PC users dropping fixed connections for mobile broadband

By on July 5, 2010, 1:35 PM
With mobile Internet usage skyrocketing, Berg Insight analysts expect an increasing number of people will replace their fixed PC connections with mobile broadband solutions. The firm reports that HSPA/LTE accounted for 17.3% of all broadband connections in Europe toward the end of last year.

The number of HSPA/LTE-connected PCs grew to 25 million during 2009, a 71% increase on-year, and Berg believes the adoption rate of mobile broadband in PCs will continue at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21.6% to 81 million by 2015.

Meanwhile, the North American market is evolving at a slower pace, with mobile broadband accounting for 7.1% of the total number of connections. The region should grow at a CAGR of 34.8% to 34 million subscribers over the next five years.

That figure is bound to rise as the number notebooks increasingly feature embedded mobile broadband connectivity. Around 5% of notebooks in Europe and North America were WWAN-equipped last year, and that's predicted to reach 45% in five years.

Austria is said to be the most advanced mobile broadband market, with a 15% penetration. Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Ireland and Portugal aren't far behind with penetration rates above 10%, while Belgium, Netherlands, and Greece are under 3%.

How odd. I was on mobile broadband & switched to a fixed connection. I guess your mileage varies, but a couple of providers I used were.. well.. awful. Now, after returning to a fixed connection.. there is no way I would go back mobile broadband.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Care to throw some names out there? What services didn't you like?

I don't agree with what u said, i had try mobile broadband 7.2MB and 21MB plan but the broadband connection is slow. Im doubt PC user will drop fixed connection for the next 5 year.

Basher said:

It isn't surprising that countries the size of many of our SMALLEST states would be further ahead in the mobile broadband market. Most of the current US market for mobile broadband in the US revolves around the larger cities.

Many cell providers are offering data plans with tethering now, which can take the place of having a WWAN equipped computer. Setup tethering and make your phone a mini-hotspot. With the insane popularity of smartphones, I don't see mobile broadband growing as much as they think it will, unless they are taking tethering into account.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

As things stand right now, I can't see mobile broadband conversion in the US ever growing in the same proportions as European countries. With the big telecom companies limiting and capping bandwidth, and the spotty or nonexistent availability of solid broadband signal in areas other than big metropolitan locations, there is quite a bit more to overcome when making the switch here vs. Europe.

gobbybobby said:

here in the UK newspaper The Times has said an increase in mobile users is becuase of new anti piracy laws here on the UK. [link] However you can still get caught usign mobile BB so it seems pointless. Also Mobile Broadband Unlimited packages are being scrapped by most providers. As I hit my unlimited* broadbands LIMIT this month (100 gigs,) I don't think I will be changing to Mobile BB anytime soon (Also can't get it where I live anyway)

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I know I wont be picking up Mobile Broadband any time soon, but I live in a rural state where we are lucky to even have spotty 3g coverage :P.