WOF: How much did your motherboard cost?

By on September 3, 2010, 11:31 PM
[Weekend Open Forum] Computer enthusiasts and gamers, we're not the type to skimp on a motherboard that will house an uber-fast processor, GPU and other peripherals. But while recently upgrading my workstation to a new Core i7, I noticed that for daily use I don't really need SLI or Crossfire support (I often upgrade to the next generation's fastest single GPU model). Nor do I need dual gigabit LAN or USB 3.0 for the time being. Instead, for about $100 I can get a motherboard with the same chipset, basic cooling, same number of expansion slots, plenty of USB ports, and more than enough SATA ports to get me going (eSATA rocks for external backups). Sure, you will receive additional bells and whistles with a $200 motherboard, but just a few years ago $100 barely got you a functioning board from an obscure Taiwanese manufacturer. Today you can get by with that budget and find plenty of quality options from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and most other major manufacturers.

On that same note, I must applaud AMD for not forcing users to unnecessary motherboard upgrades over the last few years. As far as I can tell, the same is true for the upcoming Bulldozer, which is still months away. As good as Intel CPUs have been since the first Core series CPU was launched, they have required more extensive system overhauls every step of the way.

Put simply, in this Weekend Open Forum we want to know how much did you spend in your current motherboard, and what brand and model of board you are running. While you're at it, tell us about the rest of your core PC components. Bring it on!

kyosuke said:

$299 just to be defective, then $599 which my **** of a friend ruined by breaking the Liquid cooling system.

Basher said:

LOL@ Kyosuke. Someone paid too much. My trusty ole' EVGA 680i LT cost me a mere $120 3 years ago.

princeton princeton said:

Only $120. I'm saving up for a Donkey Kong arcade machine so I can't afford those expensive $300 boards.

atinoco said:

Just got a ASUS Rampage III Formula for $299 @ NewEgg

My current motherboard set me back me back $60. Although, local dealers have recently lowered the price to $50. The reason for the board being so cheap, is because the FSB is choked almost like a nuclear core; always bottlenecking. But the PC itself was used as an N64-emulator platform, so we didn't notice any difference.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R for $100, well worth it

LauRoman said:

$88 on a ASRock P45DE after an older 775 Asus board got fried. When i'll be moving to Core i ore Core i 2nd gen i'll think about what to invest into.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

ASUS S1366 P6T. Cost $240 AUD ($218USD) January 2010. Has three PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, so pretty future-proof. Rest of specs are in profile.

grvalderrama said:

MSI G31TM-P21 = U$S80 aprox. $310 argentinian pesos that time... now it should be cheaper. Pretty good deal. It's enough for me, since I've not expand the RAM yet. I'm buying +2gb to dual-channel and a 5850 or 5830 when my financial situation gets back to normal, pretty soon indeed. I'll keep my system spects up to date

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Gigabyte EP45-DS4P -about half retail price ($NZ150/$US100) bought from a business that was halfway through an IT upgrade when the recession showed it's teeth w/ Q9400 (after 8 or 9 Q9400/9550/9650's managed to find one that that would OC 30% on stock VID )

Primary system (presently on loan) Gigabyte EX58-UD4P- received as a gift, but at the time of purchase would have cost around $NZ470 (w/ Core i7 950 and 6Gb Crucial DDR3-1600).

Both excellent boards.

CodePhoeniX said:

Asus M2N-E ~$120 3 years ago Socket AM2. Just dropped in a Phenom II X4 945 in it. still going strong.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, about 215 AUD. Extremely happy with it, helping me push my i5 760 to a good 4.0ghz under 1.3 vcore

Decimae said:

Only 40 euros. I was stupid back then(2 years ago).

Asus M2A-2MX(Mobo); Athlon X2 5000+; Asus DK EAH4870; 2x2 GB DDR2 (some cheap kingston); *very stupid* Sweex 600W PSU; Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Leeky Leeky said:

I spent £75 on a Gigabyte EP43-UD3L motherboard a couple of days ago... Though had it been replacing my LGA775 for an AMD3/LGA1366 setup I'd have been prepared to spend double that.

That said, its money well spent now my Q8300 is sat at just under 3.3GHz

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

1995 SEK for a Maximus Formula almost 3 years ago

At todays exchange rate that turns out to be $275 or £180

CPU I have gone through Q6600 > Q9450 > Xeon 3230 > Xeon X3370

The move from Q9450 (12MB cache) to Xeon 3230 (8MB cache) was due to a BIOS incompatibility problem, my LSI 8704ELP RAID card would not work with the latest BIOS revisions, I had to use an old BIOS that did not support my CPU

A few months later this was resolved so I again upgraded back to a 12MB CPU (Xeon X3370)

The whole system is watercooled aswell, also houses a nice Auzentech X-Meridian soundcard

I paid 150? (190$) for my crosshair III Formula in what was a bargain (for Europe) and I'm extremely satisfied.

GA-MA770T-UD3P I bought last autumn (september/october), counting in dollars about 100$. A bit less than Athlon X4 I've bought together with. And it's fun, becouse it still costs the same at my country (im from Poland). The only difference, 620 model is replaced by 630. But now my mobo is "an old generation", and isn't cheaper at all :D

I have an Asus P5QL PRO which isn't an expensive board at £60 but its at least quality its lacking firewire and esata but those are both things I don't use, but it left me with extra money to spend on better ram and a Core2Duo E8400

Bought an Asus P55 Pro cost around $190 last year, great mobo no problems so far. But the most expensive thing is my dual XFX 5770 in crossfire which was $320.These are in PCIe x 16 @ 2.0 x8 mode and I also have a Asus GT240 for Physx on PCIex16 @ 2.0 x4.

my Gigabyte P55 US3L costs 100? , i prefer to pay more money for cpu(core i5 650) ,ram(ocz 1600mhz ddr3) and GPU(gtx 460 1MB)

Pioy said:

Per Hansson said:

(...)

Still got the same GFX card as I bought back then too, 8800GTS 512MB (G92) oced to 850/2075 core/mem (...)

How you did it? My one is crashing at everything over 750@GPU. Any Voltmod or special version?

stwongbad85 said:

around $160, purchased last tahnksgiving

mobo: ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

at the time (still is a damn good deal actually) it was a steal for a 1366

it works very well (do not plan to overclock though) and was a breeze to set up

used to build this system

coolermaster cm 690 case

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366

OCZ Technology Gold 6GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MH

PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2

LG 22x DVD±RW Super Multi Drive - GH22NP20

some big orange zalman cpu cooler

Pioy said:

Every even most crappy mobo works ok without overclocking

fimbles fimbles said:

Asrock n570 esata 2.

Cost me 50 pounds nearly 18 months ago.

I bought this motherboard as a " cheap and cheerful" motherboard with no intention of overclocking at the time. Since then i have managed to overclock my phenom 9850 be from 2.5 gz to 3.0ghz using the multipler and it has ran perfectly stable for the past 12 months!

Hurrah for bargain boards!!

ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard $79.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s $69.99

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor $95.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop $84.99

Johny47 said:

A ASUS M3N72-D AM2+ nForce SLI 750a Motherboard and cost about £68, it's very nice and has plenty of features but I got a new identical HDD for RAID 0 and I just can't get it to work sadly(I've never done this RAID thing before though).

dedparrot said:

£110.00 for an XFX X58i (socket 1366) from ebay. Retails for £195.00.

Last week, i discover the motherboard is defective, and now i can't eve return it.

I'm going to purchase a budge 1366 motherboard.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I believe I paid about $350 for an Intel DX38BT motherboard, e8400 C2D and 2GB of DDR3 memory about 2 years ago. I don't particularly like the motherboard but I can't justify replacing it until it dies.

About £190, a total waste.

$90 for:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

KG363 KG363 said:

My MSI K9A2 cost me $140

Duskfall said:

Asus P6T for my 920 i7 i paid 160? (210$) but i am extremely satisfied.Prefered the deluxe version though :P

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Pioy said:

Yea, voltmod

It could actually do 870Mhz core from the beginning, but I have had to scale that back to 850Mhz

So even with watercooling the poor underfill used on these cards shows... (The system actually hardlocked twice when playing Starcraft II so I think 850Mhz is pushing it now too, poor card )

[link]

Asus P7P55D PRO since this february, bought it at $210 in my local market and has been giving me good results with my core i5 750 and ATI 5770.

GA-EP43-UD3L, $85.00 (US). I bought it, when the board first came out. It does what I need it to do.

Punkid said:

y doesnt anyone have an intel mobo? i have an intel dg31pr, works well....

Xero07 said:

about $80 bought a ASUS M4A78 PLUS a little over a year ago.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

My MOBO is a GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R - bought it for $206. It has all the bells and whistles that comes with a pricey board. I love Gigabyte boards. Don't know if I'll ever go back to anything else.

Here's the rest of my stuff - this is my new build from just a week ago:

Intel i7-930 processor

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V cooler

OCZ Agility 2 128GB SSD

Western Digital 1TB Black Caviar HD

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333

Two MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 video cards (SLI)

ABS SL series SL1050 1050W SILVER Certified, modular power supply

NZXT Phantom case

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

EVGA X58 SLI, bought August 16th 2009 for $319.94 along side my i7 920 for $331.96. $13.99 air shipping got it to my door next day and its been going strong ever since, best $709.45 I ever spent.

Pioy said:

@Per Hansson: how they say - "Nice job, well done"

mrtraver said:

$105 for an ASUS P5Q Pro (LGA 775, Intel P45) in september 08 - part of a newegg combo deal with my Core 2 Duo E8500. I don't need the second GPU slot, but with the combo deal it was cheaper than a single-slot from MSI, ASUS, or Gigabyte.

In 2005, though, I paid $160 for a Socket 939 DFI NF4 Ultra with a lot of features i didn't need or use, such as SLI (with a #2 pencil mod), dual gigabit LAN, and tons of voltage control and overclocking options. I could have gotten by with a board that cost half as much!

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Foxconn nForce4, $60.

Alster37 Alster37 said:

I spent £65 on mine and to be honest It doesn't have as many features as I would like it to

£46 Asus P5P41D.. emergency Buy after Gigabtye n650i went tits-up .. and frankly its faster, and better. The dual channel memory works in dual channel mode. SLI was Ballox to me. I'm all about storage now, adequate GFx, meaty CPU

I have bought Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard for 270 Euros. A very powerful motherboard which supports also USB 3.0.I am very satisfy with it. I absolutely recommend it to everyone.

I am a big fan of Gigabyte products.

psycholexx said:

Hi, I basically own the same rig as two years ago, only with an upgrade or two. I share the same opinion about buying an new motherboard, i usually chose the best board without the bells and whistles, that gamer oriented products have. My motherboard is an Asus M3A78 (around 70-80 EUR at that time), i upgraded the cpu to an Phenom 2 925 about an year ago, from an older X2 , 6GB DDR2 800, a Leadtek Nvidia 9600GT, a Promise Tx2650 SAS/SATA RAID controller and a RAID 0 configuration of two SAS 74GB/10000rpm seagate drives, also two WD 6400 AAKS (640GB Blue), an Bluestorm 2 550W PS and an Antec Three Hundred as a case. Also thanks AMD for having a longlife platform, that can be upgraded more easily.

Crosshair IV Formula £170, Phenom II Quad Core 965 £160, Dominator GT 4GB BEMP £170, Powercolor 5850 pcs £230, Western Digital VelociRaptor 450GB 10000RPM SATA 6Gb/s X2 RAID 0 £440, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s X2 £140, LG CH10LS20 BluRay - ROM - DVD±RW Drive £60

cgrue said:

$131 2/09 -- ASUS P5N-D Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

75$ for my Gigabyte board. My only complaint is that if I try and use a PCIe x16 and a x1 video card at the same time, the x16 card will not start. Not an issue though, until I get windows 7.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Asus Crosshair Formula IV for $230.00 from Newegg and all the PCIE slots are full. I use nearly all the features it has and overclock, so it was worth it to me.