2K Games apologizes, BioShock 2 DLC coming to PC after all

By on October 28, 2010, 3:46 PM
Earlier this month, 2K Games announced that BioShock 2's downloadable content wouldn't launch on PC, citing "timing and technical issues." Naturally, that threw PC gamers into a fit of rage, because both The Protector Trails and Minerva's Den DLC are available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It seems that anger has paid off, as the developer has retracted its cancellation. "We have resumed development… and they will be coming to PC," said company representative Elizabeth Tobey.

Along with that fantastic news, Tobey provided an explanation on why the projects were originally axed. Apparently, the studio had a working build of the Protector Trails, but there were still unresolved bugs that "would trigger problems with the game during specific situations." 2K couldn't fix those issues in time and ultimately had to move on to "other projects," according to Tobey.

However, thanks to the (understandably) harsh community outpouring, the developer says PC gamers can expect to lay hands on The Protector Trials in December if all goes well. What's more, the content will be issued free of charge. There's no timeframe on Minerva's Den as it requires "significantly more dev time to complete." Is this good enough to get 2K out of the dog house?

KG363 KG363 said:

Free? Yes they are out of the dog house

SSaywell said:

Sweet, can't wait

ElDaFree said:

Very surprised to see this happen. I think since the game is Windows Live enabled, Microsoft had some influence on making this happen. Take into consideration that their digital distribution system is in for an overhaul and they are trying to get more content up for download. But either way, it is nice to see some love for the PC audience.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"What's more, the content will be issued free of charge." OK, I'm willing to forgive and forget.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I like how they say there not releasing it then M$ twists there arm and they give in like a little kid offered ice cream. Its good that they are rectifying this for the many pc users that are out there.

ilidiankid said:

Hmm is it just me or the free DLC to please angry fans tactics has been getting popular (2K did the same thing with CiV)? This is great news anyhow.

Breech said:

I'm a huge fan on Bioshock 1&2 and hopefully both DLC's come over to the PC. I was furious that these were gonna be shelved but I can't argue with "free of charge". If 2K is watching these boards then I have to say..........Infinite........really, why? Doesn't even look like it should be labeled as a Bioshock title. I'd much rather stay in Rapture for a third time, just open it up a bit. Don't get me wrong, Infinite looks like a great game but it departs way too far from the first two and looks like a standalone. Why ruin a good thing?

vangrat said:

Free will get anyone out of the dog house. However, someone needs to find the people who thought that it would be a "good" idea to even consider not releasing it on the PC and slap them. I mean seriously, what kind of response did they truly think they would get? Game makers consider that all of their target demographic should be focused purely on the console genre. When those same gamers that play their console games, probably have computers as well. Not to mention that some games (FPS in particular) just play better overall on a PC. Yes they probably do not see hard sales in terms of boxes going out the door. But digital download should more than make up for their losses in the game stores. NOT TO MENTION, the gamers that buy the games for the computer, DO NOT SELL THE GAMES BACK TO THE STORES THEY BOUGHT THEM FROM. Come on now, that means that every computer game sale is 100% profit to the company that made the game, not the stores, not middle men, the actual game creators...ffs get your marketing heads outta your asses people.

Eddo22 said:

*Yawn* I used to be a fan of Bioshock.. I didn't care for the 2nd and after replaying the 1st a few times.. it's really lost all replay value. Hopefully Bioshock 3 really kicks it up again and brings the series back to life.

treeski treeski said:

I never had time to get into the Bioshock series... but this is totally fantastic news.

cyrusjumpjet cyrusjumpjet said:

Yesss... still need to finish the first game (I'm a jumpy gamer -- what can I say) but this is great news. Happy to hear they're sticking with it for the sake of the PC gaming community.

motrin said:

okay.. now remove DRM from B2 and i forgive you

Eddo22 said:

There is will be no bioshock 3. Bioshock Infinite will have its own story line and from what i have read should be considered as a sequel to a sequel.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Good to see them reconsider, especially since 2K publishes a lot of PC games. Hope they won't neglect us again as this one really sat hard with a lot of gamers.

Mushroom said:

Good, now just fire whoever thought it would be a good idea to try to stick it to PC players.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Its fantastic to see game developers listening to the community.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

this is good news indeed, i was one of those people ragging on the 2K forums.

hamitaltintop22 said:

This might be relevant to some people here: steam is having a Halloween sale and it bioshock 1 is only $5. Techspot will probably have an article about it tomorrow as they always do with weekend sales.

Back on topic, I dont understand how it can be so difficult for them to port the dlc to the PC. They already have the game ported, and this is only a dlc, it shouldn't be that hard.

Also, I think companies forget that, at least for console gamers, people trade-in or sell their old games. Releasing the dlc, now after the game has been out for so long might not be the best idea in terms of maximizing the number of dlc sold.

Zecias said:

this is awesome, now im glad they cancelled it originally =)

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

hamitaltintop22 said:

We will indeed. Plenty of awesome sales on Steam this weekend.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've never actually played Bioshock (could not get the demo to run properly), but man, that is a creepy looking screenshot. So much light bloom!

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Bioshock was an amazing game haven't played 2 yet but im sure its great. I will pick up number 1 this weekend on steam man life is good every weekend steam has some awesome games out just last weekend i picked up Arkam Asylum for like $13 thats sweet.

princeton princeton said:

Mmhm. But what did they expect? Did they think PC gamers would just ignore how we were being treated and ignore it? No!

Timonius Timonius said:

Yup, you don't want to anger a PC gamer. NO one likes to see a PC gamer when they're angry.

UT66 said:

Didn't like the first one, hated the second , (the seconds i played ) don't care about this DLC nonsense. System Shock, the original pc game? That was a good.

Cryptopsy said:

This game was epic! I can't wait for the next one.

grimm808 said:

Smart move. You can't just ignore the PC community like that...

highlander84 said:

Looks like their trying to Kill off the PC gamer. To bad The PC beats out a shitty console any day of the week. If it was just released or a year latter.

63Jax said:

no wonder after we made a huge scandal in the 2k forums. i still didn't played bioshock 2, i was just hoping for some good patches

For Bioshock's franchise sake, let's just hope there won't be a third installment...

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

Free DLC! 2K's awesome for listening to the community.

limpangel limpangel said:

@Guest: The third installment is already announced, it's called Bioshock Infinite.

My hope is that after the sequel, Bishock Infinite 2 (trust me, there will be a sequel to Infinite), is that they will do the actual successor to SystemShock2, maybe called "Bioshock Beyond Infinite" or "Bioshock Outer Space". I base this on pure deduction, like so: water -> air -> space .... wohoo.

frenzoff said:

Frankly i still dont understand why they didn't make the dlc for pc in the first place, with a majority of their fan base being pc gamers it was a stupid decision, alas its free now so everything is ok, nice one 2k

drasho said:

They finaly came to their senses =) It was probably just a scare tactic =P

tehbanz tehbanz said:

Man, someone is always getting screwed over when it comes to DLC, back during the fallout 3 times it wasn't until all of the DLC was finally out on Xbox and PC that PS3 finally got it. And PC gamers often get things cheaper/free over console users - which makes me wonder why? You spend LESS on the PC game (unless its activision) and you get the DLC free? you spend $10 more on xbox/ps3 games, then get racked with extra charges if you want the extra story, lame. And it seems nearly any game worth playing now has DLC.. feh what happened to the gaming industry.

and where's my battle toads remake!

ryan29121 said:

PC has generally always been "free updates," which is why I will always be a fan of PC gaming.

Storagebox said:

free!! count me in, those are rare! need to show support

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

breech said:

I actually read an interesting article/interview in Game Informer magazine with the developers, and they talked about how it's a bit of a departure from the first 2 Bioshock games. The "Infinite" is there for a reason - it's not a Bioshock sequel, so much as a spiritual sibling to the first 2 (set in kind of a retro alternate past and all). They wanted to move the IP into newer territory rather than hashing out another Rapture game. And, let's be honest, having "Bioshock" in the title will bring attention and sales to the game, so some of it is marketing.

Colonel Lance said:

I think this is a great example on how the gaming community can effect the decisions of a company. The company announced something that gamers didn't like and they reacted, and they made the company revised their decision. Now if only this had worked against Infinity Ward and Modern Warfare 2...stubborn little...oops, sorry, I'll not rant about them.

thaddio said:

Awesome!! can't wait to get my hands on this baby!

edison5do said:

While im not fan neither player, im just concerned about the PC Games future.... im really getting upset abou all aroung the games for pc, Piracy its getting things always harder and harder, but seriusly how expensive could be to port a game form PC to consoles, canÂ't they just do it that way, after steam and some more platforms growing up, PC gaming would be as good as before.

And DLCÂ's was created due to the fact that they canÂ't afford putting 3 DVDÂ's on a game + if they hace invested lots fo money and its 75% complete and they are 2 month for the 100%, thay think "We are out of money for the project, lets throw this ot and get some money to finish the rest...And I dont blame them for that but they should just not as the 5$ or 10$ mark.

princeton princeton said:

UT66 said:

The first game was genius.... If you've ever read atlas shrugged you would appreciate the story for it's sheer depth and the game for its beautifully done maps with the dark atmosphere.

kearnsy24 said:

Well this is certainly good news. It's silly to completely discontinue pc upgrades. PC gaming is still alive and strong.

hitech0101 said:

This is good news many game developers are ignoring PC gamers & prefer the ones with the consoles. Finally a change in the trend.

spyx said:

Good ...cuz i was freakin out for a second there.....YES DLC!!!!!!!!

RebelFlag said:

This changes my whole opinion, and I will now get this game. I really liked the first one, but I wasn't going to buy from a company that was going to discriminate against PC gamers. Now since they are going to make the content available, and at no cost, I am back on board.