2K Games apologizes, BioShock 2 DLC coming to PC after all

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Earlier this month, 2K Games announced that BioShock 2's downloadable content wouldn't launch on PC, citing "timing and technical issues." Naturally, that threw PC gamers into a fit of rage, because both The Protector Trails and Minerva's Den DLC are available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It seems that anger has paid off, as the developer has retracted its cancellation. "We have resumed development… and they will be coming to PC," said company representative Elizabeth Tobey.

Along with that fantastic news, Tobey provided an explanation on why the projects were originally axed. Apparently, the studio had a working build of the Protector Trails, but there were still unresolved bugs that "would trigger problems with the game during specific situations." 2K couldn't fix those issues in time and ultimately had to move on to "other projects," according to Tobey.

However, thanks to the (understandably) harsh community outpouring, the developer says PC gamers can expect to lay hands on The Protector Trials in December if all goes well. What's more, the content will be issued free of charge. There's no timeframe on Minerva's Den as it requires "significantly more dev time to complete." Is this good enough to get 2K out of the dog house?

Permalink to story.

Very surprised to see this happen. I think since the game is Windows Live enabled, Microsoft had some influence on making this happen. Take into consideration that their digital distribution system is in for an overhaul and they are trying to get more content up for download. But either way, it is nice to see some love for the PC audience.

"What's more, the content will be issued free of charge." OK, I'm willing to forgive and forget.

I like how they say there not releasing it then M$ twists there arm and they give in like a little kid offered ice cream. Its good that they are rectifying this for the many pc users that are out there.

Hmm is it just me or the free DLC to please angry fans tactics has been getting popular (2K did the same thing with CiV)? This is great news anyhow.

I'm a huge fan on Bioshock 1&2 and hopefully both DLC's come over to the PC. I was furious that these were gonna be shelved but I can't argue with "free of charge". If 2K is watching these boards then I have to say..........Infinite........really, why? Doesn't even look like it should be labeled as a Bioshock title. I'd much rather stay in Rapture for a third time, just open it up a bit. Don't get me wrong, Infinite looks like a great game but it departs way too far from the first two and looks like a standalone. Why ruin a good thing?

Free will get anyone out of the dog house. However, someone needs to find the people who thought that it would be a "good" idea to even consider not releasing it on the PC and slap them. I mean seriously, what kind of response did they truly think they would get? Game makers consider that all of their target demographic should be focused purely on the console genre. When those same gamers that play their console games, probably have computers as well. Not to mention that some games (FPS in particular) just play better overall on a PC. Yes they probably do not see hard sales in terms of boxes going out the door. But digital download should more than make up for their losses in the game stores. NOT TO MENTION, the gamers that buy the games for the computer, DO NOT SELL THE GAMES BACK TO THE STORES THEY BOUGHT THEM FROM. Come on now, that means that every computer game sale is 100% profit to the company that made the game, not the stores, not middle men, the actual game creators...ffs get your marketing heads outta your asses people.

*Yawn* I used to be a fan of Bioshock.. I didn't care for the 2nd and after replaying the 1st a few times.. it's really lost all replay value. Hopefully Bioshock 3 really kicks it up again and brings the series back to life.

Yesss... still need to finish the first game (I'm a jumpy gamer -- what can I say) but this is great news. Happy to hear they're sticking with it for the sake of the PC gaming community.

okay.. now remove DRM from B2 and i forgive you

Eddo22 said:
*Yawn* I used to be a fan of Bioshock.. I didn't care for the 2nd and after replaying the 1st a few times.. it's really lost all replay value. Hopefully Bioshock 3 really kicks it up again and brings the series back to life.

There is will be no bioshock 3. Bioshock Infinite will have its own story line and from what i have read should be considered as a sequel to a sequel.

Good to see them reconsider, especially since 2K publishes a lot of PC games. Hope they won't neglect us again as this one really sat hard with a lot of gamers.

This might be relevant to some people here: steam is having a Halloween sale and it bioshock 1 is only $5. Techspot will probably have an article about it tomorrow as they always do with weekend sales.

Back on topic, I dont understand how it can be so difficult for them to port the dlc to the PC. They already have the game ported, and this is only a dlc, it shouldn't be that hard.

Also, I think companies forget that, at least for console gamers, people trade-in or sell their old games. Releasing the dlc, now after the game has been out for so long might not be the best idea in terms of maximizing the number of dlc sold.

hamitaltintop22 said:
This might be relevant to some people here: steam is having a Halloween sale and it bioshock 1 is only $5. Techspot will probably have an article about it tomorrow as they always do with weekend sales.

:) We will indeed. Plenty of awesome sales on Steam this weekend.

I've never actually played Bioshock (could not get the demo to run properly), but man, that is a creepy looking screenshot. So much light bloom!

Bioshock was an amazing game haven't played 2 yet but im sure its great. I will pick up number 1 this weekend on steam man life is good every weekend steam has some awesome games out just last weekend i picked up Arkam Asylum for like $13 thats sweet.

Mmhm. But what did they expect? Did they think PC gamers would just ignore how we were being treated and ignore it? No!

Didn't like the first one, hated the second , (the seconds i played ) don't care about this DLC nonsense. System Shock, the original pc game? That was a good.

Back