Microsoft: Windows Phone 7 is 20% more efficient than rivals

By on November 3, 2010, 10:53 AM
Microsoft claims its Windows Phone 7 smartphones get things done in fewer steps than rival mobile operating systems. "Microsoft based its claim of greater efficiency -- that WP7 requires up to 20% fewer steps to perform common tasks -- on its own internal research comparing tasks among smartphone users," a Microsoft spokesperson told ComputerWorld.

This bold statement aligns with Microsoft's ad campaign in which it shows how current mobile phone users spend too much time with the user interface trying to find relevant information. The implication is that Microsoft's latest mobile OS is designed for "glance and go" unlike the current "stand and stare" phones. We can expect Microsoft to continue to push the idea that its OS is the most efficient one on the market.

In related news, Windows Phone 7 is selling out in Europe, or at least in the UK. This is reportedly because demand is high, while supply is low. In fact, Orange UK has been unable to satisfy all pre-orders and is thus giving 20 vouchers for HMV as a "goodwill gesture" to those who placed orders. "I was shocked when I heard the news," an Orange manager told Mobile Magazine. "We are the lead partner for Windows Phone 7. But I believe this is a manufacturer issue on a world-wide scale."

AMOLED screen shortages are to blame for at least one handset's low availability and HTC isn't manufacturing as many devices as it would like due to software issues. Windows Phone 7 officially launches in the US next week.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Love win 7, but android mobile ftw.

taea00 said:

Microsoft also stated back in the day that XP wouldn't have any BSOD. They also stated Vista was fast! They've also stated that IE 8 was better than Chrome.

I think I'll wait for a 3rd party to run their own tests. It's very easy to manipulate statistics to show you're better than the rest.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

No matter the hype, I need one in my hands. I doubt it would pull me away from the android... but we will see. I don't think it will have difficulty overcoming the iPhone. Microsoft always manages something worthwhile. I just hope there is no BSOD while I'm doing something on it, haha.

VitaminC said:

I don't know the OS seems like a novel approach....but maybe it's too novel. It would have to be a pretty earth shattering good OS to make millions of people change the way they normally work with their phones and actually feel good about it. iOS isn't THAT revolutionary, in typical apple fashion they grabbed hold of the normal, added some Zaz and made people feel comfortable with an incremental change. now they rake it in.

WinP7 just seems like it's trying to hard.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Recipe7 said:

I just hope there is no BSOD while I'm doing something on it, haha.

"Yah sorry honey, didn't hangup on you I just got a BSOD on my phone" .

makes me laugh .

spyx said:

Sweet an efficeint phone, maybe i can use it for more than an hour .......

lipe123 said:

haha its like those ads that say "NOW 300% faster!!". Think about it; faster than WHAT?

It's easy to say "this new car is 300% faster... than a bicycle" and just drop the "bicycle" part. Sounds very impressive but its useless still.

I don't like how win7 is trying to emulate ios by making every handset identical and limiting how much it can be customized. I guess imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all.

thedrelle said:

At least their hype is picking up attention. let see how the OS works, eh? I agree with Taea00, there's no reason to trust a manufacturer's statements about their own product, they would never downplay it.

MS has promised, no BSOD whatsoever on WP7. That's right. But they didn't say anything about the "TILES". Now it's going to be BTOD.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

taea00 said:

Right on. How 'bout it techspot? Can y'all do some reviews/comparisons?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

One thing is for sure, every new smartphone and OS that comes out is subjected to such rigorous testing, from partisans of all sides, that within a short time we will have very accurate third party testing. You can never take away the subjective factors of what an individual user likes or does not like, but in terms of performance I would expect pretty definite data pretty soon.

theruck said:

everytime somebody is better than MS, MS comes with a totally absurd argument why they are in fact better. interesting thing is that they have now the 28th version of windows OS and it still sucks hard and there is still space for improvement. they are not even able to deliver it to their customers. another reason to grab for iphone or android phone

RebelFlag said:

It has to be more efficient than my android phone (moto I1.) I love the phone (no other choice when on Nextel if you want an android phone) but the battery life is horrendous. Hopefully someone will make a different back cover so you can put in an extended capacity battery.

Windows Mobile has been that way long before there was an iOS. They're continuing a pattern that worked for them on non-phone PDAs, not emulating iOS.

blimp01 said:

Dude i dont even own any handhelds haha

bioflex said:

i have always been excited about windows 7 phone......just cant wait to get one in hand.

theruck said:

excited about what?

brianmsu said:

hopefully this means good competition and cheap prices when im ready to get a new phone!

gLitCh32 said:

Sounds like standard Microsoft marketing...

As long as it doesn't BSOD or RROD, I'll think about trying it. It's probably not going to take me away from Android though.

sMILEY4ever said:

If they did some comparisons/charts I'd believe it.

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

I can believe this. PC OS aside.. When they released WinMo 6.5 it was a vastly huge improvement on 6.1.. so I can imagine 7 being amazing to use

hassaan said:

It will now be interesting to see how WP7 evolve from its current iteration especially when compared to Android.

vangrat said:

Quote:"'Microsoft based its claim of greater efficiency -- that WP7 requires up to 20% fewer steps to perform common tasks'"

In other news: "Research analysts miraculously discover, over 98.356543462% of all statistics are made up on the internet. This is, in general, done on the spot as well. Also, the sky is blue."

kevin1212 said:

GSM arena reviewed wp7 and commented on its improvements but overall weren't that impressed... weren't that impressed with symbian 3 either... still praised android though. I do respect their opinions and wouldn't be surprised if i liked android over the others, but i generally use nokia or sony ericsson phones, and for me brand comes first over OS, so i would be willing to sacrifice on OS to get a brand that i approve.

aj_the_kidd said:

Windows has the BSOD and the xbox has the RROD, i wonder what the windows 7 phones will have?

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Android im afraid has spelled doom for many other phone os's. IMO android does almost everything right if only there app store was more like apples and didn't have thousands of bs apps and more that don't work. I really like that there is verity in android phones lets see how many of you that have iphones that dont look just like everyone else's iphone oh wait you don't .

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I want my cellphone to upgrade to WP7... I have one with WMobile 6.5 and I am pretty happy with it, couldnt change one thing of it =)

ucould2 ucould2 said:

lipe123 said:

It's 300% faster on 4G network over 2G-3G/GPRS interface that is the "currently available" syllabus, touted to be accessible to the 98.672% of the population here in Australia - So my reply would be, as in the add when the end-consumer drops the smart-phone into the urinal...REALLY...

ruzveh said:

So true because it comes with 50% less features which would like to have

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Andriod is OK but nothing special, most of the reviews I've gone through have praised the much improved interface of WP7 with a caveat (which is true) that the OS is not yet 'complete'; from what I've seen I think interface looks way better than Android and on part with iPhone; so I wouldn't be surprised (provided MS work their a$$ off to make it a success) that in 1-2 years time when they have completed the missing elements, it may actually become the main rival for iOS instead of Android.

Edward Catflap Edward Catflap said:

aj_the_kidd said:

PCOD. Prank Call of Death?

Really would NOT surprise me if Microsoft's labs, er... balanced that figure of 20%. :P

I love how everyone razzes Microsoft products; Apple users would perform satanic rituals for Apple, Android users are just really happy until a particular application doesn't work on their phone, and Windows users are generally sarcastic, distrustful of everything (including Windows) and expect their software to catastrophically fail at any one point in time.

grimm808 said:

I don't think this will sell all that well in my opinion. Androids been out, and is fairly impressive, and people love the I-phone. The competition is pretty fierce, and if microsoft is expecting a huge bank out of this... Well... we'll just have to wait and see.

dlen said:

It is good that there are different systems to compete. I am waiting for the winner of this battle. Currently I use Symbian and I can say that it has a lot of obsolete functionalities. All the features are mostly accessible via typical menu-submenu structure which is ridiculous on phones with touch screens. The speed of the system is too slow to use it. Maybe Win7phone will bring something fresh.

rizalp said:

It's True. The Metro UI in windows phone 7 clearly helped user to accomplish task. I think "glance and go" is good way to represent that

TwiztidSef said:

I don't believe a phone being %20 faster would be of much importance. I think it really boils down to the application marketplace and the gui.

...and 20% more ugly than rivals.

No thanks MS. I got burned with your previous phones, not gonna happen again. You can have my money for windows or office, but that's about it.

jenifleo said:

20% MORE BLUE SCREENS OF DEATH.

mpribe said:

Very intriguing, may upgrade from my Blackberry to this if Verizon is offering it

Afenix said:

I can't wait for Sony Ericsson to use Windows Phone 7 on their awesome phones. Damn i love SE's

xcelofjkl said:

This is why I'm eyeing Windows Phone 7's rather than the others. I just feel that it's going to be better than its rivals. Kinda late for the party though but better fashionably late than just late.

white2010 said:

wow , when reach my country

will be fun

compu4 said:

I need to see verification before I believe this claim. Compaies always make exaggerated claims about their own product.

jazboy said:

Windows 7 is good but i still fell Iphone's OS user interface is quite amazing.