Asus motherboard with UEFI demoed on video

By on November 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
An Asus Sandy Bridge motherboard with a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) has been demonstrated on video, thanks to Sweclockers. You don't need to speak Swedish to understand that leaks like this are important to geeks everywhere, and especially those looking forward to a UEFI future.

The Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is to be succeeded by UEFI. The BIOS is an integral part of any computer since it initializes a machine before the OS takes over, but it has changed little in 25 years and was never designed to with the long term in mind. UEFI will mean faster boot times, various design enhancements, a mouse-controlled user interface, and many other improvements. The video embedded below is just a taste of what's to come.

Hopefully we'll see some standardization for UI navigation; it would be a shame if every single UEFI worked and looked differently (like today's BIOS does). Experts are predicting that UEFI will start dominating BIOS in 2011. Whether that will happen or not is yet to be seen, but having and industry leader like Asus pushing forward certainly helps.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Man! that looks sweet! It would be nice to have something to replace BIOS, I'm not one who complains about the BIOS but a new UI would be nice

I hope this decent enough and coming soon, I want to be one of the first to get an asus motherboard which is UEFI enabled.

SilverCider said:

UEFI looks promising. I can't help but ask why the title shown in the UEFI GUI is ASUS EFI "BIOS" utility?

Cryptopsy said:

Waw, finally a decent GUI for BIOS, improvement has to become! 20 years without any modification on the interfaces (minors only)...

I can't wait to get an Asus MoBo with EUFI

mccartercar said:

Im guessing they are using a cpu/gpu combo that is being blanked out to keep specs hidden.

Cueto_99 said:

Wow! Never heard of UEFI before, but it certainly looks sweet! It was about time to change that 8bit looking BIOS... next stop BIOS in 3D

TwiztidSef said:

Nice, BIOS was never hard to get around in but I figured with all these new pieces of hardware coming out, It would eventually become outdated. I hope they get creative with this new setup. Such as storing motherboard drivers and troubleshooting software within it.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

UEFI is needed for booting from a 3TB HDD without using an addon SATA card

Uvindu said:

Wow I hope this catches on. This should significantly reduce boot-up times and probably also allow for closer OS and BIOS (I mean UEFI ) Integration. I am glad they are using a more user-friendly and colourful design. Mouse control is a welcome feature by me. I hope it improves on overclocking stability (ie. Advices the user on stable settings) and also better management of drivers.

Good Luck Asus!

taea00 said:

Ok so other than speed, it's pretty, the ability to boot to drives larger than 2TB, and the MBR going away because UEFI will handle boot loading, what does this really do for anyone?

If UEFI is standardized and there aren't 5000 different versions, I'm all for that. It'd be easier to tell people how to fix stuff if we're all using the exact same thing, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

As for the GUI I personally don't care. I'm more worried people will think "ooooh pretty pictures, I can do this myself!". I don't need pictures to be happy, I actually like simplicity. I'd be fine with a menu system like BIOS has now, but with more functionality.

Demons said:

BIOS is WAY overdue to be replaced. I am very excited about this. UEFI looks to be the way to go. Faster load times and better UI should both be very nice

ChrisG683 said:

Oh man... it's going to be hard to not upgrade next year then x_x

limpangel limpangel said:

These are the main features that should have been included in the article:

- Ability to boot from large disks (over 2TB)

- Faster boot-up

- CPU-independent architecture

- CPU-independent drivers

- Flexible pre-OS environment, including networking support

- Modular design

Design enhancements and mouse-controlled user interface are not mandatory, at least in my opinion. I don't need a blue bar to show me how "long" 5V is, i can read very well thank you.

From what I see from this video, the UEFI interface looks now more like an iPhone app than a tool for tech enthusiasts to fiddle with.

I hope this takes off. The previous replacement for BIOS never took off (other then in Mac's).

TeamworkGuy2 said:

I agree with what some of the other posts have stated: UEFI is a cool development, but I do not need pictures or drag and drop capability in a pre-boot environment.

The BIOS was for the fearless, now with the cool interface, inexperienced users are going to start entering their new computer's UEFI and fiddling with the settings. Not a pretty picture.

blimp01 said:

i never thought id live to see a GUI bios menu

kevin1212 said:

Certainly looking forward to this. Next year is the time to upgrade... Bulldozer/Sandy Bridge, 28nm GPU's and now this.

bugejakurt said:

That IS nice, but as techspot wrote: "Hopefully we'll see some standardization for UI navigation; it would be a shame if every single UEFI worked and looked differently (like today's BIOS does).", a standardized BIOS IS the way forward for UEFI. The GUI is cool yes, but it provides the same functionality as today's BIOS on the other hand I like the mouse gesture support.

bugejakurt said:

BTW. A faster boot-up is the improvement which should be given much attention. Everyone likes an instant on boot up, so speed is the utmost importance.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Standardization on a very few or one UI and I'll be very happy about this. This clip should be enough to make some of you excited.

pacostrano said:

This is really nice

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LNCPapa said:

That clip is insane! although that has to be an SSD to be that quick! although it they are going to ship computers that boot that fast! thats absolutely astonishing!

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The UI reminds me a bit of AMD overdrive, but nicer looking. I can't help but wonder why manufacturers can't make the BIOS a little bit more eye friendly than the currently do. Why do they seem to only use a few different colors?

Jibberish18 said:

The "Fearless" you speak of had just as much ability to screw things up and not to mention The "Fearless" were also people just learning how to use things. Trial and error. Screw up after screw up. I don't see how someone can screw up their computer any worse with UEFI than they could with a BIOS. Please explain?

CyberChrist said:

I am glad that I saved my upgrade money for Sandy Bridge. This looks amazing and is exactly what we need at this point. It is definitely time for BIOS to get replaced by something more powerful and easy to use.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

This is the best news Ive heard today, I'm very excited for this! No more BIOS! this UI is destined to be great and even looks sexy :P

Colonel Lance said:

I love that they're finally replacing the age old BIOS. It was in severe need for a revamp many years ago.

I hope they do it right and make it all around better than BIOS ever was.

therickster90 said:

But can it run Crysis?

In all seriousness though, I'd be glad to be done with BIOS. But I'd like it to do more than just look better. I have had some really crappy BIOS with very little options and lots of problems. A nice, standard, modern, motherboard system would be very nice. Especially a simplified device manager (maybe being able to rename drives or change channels without having to plug it into a different slot/take apart the computer. And while we're at it, let's drop IDE.

UT66 said:

UEFI is nmbr 1 on my top list of features, not going to upgrade until is here, so move yr butt asus, msi, gygabyte, amd, intel,!!!

UT66 said:

edit, watched he video, they really HAVE to work on that gui design, it has to be a lot cleaner an a bit more ... manlier?

killamoves said:

Looks great can't wait to get my hands on it.

sMILEY4ever said:

limpangel said:

These are the main features that should have been included in the article:

- Ability to boot from large disks (over 2TB)

- Faster boot-up

- CPU-independent architecture

- CPU-independent drivers

- Flexible pre-OS environment, including networking support

- Modular design

Thanks for the info. I was like "new ui? that's it?".

zogo said:

"The video is just a taste of what's to come"

Obviously this will bring a higher level of tweaking and overclocking. I wonder how stable UEFI will be. Hopefully a lot!

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Can you say its about time lol kinda like UEFI Forever if you get that lol. I do have to say that its a great improvement over the current bios but cant say i wont miss the bios its the only thing ive ever known.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

How long before someone finds a security exploit and uses it to infect PC's? I sure hope security was a top priority when designing this new system.

RealXboxMaster said:

Can't wait. I'm glad I didn't purchased a MB yet to build my RIG. Way to go ASUS.

Timonius Timonius said:

Looking forward to it.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

UEFI can, and probably will, support anti-virus software.

Lets connect the dots...

Intel was/is the prime mover behind UEFI.....

McAfee has had uEFI encryption (inc full disc) and anti-virus on the table for some time (relevant portions start page 29)...

Intel to acquire McAfee for $US7.68bn....

[link] are now basically "UEFI ready"...at least for primetime...since Intel's motherboards (as opposed to Intel chipset) have had the ability to boot with EFI/UEFI since the 975 Express (Bad Axe board) chipset- successfully with server boards, less so with desktop. And of course MSI has already announced that it's future Intel boards will be UEFI capable. Their P45 chipset boards utilising ClickBios already use a version of UEFI

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

UEFI can, and probably will, support anti-virus software.

Lets connect the dots...

Intel was/is the prime mover behind UEFI.....

Intel to acquire McAfee for $US7.68bn....

...so your saying there's a chance

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Where there's a software interface there's an exploit waiting to happen.

My guess, and from what I've read, is that encryption along the same kind of lines as TPM will be available to lessen the chances...or at least make the more nervous/paranoid breathe a little easier.

Hopefully I've shown in a few links that this technology is not something that has just arrived. By the time it reaches mainstream desktop computing it should be a fairly polished and comprehensive product.

ruben1992 said:

This is great, getting a 6970 after they have been out for a month or two then ill do a Mobo/CPU upgrade when UEFI becomes standard

dlen said:

Finally! After years of domination of BIOS it will be replaced by something new and fresh.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

-I can tell you it sure does help though

therickster90 said:

But can it run Crysis?

I LOL:ed

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

We didn't get to see boot times...

kaosss said:

It looks good so far

Storagebox said:

idk, i like the Bios of today, i dont like to have like image or animation in a Bios, it looks more cartoonish or easy, Bios need to be technical im prolly just oldschool and with SSD system boot under 15sec idk if UEFI can make it faster but has of today its plenty fast

techpoppin techpoppin said:

I can't wait... This technology is long overdue

kaosss said:

UEFI is not new mac are using them for a while so don't worry

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

hellokitty[hk] said:

We didn't get to see boot times...

Follow the Link LNCpapa has on the first page of comments, Boot Times for a Lenovo T60 with the new UEFI.

compu4 said:

BIOS is quite outmoded, and I am honestly surprised that it has not been altered in the last 25 years. UEFI should make it much easier for PC enthusiasts to tweak their machines.