StarCraft II downloadable now, official requirements released

By on July 16, 2010, 4:14 PM
The long-awaited sequel to StarCraft is set to release in less than two weeks, and those planning to buy the game digitally can get ahead of the launch madness by downloading a copy today. You can download StarCraft II in full regardless of whether or not you've actually purchased it, but it won't be playable until July 27 at 10AM PDT. At that point, you'll be able to start the client and activate the game.

Blizzard has also revealed the system requirements for the complete title, which demands slightly more horsepower than the SC II beta but it still shouldn't isolate folks running dated hardware. The minimum requirements call for:

PC: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (Latest Service Packs) with DirectX 9.0c, 2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor, 128 MB PCIe NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT or ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card or better

Mac: Mac OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer, Intel Processor, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT or ATI Radeon X1600 or better

PC/Mac: 12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista/Windows 7 users, 2 GB for Mac users), DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection, 1024X720 minimum display resolution

Ideally, Blizzard says your machine should have Windows Vista/7, a dual-core 2.4GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, and a 512MB GeForce 8800GTX/Radeon HD 3870 or better. For a more detailed look at where your system sits, see our breakdown of the beta and watch for our in-depth GPU/CPU performance review as soon as the game is out.

treetops treetops said:

If anything windows xp will put less of a strain on your computer and give a huge performance increase to low end systems. I don't think it even takes advantage of 64 bit, at least it does not in the beta, so there is no point that I can tell in using vista or 7. They will only slow you down.

teklord teklord said:

Shouldn't run worse than Supreme Commander, I would estimate.

P4 type PCs should only use XP, you don't need Vista/7 slowing you down even more than you are already at.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow...those minimum specs like something out of a computer museum. 128MB RAM? And an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro?? I think I was using one of those about 8-9 years ago.

I know minimum specs usually = completely unplayable. But what engine did they build this on?

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Not true, i've played the beta on integrated, it was meh 30fps. Low settings are gross though.

The made their own engine I believe, but they also used Havoc.

treetops treetops said:

No doubt the expansions will will be beefed up.

teklord teklord said:

I'm a 60 FPS vsync man myself. You probably need HD 5850 & a modern quad to do that with this game and have it locked @ that. This game will be huge as all Blizzard IP's are.

BTW, the 128MB RAM was for the GPU not the RAM on the mobo. That's a slideshow with either.

Maybe when i get a bet computer i will get windows 7, at the moment my E6400 @ 2.8ghz and geforce 8800 gts 512 sits quite happy with windows xp, but if i load up windows vista my hardrive constantly on and cpu and gpu fan are louder.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

1920 x 1200, highest settings,E4600 and 9600gt @ average 40 FPS.

treetops treetops said:

Im at 90+ with vsync off, 1680x1050 hd res. Specs are in my system specs. 58-59 with vsync

teklord teklord said:

Wow, sounds like Warcraft III which had accessible system specs for it's time and still looked pretty good. Would love a nice 1920x1200 monitor, I'm at 1280x1024 and games run really well at that res on max settings w/some AA & AF.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

58-59 with vsync

Obviously?

teklord teklord said:

, post: 906941"]Obviously?

No, not obviously, his system is almost fully modern tech. His GPU is a year old but still very powerful nonetheless. Lot of folks won't see his results.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

TomSEA said:

Just goes to show how long they were working on it.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Yes obviously if his FPS is 90+, then it would be 60 with vsync.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Tekkaraiden said:

TomSEA said:

Just goes to show how long they were working on it.

Zing!

Gars Gars said:

the installer is only 7.05 Gb,

so you downloaded the installer and

after this u receive a message that says:

Come back on 27/07/2010

so? the game is ok but isnt launched?

or what? onother 7Gb download?

confused :-/

teklord teklord said:

, post: 906975"]Yes obviously if his FPS is 90+, then it would be 60 with vsync.

It read like you were saying everyone could get those results, hence my reply.

Still need to go back and beat the first game. I saw a mod for this one time that used the Warcraft III engine for this game, wish I could find it again.

mailpup mailpup said:

...after this u receive a message that says: Come back on 27/07/2010
Probably needs to be activated. Since you are already downloaded, after a short activation you can start playing right away as opposed to others who will be spending launch day downloading.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

A [link] for your perusal.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

gars said:

the installer is only 7.05 Gb,

so you downloaded the installer and

after this u receive a message that says:

Come back on 27/07/2010

so? the game is ok but isnt launched?

or what? onother 7Gb download?

confused :-/

The game requires an active battle.net account to get pass the login screen.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

The game requires an active battle.net account to get pass the login screen.

No, actually you can pre-download the game, but only on 7/27/2010 will the game work.