W3C reveals first HTML5 conformance tests, IE9 surprises

By on November 2, 2010, 9:30 AM
The Worldwide Web Consortium has released the first test results for browsers’ HTML5 conformance and it looks like Microsoft has been doing a great job supporting the latest set of web standards. Taking into account seven aspects of HTML5 specifications -- "attributes", "audio", "video", "canvas", "getElementsByClassName", "foreigncontent," and "xhtml5" -- the latest development milestone of Internet Explorer 9 (Platform Preview 6) managed a perfect score in no less than five categories and overall showed the best adherence to HTML5 standards of all tested browsers.

According to W3C results, the only rival to come close to IE9 is Google Chrome 7.0.517.41 Beta, with a perfect score for compliance in four categories. Next in line are Firefox 4 Beta 6 and Opera 10.60 with 100% scores for three categories, while Safari 5.0.7533.16 sits at the bottom with the lowest HTML5 compliance level of all browsers – which is ironic considering Apple has been championing the new standard as a possible replacement for Adobe Flash.

FeatureIE Platform Preview 6Chrome 7.0.517.41 betaFirefox 4 Beta 6Opera 11.00 alpha (build 1029)Safari 5.0.2 (6533.18.5)
attributes100%100%100%100%100%
audio100%100%100%100%100%
canvas89.55%80.6%75.32%85.35%86.16%
getElementsByClassName83.33%100%94.12%94.44%88.89%
foreigncontent100%100%100%0%10%
video100%92.86%71.43%78.57%71.43%
xhtml5100%42.86%85.71%100%42.86%

The tests do not yet cover other aspects of the HTML5 spec such as web workers, the file API or local storage. Nevertheless it goes to show how much Microsoft’s attitude towards web standards has changed in recent months and that the company is ready to challenge IE’s reputation as the thorn in the side of web developers.

63Jax said:

maybe i will adopt ie if all thing run smooth

limpangel limpangel said:

wow ... as a web developer I was surprised when IE8 handled CSS almost as good as FF, but I never imagined IE9 would go this far in terms of web standards compliance.

Demons said:

I've been a big fan of chrome since it came out but I still find the need to open up IE every now and again with certain sites. This is good news for M$.

frodough said:

AMD is coming back w/ they new CPUs, WinMo is coming back with WP7, IE is coming back with 9... everything is upside down again.

TwiztidSef said:

I still don't think i will be switching from mozilla and chrome. I don't see IE9 being much use on a desktop. They still have to get user generated addons and such.

I do, however, see IE9 being really good on ipad and other mobile devices. Mainly stuff that doesn't support flash or java for whatever reason.

uttaradhaka said:

This shows that all the browsers are taking HTML5 into serious consideration as an emerging technology. This means that when the transition is in full force, most internet users will be able to jump on the bandwagon, no matter which browser they are using.

And also, I think geeks everywhere have dreams about the day when Adobe Flash Player crashes and vulnerabilities will be a thing of the past.

Bring on the future!!

treeski treeski said:

I'm still hopeful for IE9! The current beta LOOKS good... just lacking in functionality majorly.

peterbezemer said:

well, if it's as fast as chrome (or opera) i'll take it!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have to admit, this does look promising! SO far (i'm using the beta) IE9 seems rather promising.

Although it doesn't have user generated content like FF does it is actually suprisingly quick!

It would be nice to install Windows and NOT have a rubish browser to deal with.

Plus when all my clients update to IE9 far less crashing and a faster experience I will have no work left to do!

motrin said:

Demons said:

I've been a big fan of chrome since it came out but I still find the need to open up IE every now and again with certain sites. This is good news for MS.

this is also me. But i do wan't to use IE more it just feels sluggish.

I have always used IE, so I will be continueing to use IE9 when it comes out. I hate to switch browsers to look at certain websites. IE shows them all, and that is why I like it.

hassaan said:

Doesn't look like a fair test to me. It says Chrome and Firefox are in beta and it looks like IE9 is a stable release. So how can you test each one when only one of them is a stable version and the others are in text phase?

OneArmedScissor said:

That is actually the current "stable" version of Chrome. The current "preview" channel is actually well into version 8, and even those almost never have usability issues.

As for Firefox, I don't know, as I haven't even seen version 4, but I would think a 6th beta that they've been sitting on for a bit ought to have the kinks worked out by now.

They're probably just testing what's common for people who update browsers to use. Nobody said it had to be fair. If they test everything, you just get a big mess of a chart that still won't be relevant once these things actually are in the real world.

Since chrome doesnt have a default zoom feature or a print preview funtion, I hope some day IE isnt so %&$" slow in comparison.

Rick IE Team said:

For anyone who hasn't tested the IE9 Beta yet you can go to http://www.beautyoftheweb.com and download the Beta and test it out on HTML5 pages you find. Or for those of you who are developers you can go to http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/ and download the Platform Preview 6 and test your designs performance there.

Cheers,

Rick

IE Outreach Team

kevin1212 said:

Using ie9 beta and am pretty satisfied. Chrome is my backup. Not a mozilla fan. Regardless what browser i use really doesn't matter much to me. As ie is readily available, i'll use that. If it aint broke dont fix it. In terms of speed and features, i really couldn't ask for much more from any browser. I like chrome since it asks for very little system resources.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's pretty impressive, I must admit. But...

These tests mean almost nothing, performance-wise. Which is exactly where IE is lacking. HTML5 compliance? Meh, that's just a matter of adapting to an still-in-development web standard.

But high performance and functionality? That's not that easy, now is it Microsoft?

MervynBrittan said:

I was waiting for it

@lawfur: you're right, these tests don't describe performance. But if you'd maybe read some performance reviews or try it out yourself before you spew unrelated garbage, you'd see IE9 is not "lacking" performance. In fact, quite the contrary.

@hassan: Platform Preview means the same as "stable release"? I musta missed that memo.

crzydave said:

IE surprises. Have been a chrome user myself for a while now but used IE before that. Will see what the future has to hold for these web browsers.

Razerblade said:

I can't say I am hugely surprised as all of the IE 9 previews were showing how good the browser was with HTML5 etc. I have been using the beta build of this, and I must say I am very impressed. I was using Chrome and Firefox before IE 9 as the previous version of IE were horrible. Microsoft really have done it again, just like they did with Windows 7!

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

When something bad happens to IE all the IE haters/FF+Chrome lovers come out to say something, and when something "good" happens to IE, the IE lovers/hopeful come out of the woodworks. Just an interesting observation.

blimp01 said:

ive always used IE and hope it gets better

Elitassj4 said:

I'm sticking to Firefox, in the final version it will be much better

TeamworkGuy2 said:

Impressive. The options for browsers are really opening up.

I do not like the IE8 layout and I do not like what I have seen of the IE9 layout.

Everything I do works well on Firefox and Chrome, so I still have no reason to switch back to IE.

spyx said:

Wow i do say .... i am trying out the IE9 beta and its a lot better than 8....its almost amazing although it has a few bugs I have run into, and sometimes security questions can get annoying....but as a main browser I use chrome...however i think they need to add more stuff to chrome...make it better to complete a browser...

sMILEY4ever said:

Good job MS! IE9 is here for the taking.

Zecias said:

lawfer said:

That's pretty impressive, I must admit. But...

i tested IE9 and it actually isn't that bad, it's slightly faster than the current non beta firefox and slower than the non beta chrome. i still like chrome because it is faster, but depending on the new features added to firefox and IE, i might switch to either.

EDO219 said:

... b-but I don't want to code for IE9. QQ

TechFox said:

glad to see IE is coming back considering i haven't opened it in years except for the rarest occasions when they make me. i still think i will use chrome though. its just so user friendly and has a place in my heart now. its hard to switch and change everything.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

I would love to see what ie can do to climb back up to the top, though I'd really like to see chrome overthrow that again, just for the fun of it. Competition is always good, not just in the GPU world lol

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

The tests were incomplete and incorrect:

[link]

hitech0101 said:

The releases are just betas any way so when the actual versions are out these statistics are going to change anyway.Besides the kind of plugins i have in friefox makes me give a blind eye to these statistics anyway.People with firefox seem to have developed loyalty towards it.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Regardless of any or all Compliance Levels, I've been spending more and more time on IE9B1, relegating my earlier secondary (i.e. Opera) to almost irrelevance. It's is a very fast, stable browser compared to earlier incarnations, and it has never crashed on me unlike FF4B6 which does this randomly. Only issue which I have with IE9B1 that they have placed tabs on the same level with address bar, limiting how much tabs one can actually open (especially on cramped notebook screen). I hope someone from MS will look into this and come up with something better.

kaonis92 said:

It seems that microsoft has finally focused on making IE better after all.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Uh oh. Did I press someone's button?

IE is lacking performance-wise, and functionality-wise. That's a fact. However, in perceivable performance, IE is not that different from Chrome or Firefox (perceivable performance is inaccurate since it will greatly vary on different systems; just like in certain systems Firefox is faster than Chrome, and vice-versa). That's why we measure in benchmark performance. In benchmark performance (test Sunspider, V8, Kraken, etc.), IE9 is still far behind the competition.

So next time, do the tests, read a little, and more importantly, read the numbers.

PS. It seems these HTML5 tests were false after all:

[link]

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

www.html5test.com also shows how poorly IE9 does. Go there in IE9 and then go there in the other browsers.

Puiu Puiu said:

i applaud the work they're putting into IE9 but for me FF is something i can't live without at the moment because of it's many useful extensions.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

CURSE YOU MICROSOFT!!! After 6 months i'm still deciding between Chrome or FF, and now you're actually making a useful IE...STOP IT! You're supposed to be the worse browser...that's the order of things, lol.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The tests it passed were hand picked. IE9 is still the pile of suck we are used to, compare IE9 on a real html5 test with other browsers and you will see.

rizalp said:

Microsoft is on their way to win the browser wars (again) by conforming with standards.

xcelofjkl said:

Used to be an IE user then switched to Firefox and now Chrome. Im just hopping on the bandwagon on whichever's the best. If it's IE in a couple of months/years, then why not.