Panasonic enters handheld gaming with the Jungle

By on October 5, 2010, 3:02 PM
Panasonic, or rather Panasonic Cloud Entertainment, last night revealed the Jungle: a new handheld video game console designed for MMORPGs. The device will allegedly sport a high-resolution display, a full QWERTY keyboard along with dual touch-sensitive D-pads, and may run atop a custom Linux build (not Android). The Jungle will also apparently feature a mini HDMI port, a micro USB port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. Alongside the system itself, Panasonic will launch a Battlestar Galactica title (made by Bigpoint), a weekly web show called Online Underground (thanks to a partnership with Machinima.com), and of course support for third party developers.

The Jungle already has its own website, pics, a few teaser videos (including a look at the Battlestar Galactica title), and even a jingle on the MTV show Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory. We've included said media after the jump, courtesy of Ars Technica, Gizmodo, Engadget, and the official device's website.

Panasonic is keeping as many details as it can secret, so beyond what we've already mentioned and speculated, all there is to say is that the focus appears to be online gaming and the cloud. That doesn't have us particularly excited, but we'll wait till we hear more (specifications, more game titles, and a price would be nice) before giving our final verdict.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the design of the device. After trying several cellphone keyboards (which it looks like they just dropped one of those in) I would have preferred spacing between the keys, like they are on the env 3. (the phone I have) I hope that Panasonic is able to get plenty of support from developers, and steal some market share from Nintendo

Emil said:

mattfrompa said:

Competition is definitely good, but I'm not sure Panasonic has a winner here :/

Killview said:

what is this .. i dont even ..

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ok this is random?! will give it a go though now I've heard of it and if any good, I may buy one, I hate Nintendo products end of and the PSP didn't really do it for me, I/m not going to hold my breath for Microsoft to release a portable Xbox so I guess this may do the trick!

Emil said: