Halo: Reach sales generate $200 million in first day

By on September 16, 2010, 12:09 PM
Microsoft has revealed that its latest video game, Halo: Reach (review), has generated $200 million in global sales on its launch day, as first posted by TechFlash. Reach starts at $60, with special editions priced at $80 and $250, while a special Xbox console plus the new version of the game goes for $400.

The $200 million number makes Halo: Reach not only the biggest game Microsoft has ever released, but the biggest launch of any game or movie this year (so far, anyway). For the sake of comparison, Halo 3 garnered $170 million in its first 24 hours, and $300 million in its first week. The number of gamers playing Reach on Xbox Live has topped the number playing Halo 3, though Microsoft did not disclose exact numbers.

The Halo franchise has sold more than 34 million copies in its nine-year history, grossing nearly $2 billion in sales, helping Microsoft push its Xbox console forward. The company is hoping Reach will continue the trend for the 2010 holiday shopping season as it takes on Nintendo and Sony with its Xbox 360 Slim as well as Kinect.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow...that's a hunk of change. It cost $160 million to develop the game so they already have a $40 million profit in one day.

I'm curious to see what the PC-only Civilization V sales are going to be when it is released next Tuesday. I know I already have my pre-order in.

Zilliak said:

i actually enjoyed this halo

seronx said:

Bungie is rich and now they are going to the money grubbin croc Kotick lol

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Civilization V is being released Tuesday? A crap I forgot to pre-order, guess that's what happens when when you're local EB closes.

Prosercunus said:

I ordered Halo: Reach off Amazon and used my $20 credit I got from that to order Civ V for 30 dollars. Cant go wrong. I got Reach on day of release and have yet to jump into it.

So basically this weekend is revolving around Halo: Reach and Football.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This isn't to surprising, I think most expected Reach to be a huge seller and likely outsell Halo 3 on the first day.

@Proser Likewise got Halo same day from Amazon and enjoying it so far. But I haven't decided on what game to use my credit.

@Tekk You still have time just head on over to Amazon and pre-order for same day delivery.

tengeta tengeta said:

Tekkaraiden said:

Believe me when I say that the GameStop's that replaced them aren't any better. I'd rather see nothing than that hellhole.