping that heat into the outside atmosphere. If you have the money to support buying this card and "Keeping up with the Jones" mentality, then go for it. I'll be happy with what I have and enjoy what it gives me, and I will steer clear of products like this. And no, I don't drive a Prius either......

Gonna get me a couple of those cards and be the first kid on the block to cool them with liquid nitrogen.... I'll bet they really rock in a crossfire configuration o/ced to the max!!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Hot as hell and Absolute zero.....

so...5870 = Mustang GT

....GTX 480 = Corvette

......I guess that makes the 5970 a Bugatti Veyron

might I suggest that if you dont know that Nvidia is SLI and not Crossfire......you shouldn't be handling LN2. :p

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

And let's be honest here. Unless the ones who tested these cards posted at what kind off room-temps they were working with, at rather not look at the temps that were posted. At load liquid cooled temps are 49 degrees celcius? I just can't put it trough my mind; unless the room-temps were 20 degrees celcius or less. I'd like to say that in other countries we rely on saving energy even if it means killing the A/C. That means we work at room-temps ranging from 26-35 degrees celcius. I myself don't like my card going higher then max 65 degrees celcius under load and play games ranging from warcraft to crysis at room-temps of 27 to 35 degrees celcius without A/C. Did Nvidia think about other countries where it gets hot at room-temps?

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

So if there was ever a time for it i'd like temps generated lower, Power-draw lower, and performance higher ranging from 30+ percentage. I'm an AMD/ATi fan and sometimes use NVidia or buy it for others. The GTX480 card looks nice but it just doesn't deliver what was to be expected (i'd rather buy a liquid cooled ATi Radeon 5870 or even 5970 with that money or a bit more and clock the hell out of it.)

Come on. big deal. Global warming hoax is over. Global Cooling is the new hip

And with Global Cooling, what do you want: an useless spaceheater between your legs to get warm or a spaceheater that actually is also the fastest GPU on the block?

May be you should prepare to buy 2 of those monsters and setup in SLI since a typical space heater uses 1500W and those 480 suckers only give 300W of heat.

....You don't use Water , You use Coolant , like in a Car Radiator , like "Prestone" (but "Thinner ,that's a small Pump) ....Takes Longer to Warm up than Water and has a higher boiling point....

... I have a Cheap Cooler for gaming , keeps my video card , ram and cpu cool ......and Budweiser too!.... It's called a Beer Fridge! ...Computer on the top ,Bud on the Bottom!!!....lol!...

Glorified Coffeemaker, with optional dual slot toaster. suddenly i want this...

Is SLI required for the waffle feature?

I am amazed at the naivety and fanboy comments made so far on this thread!

I don't give a crap about ATI or Nvidea, but about who creates the best

gaming solution for an immersive gaming experience I seek.

I work in a computer hardware store and grabbed 2 of these right away!

next week im setting it up, woot! full watercooling sli setup!

gonna set me back around 4500 aud for the full set up...

now I dont have alot of money but I save and dont waist it,

I personally think its not a waist, but say that to my girlfriend lol

Will post the results here when I get the whole system running

the acer GD245HQ full 3d 24" just arrived in australia

I will start with one initially then move to the full 3, 3d monitor set up!

I could probably buy a car for that price but who cares I love computer gaming and Im willing to pay top dollar. Here in australia 3d is starting to make big time! world cup in 3d streamed live

GO AUSTRALIA! This card has great overclocking potential and the temps are great from what I seen so far it looks as though Im gonna be doing some serious gaming if full HD 3d surround

when starcraft 2 comes out bo ya bitches lol Since sterioscopic 3d can really damage the fps on todays games why not provide a solution that is playable and immersive!

sorry guys but who the hell cares about this gpu war crap I see it all day and at work.

You know what people are doing when they are saying one company or one card is

better than another is trying to justify a purchase made or a future purchase.... grow up guys.

Lets hear about what people want to do with there card and the experience they seek instead of this childish my ***** bigger and better than yours! i mean cmon guys this is about playing games remember :)

current system:

4870x2 ati saphire

gigabyte ga-ep45

4gb kingston hyper x 1066

1tb WD

620watt corsair atx

cost me around $3000 aud 2 years ago

served me well but its time to upgrade

loved the ati for dx10

time to move to nvidea dx11 and stereo 3d woot

480gtx evga ftw watercooled x2 sli

UD7 gigabyte board

i7 930 Overclocked of course

6 gb corsair dominator ram

30 gb kingston ssd (OS)

320 gb velociraptor

1000watt corsair atx

3x acer gd245hq hd 3d ready monitors

peace guys feel the love!

Okay, I bow down to the men in this thread. I am your typical girl who knows nothing about computers other than how to check my email and post a new pic on Facebook. With that said, I need your help.

I want a "gaming" computer". Like most, I want the most bang for the buck. I never want the lag monster to ever rear it's ugly little head on my computer again. For once, while fighting monsters with my guild, I want them not to have to stop and wait for me to catch up. Sooooo...what are the most important components for me to look for and what are the names and models of said parts?

I have no intention of loading down this pc with other programs, strictly games.

Is there a reason why some go with desktop while others prefer laptop in the gaming world?

I may have to go with a Dell, because I have a credit card with them. Please help me. And if you could speak in blond girl terms, I would be very grateful. Thank you! Hugs all around!

Sandy