Weekend Open Forum: What's the first video game you ever played, and on what platform?

By on May 21, 2010, 8:14 PM
Visiting Google's homepage today you'll get a fun surprise: the company has transformed its ever-changing website logo into a fully functional game of Pac-Man to celebrate the classic arcade's upcoming 30th anniversary tomorrow. This is Google's first ever interactive, playable doodle and will stay active for 48 hours. To start playing, just hit "Insert Coin" where the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button usually appears and use the arrow keys to gobble away.

By hitting the Insert Coin button a second time, two users can play simultaneously, controlling Ms. Pac-Man with the WASD keys. Much like the original Pac-Man, Google has programmed it to glitch and end at the 256th screen.

The game was imagined by Namco developer Toru Iwatani in 1979 -- partially inspired by a pizza missing a slice, as the story goes -- and reached the U.S. in the fall of 1980 after being renamed from "Puck Man". At a time when shooter games such as Space Invaders ruled the arcades, Iwatani's creation stood out for its originality and simplicity. Pac-Man was an immediate success and has been credited with expanding video gaming to a wider audience.

As you stroll down memory lane remembering the good ol' days when you scrambled for quarters to hit the arcades, we want to ask you: what was the first game you ever played? If you didn't think much of it, what was the first title (and platform) that really got you into gaming? I remember playing River Raid quite a bit on an Atari 2600 back in the day -- and never got the hang of E.T., man that game was awful. Discuss.

Ididmyc600 Ididmyc600, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Jet Set Willy on the sinclair speccy (rubber key version)

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Starcraft; on computer of course.

ping pong on the first console :D

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Pong ....Atari, 1975 I think. we played it on our huge 25" Curtis Mathis.....now that was console gaming!

I think it was the following year they came out with 'Breakout' It had three colors.

Command and Conquer, the original on PC. I will always remember that game.

CMH, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

given I was a 5yo kid when I started playing games, I seriously can't remember the name of the game or the console....

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Space Invaders in the arcade - I was just a little kid and my mom took me out. I guess when she saw my eyes light up she couldn't resist letting me play.

DarkCobra DarkCobra said:

Pong . . . on a large commercial arcade machine at Columbia University in the mid-70's. Then all the space games on the Atari home machines in the early 80's, and up to my oldie but goodie UBISoft favorite "POD" (early 90's) which I wish they would refresh and reissue!

exca said:

Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Genesis :)

Reloader2 said:

Diablo II. Wow that was a game I remember (Yes I am of the newer generation.... 14 years old). Almost feel like playing it again

LightHeart said:

I remember wanting the Magnavox Odyssey game (basically pong) but my parents wouldn't get me one. In the arcade, some of the games weren't really video games but the first video ones I seem to remember are Asteroids,a tank game, a robot chasing you game (can't remember the titles). My first personal game machine was the Atari 2600, I had a ton of games and our house became the hang out spot. I even had a BASIC cartridge for the 2600. I guess that was a sign of going into IT. The great memories...

Timonius Timonius said:

I can't remember the first game i played but it was definitely on the Intellivison.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

was it 'astro smash' by chance?

Timonius Timonius said:

Yes that was one of them

steffinwolf said:

Pong on the Atari 2600 Console that connected to a TV, about 1975? The company I worked for had made a vibration test fixture for the console. Groovy!

Next was Dungeons and Dragons on the company's first Heathkit Computer "Workstation" about 1982? Our soon-to-be IT guy built it himself.

In both cases it was monchrome (white on black screen).

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It was Space Invaders. It was a computer of some sort. I used an audio tape to play the game, and they keyboard/computer had a rainbow on it. I was about five so I don't remember much.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

A Super Mario Brothers on the C-64. It was actually the Great Giana Sisters but with some sprite changes to make it look like Super Mario Brothers (which is funny as the Great Giana Sisters was a Super Mario clone).

twojpodlysyn twojpodlysyn said:

My first was "Dizzy" and "Contra" on Pegasus Console. Then "Big Nose" seriers and "Tanks", after 1998 I play Transport Tycoon Deluxe on PC.

eafshar said:

pong.. and then MARIO!

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Mega Man 2 on the NES...easiest Mega Man game I ever played, but not the last ; )

And yes both the console and game both still work. gee, I wonder if any of the consoles I bought in the past few years will last that long....

Obakemono said:

Buck Rodgers on Adam computer. Then Atari 2600, then my first computer was the Commodor 64

myrmidonks myrmidonks said:

pokemon game boy color

mrtraver said:

We had a Pong clone that we played on our 25" Zenith console TV, around 77-78. My cousins had some sort of triangular cartridge-based console that we played with a lot, then we got an Atari 2600 in 81. Activision rocked back then! River Raid and StarMaster sucked down my time and my grades.

nestorius said:

Space Invaders on the Trash 80 model 1 during 1975,76 but I also dearly loved Adventure, Hunt the Wampus and Hammurabi. Those were the days. My monitor was an old TV set with the video output from the computer kluged into the video in of the B&W 12" TV. I think the mass storage was a Radio Shack tape recorder with a slight modification that allowed me to save and load programs. The computer had 64K of dynamic RAM to execute the programs that were written in Basic.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

First game I ever played was Super Mario Brothers at a friends house and it was awesome. First game I owned was Tetris when I got a Gameboy which I still have. I always messed around with computers since my parents owned one but my real interests started with some fighter jet simulator, and eventually took off when I discovered an RTS called C&C =D, and haven't turned back since.

arkantos said:

Super Mario 3 on Family Computer triggered me into gaming. But it was Game N' Watch with the Fireman-like kind of game that I first played.

The FIRST video game I played was PONG in a pizza parlor in 1977. We thought it was the coolest thing in the world (what did we know....I was only 16 at the time).

Super Mario Brothers on SNES, i guess after that, Mortal Kombat 2 on the SEGA Genesis...

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Arcade table console....Space Invaders/Galaxian, then Missile Command when the trackball tables came out.

Pong on a Coleco Telstar, I think they called it Tennis, back in 1976. Later I played Space Invaders and Asteroids at a local bowling alley, before moving up to a Magnavox Odyssey2 (around 1980?) and playing sports games like Football and Baseball. Ah, the good old days...

techtonic techtonic said:

Super mario.......In a SEGA console....

ucould2 ucould2 said:

Hangman program that I had to write (code) to execute...then PONG next ( was so much easier to play with friends who couldn't, do code! ) on Commodore 64 with tape back-up. Out Run (driving game) Missile Command, Battle Zone, Mr Dig, Meteors \ Asteroids, on a "FOX machine" ( AMSTRAD copy ) a 3 inch floppy made Game Loading "simply futuristic". Gauntlet and Parsec when the mono-chrome screen got upgraded. My paper route "wage" spent when I started playing the arcade games eg. Speed Freak [link] And stopped playing Arcade Style games when Frogger- rip off came out and my "Game and Watch" replaced the spend spend spend

arkantos said:

C-64 - It was probably Spy vs. Spy, Archon, Aztec Challenge, Boulder Dash, Pole Position, or Spy Hunter. I remember being so frustrated using the one button joystick that never seemed to move quick enough.

Played Pong in 1973, It was a video game and console all in one. Very bacis but it was a video game

Silence said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on sega

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Hard to recall the exact game that was my first but I remember my first console, the Atari XL800 that used cartridges. I remember playing Pacman, Defender, Missile Command, Spy vs Spy, Karate, Enduro, among others.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

check it out, the first ever (there is some debate) computer game by Steven Russell (1962) you can download it here.

Features

* True gravitational sun

* orbital capabilities

* partial destruction on indirect hits

* flying ship debris

* stellar constellations

* fully configurable game parameters

* Completely FREE

* Source code is FREE and AVAILABLE

and find the story here

[link]

Pac-Man on Atari. ^_^ I'm feeling the nostalgia.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Oh wow... It must have been ping pong back in the early 80's, on an old atari that is still up un my attic. My most memorable gaming was at the arcade, playing Joust.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wendig0 said:

I meant "Pong". It's been a while

Chase HQ on ZX Spectrum

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

was way too long ago LOL ...

it was in the late 80s, i don't remember the titles, i started with those handhelds, then had an Atari 2600 with 100s of games built-in.

Yeah to the 1 that said Diablo II, i bow to your great taste LOL ...

I'm still playing it & need to find time to finish it (with LOD)

cheers!

Good Ol wolfenstein 3d and I logged some hours on it.

pole position from the atari console back in the 80s. wasnt even 10 back then ><

ahh yes... wolfenstein. the good old days with the good old graphics ;) wish i could go back to my youth play it on my old pc again *sigh*

chaboi390 said:

My First game was a wonderful RTS and FPS game in one, i might check on that, any ways, my first game was "Machines Wired For War". And what an Enjoyment that was,

Only if that game was recreated again, because win7 or vista can not support it anymore , But still, it logged my lots of hrs in my youth !!!

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Out Run on the Commodore 64 loaded by tape was probably one of the first, but it's difficult to remember

Later on I had a Sega 8-bit system which I played amongst others Alex Kidd in Miracle World on

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Like many others, pong. On a dedicated home console.