World of Warcraft 4.0.1 patch preps for Cataclysm

By Mike Fischer on October 12, 2010, 7:53 PM
The preparations for World of Warcraft's upcoming Cataclysm expansion are going live today with the launch of the 4.0.1 content patch. While not including Goblins or Worgen yet, today's patch does feature some major design overhauls and brings in-game systems up to date for Cataclysm's December 7 launch. The game's lore will also see some changes in the next few weeks as scripted events begin taking place across Azeroth, foreshadowing the coming destruction and revamp of the game world.

The majority of today's changes streamline interface elements, such as the character, spellbook, and guild management screens. Also, hoping to adjust how players choose and play their roles in-game, 4.0.1 has shed some of the bloat that has built up over the previous expansions. Rarely-used spells have been removed, talent trees have be redesigned and shortened, and the glyph system has been refined.

Several new features have been launched as well: "reforging," which allows players to alter the stats of their gear and replace less desirable bonuses with others that better suit their spec or play style, and a new water rendering system, which adds a nice cosmetic improvement to one of the game's most outdated-looking elements. A list of all changes made in the patch can be found here.

Actually, WoW is one outdated-looking element...

(See what I did there?)

KG363 KG363 said:

I could not care less about WoW.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

They just keep dumbing it down, trying to make it easier for the masses, cause you know, Blizzard doesn't make enough money of WoW suspcriptions already...

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Haters gonna hate.

Personally, after a long hard day at work, I enjoy relaxing by playing WoW. I'm not a hardcore WoW gamer like I used to be, but I still find it greatly entertaining.

Yes, Wendig0, because we really got nothing better to do than to come to Techspot and bash WoW for no reason. Ahh no, the game is just repetitively idiotic. There are so much better alternatives. If YOU like game, that doesn't make it good.

Chazz said:

If you don't like the game, that doesn't make it bad. See what I did there?

@Chazz Your ironic redundancy is not amusing. Indeed, there is nothing wrong with you liking the game; that doesn't make it bad, but when someone points out the game's obvious flaws, to call those people "haters" is simply childish and clearly fanboy-ish.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Reading is fundamental Guest. You can plainly see that I said, "Personally, after a long hard day at work...". Stay in school.

Which obvious flaws were illustrated in such great detail Guest? Please elaborate for us. Perhaps you were merely referring to your flawed grammar from a previous post?

because we really got nothing better to do

Chazz said:

It wasn't meant to be amusing. It was me showing just how idiotic your reasoning was. You didn't like it, so my point was taken.

fullmetalvegan fullmetalvegan said:

LOL - Nope I agree, Haters gonna hate. Nobody has pointed out any "obvious flaws" and reasons why it's not a good game, just moronic biggotry cause they personally don't like the game.

WoW is fine, I haven't played any other MMO's that have been more entertaining yet.

People hate things that are successful. Some hate that they used to play something when it was new and nobody knew about it, then 'outsiders' come in and 'dumb' the gameplay. That's just how it is and always will be. I like playing WoW, it has some mechanics in it that are for the 'noobs' out there. Paladins, hunters, rogues even, all would be your easy characters, you get more in depth with the harder.

WoW is not a horrible game. As far as all you that think graphics make the game, go back and play Halo or camp in CoD. WoW is more intensive on your computer than those (well, if Halo3/reach were for PC). There are more calculations... let me just stop here... you don't like the game, don't play it, and don't bring in 'facts' that you think you know. You like the game, like it.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

As far as MMO's go IMO nothing beats WoW, and one of my pet peeves has actually been the water rendering quality

I have not played for over a year but might just have to take a look now to see how Cataclysm unfolds.

Good work Blizzard!

Proofix said:

Best MMO Ever good work Bliz... 12mil players + no comment!!

veedubguy said:

I just re-activated my WoW account 2 days ago, before I even knew there was going to be a new patch updating everything to get ready for Cataclysm... As a player who has played WoW since it's original launch date I can say that yes, they have definitely made parts of the game easier... But I also understand the reasoning for it... When the game first launched, there was a level 60 level cap, 2 continents and roughly a dozen zones, now we are coming up to a level 85 cap, a literal huge world, 2 more new races etc. For new players starting the game, they don't want them to be overwhelmed in the beginning, they want people to be able to jump in, understand the game play mechanics and have fun as well as get to the new content ASAP. I personally enjoy the improvements and am looking forward to the new content!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

veedubguy said:

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I haven't played WoW since June, but I my friend did that 10 free day trial re-invite thing, and I screwed around with it some last night. I was a little shocked to see tho the patch for it was 4.7gigs .

But I finally did get to play some last night and its a whole rework of every class. Its almost like playing a new character after not playing for several months & with all the changes.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Wendig0 @Chazz

Hahaha, was I the only one who didn't fail at recognizing that these "Guests" are actually the same person? Obvious troll, people, obvious. You just fell for their tactics.

But, that just show you how much you care about WoW, I guess. :P

Zilpha Zilpha said:

I don't even bother giving second thoughts to people who post negative things anonymously. Create an account, post your ideas and let's have a discussion. Otherwise, you just look like a troll.

I'm excited about the new patch. I'm not a die hard WoW fan - more of a die hard FFXI fan than anything, but the complete overhaul of WoW is exciting. With the recently launch of XIV basically being a joke, I was amused to see the date they picked to release Cataclysm. The irony is not lost on some of us, Blizz.

I just hope that it lives up to the hype.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I was a hardcore wow player, but I'm starting to hate blizzard... besides the suscription they charge you extra for the expansion... making you pay more to keep the game fresh, when they are forced to do it or the players leave, but they are so adicted that they just pay.

I started a trial account to warhammer which I upgraded without having to buy any game, just pay the suscription and its a pretty cool game, the PvE is not as complex as in WoW but the PvP is amazing, you get to (for WoW users) be horde and raid ironforge, win items doing it, exp, reputation and pvp medals to get gear.

=)

Zilpha Zilpha said:

Well, paying for expansions is a pretty standard thing. You don't pay for the content patches inside the expansions - that's all covered with the subscription fees.

Besides that, you don't have to buy the expansion to keep playing. You do have to pay for it if you want to experience the new areas and new content.

I like the MMO pricing models - and in this instance Bliz is justified as they are overhauling the entire game to bring it more up to date with current technology. It's a little more involved as far as development costs than say, your run of the mill offline game that gives you maybe 60 total hours of play value. At least in an MMO, you have social aspects that keep your interest piqued.

Well i have played WoW back over 4 years ago when it was a game that required Skill to play your character. I have earned the Field Marshal Title in PvP then and that was no joke. I then took a 3 year break from June 2007 to July 2010 when i returned. The game has become a freaking JOKE to play and if people are going to complain about Blizzard making changes that make PLAYING YOUR CLASS HARD you need to quit the game because you are a fail PLAYER.

If all the people complaining now that things are too hard to do or i am loosing all these stats that i need should go back to the Pre- Burning Crusade days and would understand that what they have now in this game is handed to them and not hard at all.

There were never websites for Speccing your talent trees you clearly read it and specced it because you knew how to play your class and do things. Now everyone posts What site can i get my character spec from im too Stupid to figure out how to play this game myself so i need someone to do it for me.

Cataclysm will be bringing a wake up call to all the noobs that "think" they know what there doing by reading forums and specs posted online instead of just developing skill themselves.

I have a mage that out DPS's others with gear that is almost double mine and they have used websites to learn how to play there class. I have never read a site or forum but yet actually played my character and learned to play and be better than others that are incompetent with what is going on around them.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

What does this rant have to do with anything? You sound pretty fired up, but geeze o whiz take a breath.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Wendig0 @Chazz

But, that just show you how much you care about WoW, I guess. :P

I knew it was the same person. I just felt like replying. I usually don't reply to "guests" at all, as they usually don't have anything beneficial to bring to the discussion. In this case however, I felt like calling this guest out for the mouth breather that he is. No skin off my back either way.

+1 Zilpha

jjbeard926 said:

Chazz said:

If you don't like the game, that doesn't make it bad. See what I did there?

Actually, that was quite amusing. Made me laugh.

veedubguy said:

I honestly don't think Blizzard is worried about the game being too hard, or too easy... I think they just want people to have fun and enjoy the "game"... Remember, that is all it is, a game...

Zilpha Zilpha said:

I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to games - there are some people who just aren't happy unless they are rabid fanatical foaming diarrhea of the mouth over them.

People literally can go off onto any unrelated tangent no matter what the original question or comment was. It's pretty entertaining.

vangrat said:

Holy crap man, no one here is even arguing that WoW is hard. Chill. Blizzard have made the game easy, because th playerbase demanded it with their $$. They saw that by making the game casual friendly, more players would play. Yes this means that the 2% of hardcore players (mind you that's 2% of 12 MILLION people) would be pissed. But, the other 98% would love it. Marketing wise, that is a solid move if I have ever seen one. Yes there are crap players still, but they have to wait till the last patch of the current expac to see all of the content. Whereas, the "hardcore" players will already finished all of that, maxed out their achievement scores, and be sitting around town laughing at them while they try to pug an end game raid run that fails repeatedly.

Hardcores still have their game to play, it is called hardcore mode raiding, or top end arena pvp. The casuals have their modes to play now too. Yes it is easier to get gear, everyone is in purples at the moment. But you have to remember that WOTLK has been out the longest of the last three versions, as such, people have had the most time to get that gear too (although it is WAY easier to get now too).

This will be changing in Cataclysim. Just read up on anyone trying to do heroics in beta atm. It is hell. People who have been aoe smashing through mobs will get wiped out. Why? Because it is the begining of an expac, just as the begining of WOTLK running heroics was HARD. You had to learn the fights, learn your class, get the gear. Now everyone has the gear and know the fights, so all of these instances are easy. Most people knew their class as well (this is now changed since 4.0...but gear makes up for a lot of nubbishness).

As for speccing, so what. This doesn't even matter anymore, as you are locked into a single tree until 31 points. Therefore, even if you do screw up, you only screw up a little bit. Yes it is dumbed down. But the trees are all that much better for it. Yes there are no more hybrid specs, but hybrid specs sucked anyways.

I am very glad you know how to play your class, maybe you can teach those players you find that are failing how to play too. This is a social game, just because you are good yourself, doesn't mean you are going to go and down LK by yourself.

BTW, I have played WoW both hardcore and casually. I prefer casual play because I work and do not have the time to put towards the game. I do not gripe that I cannot get the uber hardcore gears that the hardmoders can work on. Why would those same hardmoders gripe about casuals getting gear below them? Never made any sense to me...

veedubguy said:

Well Said Vangrat!

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Wendig0

Well my friend, that's exactly what you think you did.

Some trolls write wittily to try to give the impression they aren't trolling. What they look for with this is, however, to try to get you all worked up. Maybe not physically showing anger, but mentally. And when you respond to their moronic arguments, and you realize your arguments haven't been answered, that sense of win fades away, because you realize you didn't shut up a person who talked bad about WoW for no reason, you realize you tried to shut up a person that talked about WoW just as a way to get that argument out of you, making the time you spent writing your argument seem like a waste of time. Why else you think they haven't answered to your (obvious) good points?

But it happens, it's the law of the internet.

---

Now on topic. To me, WoW is alright. I used to play it but on private servers. I actually co-owned one with a Canadian friend (I think it was since 1.0.8). It was fun and all, but it got boring mainly because Blizzard got a bit lazy with the features. I felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again. Of course, you can overcome this feeling if you have friends to do things with, in which case WoW is definitely a win. Otherwise, is very repetitive, in my opinion.

I played WoW for a few years and loved it, it was a great game that didn't require too much effort to be able to enjoy fully. If people like it, they can like it, I don't see why folks come on and attack people for liking a video game.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Might have to wake up my old account to go for a stroll to see what changed.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

I took my first brake from WoW since the game started in June. I randomly came back today and lo and behold a big patch. WoW is a great game and I made friends all over the world. I will no longer play for long periods but It was nice to catch up with old friends, now how do i re spec my warrior again?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Tekkaraiden said:

Might have to wake up my old account to go for a stroll to see what changed.

I was thinking the same thing, I got a Level 47 Palidin then gave up. Am interested though as to what has changed indeed.

treetops treetops said:

My gripe with wow is that it takes to long to get anything done. Waiting 1 hour+ just to get a 25 man group drained all the joy from wow for me. Also they don't have way points, it takes forever to get anywhere.

World of walking

World of waiting

Which is exactly why I left WoW this morning...deactivate my account before the next set of charges came up. I play to relax, not to have to respec and redesign my whole list of characters every few months. I still love the game, but this is one respec, reset too many for me...so voted with my feet. Going to find some game that doesn't try to force me down a very narrow path, or one that at least doesn't pretend to NOT do so while continually trying to find a way to do so.

WoW was fixed so it can be as complexed or as simple as you make it. This is the reason why it is the biggest MMO.

Vanilla WoW was fun but that isn't what made it "zomg the better of all of wow gameplay" it was the fact that it was new,fresh and took time to figure out what to do. Now today, after nearly 6? years it's the only MMO that has rising playbase in the history of MMOs.

This is the idea behind 10man raids, 10man heroics, 25mans and 25man heroics. A game won't keep it's playerbase by making players wait 20-54 minutes to do a 5man dungeon nor will a new member want to spend hours trying to figuer out where that crabs are that drop that meat he needs.

If you liked Vanilla WoW and quit around TBC or even early wrath because it got to "noob" friendly come back after cata. It won't be vanilla but it will be as close as it has ever been since vanilla.

and let us all be honest?

The graphics are nice if your pc can handle them. There are so many ways and settings when it comes to the graphics of the game where it comes down to the players PC and not so much the ingame graphics.

graphics make a game you say?

Some of the funnest games I've ever played was on my Atari and NES.

You say that "People have nothing better to do than bash wow" sarcastically, insuing that you wouldn't waste your time doing it. Then you go ahead and do it anyway. You sir, are a turd.