Apple updates Mac mini with unibody case, better graphics

By on June 15, 2010, 9:48 AM
Just as it started taking pre-orders for the new iPhone 4, Apple has quietly rolled out a redesigned Mac mini featuring up to twice the graphics performance of the previous model, a new HDMI port and an SD card slot. Taking a cue from the MacBook Pro line, the new Mac mini rocks a unibody aluminum enclosure that is only 1.4-inches tall and 7.7 inches square, with a removable panel on the bottom to access the computer's RAM for upgrading.

A new integrated power supply eliminates the need for an external power adapter, reducing overall system volume by 20 percent and keeping cable clutter to a minimum. Apple also says that the mini is the most power-efficient computer around, using less than 10 watts when idle.

There are two models: The first costs $699 and comes with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB RAM and a 320GB hard drive. The other model goes for $999 and is pre-loaded with Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server, dropping the slot-loading SuperDrive in favor of 4GB RAM, two 500GB hard drives, and a 2.66GHz processor. Both models now come with Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics, which is the same integrated GPU that comes in the current MacBook.

In terms of connectivity, besides the new HDMI port the system sports a mini DisplayPort connector that supports up to 2560 by 1600 pixels and ships with a HDMI to DVI adapter. There's also a FireWire 800 port and four USB 2.0 connectors, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, and built-in Wi-Fi (including 802.11n).

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

...[ ]... Apple has quietly rolled out a redesigned Mac mini featuring up to twice the graphics performance of the previous model, a new HDMI port and an SD card slot. Taking a cue from the MacBook Pro line, the new Mac mini rocks a unibody aluminum enclosure that is only 1.4-inches tall and 7.7 inches square, with a removable panel on the bottom to access the computer's RAM for upgrading.
I'm pretty sure that everybody was tired of either using a crowbar, or banging their mini on a sharp rock to open up the case. Thanks Apple, just in the nick of time.

KG363 KG363 said:

Still ridiculously overpriced

jink said:

Nice work apple. A little pricey but lots of power and useful features in a very handsome petite body. Would be an awesome Home Media Server but even better with a Blue-Ray option.

tengeta tengeta said:

Wow, that price went up way too much for my interest.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For that price I would expect a core i3 or core i5. I really like the looks of it, but they could really do alot better on the guts imo.

kakarot27 said:

ive recently been thinking of getting a mac because i dont have one and i would like the experience.....but WAY too pricey....

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

...but its shiney. That alone warrants Apple's 200-300% mark up on the system.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Its a very nice looking little machine. Wish the old ones looked like that, I'm using one right now as a media center computer with Plex for the software.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

kg363 said:

Still ridiculously overpriced

kakarot27 said:

You know they are still made by Apple......

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Finally a Mini with decent enough hardware that I'd consider buying it, but they had to go and up the price.... Oh, yes, and Blu-ray would really be nice. So, still not something I'd buy.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Looks better but the price again..

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The price is high, but if you are considering a Mac but don't want to pay the price for the laptops, and don't want a built in screen this is your only option other than a Mac Pro. And really, very few people would be able to justify the expense of a Mac Pro. The Mini is pretty powerful now as is. I think the price is too high for only using it as a media center, but for a desktop it isn't.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

The fact that you can't even get the older, cheaper mac mini is very upsetting to me. They've completely lost my interest at this price point and I was very close to buying one simply for a plex machine.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

LNCPapa said:

Well you can, but you have to look on Apple's refurbished page.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

My son just bought another Mac Mini, (the old, new Intel version) for his wife. The little turd whines like the dickens, don't know if it's the HDD or the PSU. I might add I don't care either.

The server version is interesting. I can see it having appeal in small business/home office setups.

I just compared it to the Dell PowerEdge T110 server and the Mac Mini is about 25% cheaper for a similar specced box. MS Windows Server 2008 is a big part of the price difference. With no OS, the Dell box is similar in price to the Mini.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Mine is silent, you shouldn't be able to hear it unless you are in a very quiet room and only a foot or 2 away. He should call AppleCare or take it to an Apple store.