HTC compares Windows Phone 7 to AOL

By on November 10, 2010, 9:40 AM
HTC has been an important partner for Microsoft in the mobile space, but nobody is perfect. For example, saying that Windows Phone 7 is similar to AOL is probably not an image the software giant wants people to remember.

"I would say that for somebody just getting into the smartphone space, the Windows Phone 7 platform because it's pretty simple," said at the Open Mobile Summit, according to PC Mag. "So it's almost an AOL-type approach. And Android is very open where here's the Internet; I don't want that AOL home page, I want the Google home page. So, you know for somebody going from featurephones to the smartphone for the first time, Windows Phone 7 is great."

When looking at his statement in context, MacKenzie clearly meant to make a favorable comparison. When asked about what Windows Phone 7 did better than Android, he didn't draw a blank. "I would say that for right now, a customer interested in gaming," MacKenzie replied. "The gaming experience is very rich with what they've integrated they've with the Xbox; music, the music experience is very good with what they've integrated into Zune." That's a very positive statement, especially considering that HTC offers many Android phones.

Nevertheless, AOL has a very poor image on the Internet and many consumers will see HTC's quote out of context and think even less of Windows Phone 7. Add to the fact that sales have not been phenomenal and Microsoft needs to stay on top of things to make sure the image of its mobile OS isn't tarnished from the start.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

Perhaps unfavorable headlines have something to do with this......

Jibberish18 said:

That's okay. In some aspects, I compare Android to Windows Mobile. <-- That's not meant to be a flattering statement btw.

taea00 said:

So is HTC saying Time Warner is going to buy Microsoft out for more than the company will ever be worth again? How can they think comparing anything to AOL is a good thing?

customcarvin customcarvin said:

He should have just let it all out and called it an os for "dumb-dumb heads". LOL! So if Android=Google, and phone7=AOL, that makes iphone=?

Let the bashing commence....*que techno theme song* .... MOBILE KOMBAT!!!!

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

My Zune HD was supposed to be good for gaming too >:[ lol and libraries. Which would you have guessed was newer?

Demons said:

I would not want my product compared with AOL. Yikes, the only people who like AOL are the people who don't know how to use a smartphone most likely... To most of the techie world who would be considering a windows phone, AOL is a virus.

motrin said:

i remember receiving tons of AOL disks with free internet time when i was younger. i may have been young, 10 or 12 but i still knew not to use those CD's. having said that, lol harsh wasn't intended to be but it came out that way. IMO

Speaking of quotes out of context... Emil, this article is so bad! I have been biting my tongue up until now about your articles, but they just aren't up to par with what Techspot usually offers. Typically it's just grammar and spelling errors that I notice with your posts, but this article reads terribly!

This doesn't make any sense on its own, I know what you are trying to say, but through implication only. Ironically, you mention quote "context" twice elsewhere in this article.

What??? This quote didn't even answer the question that you prefaced it with!

fwilliams said:

40 thousand suckers and counting

thank goodness there is a sucker born every minute, Microsoft loves all their money equally

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

fwilliams said:

40 thousand suckers and counting

GASP! Teach me more, O Master of All Enlightenment!

hassaan said:

That's a bad omen especially when I'm planning to buy my next smartphone for which Android and WP7 are forerunners. Any advice people?

princeton princeton said:

What??? This quote didn't even answer the question that you prefaced it with!

I would have to agree with the guest on this one.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

hassaan said:

Read the reviews, try the phone if you can.

KG363 KG363 said:

ugh, he couldn't think of anything better?

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So now AOL = something good hows that? i love HTC but where do they come off saying this? Windows phone 7 is a lot better than windows mobile but needs a lot to catch android or ios.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I want one of this phones but cant aphord to change it again... will try hard.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

@prineston

thanks, I thought I was reading another language.

As a UK user of the HTC 7 Trophy on the Vodafone network, I must say a few things regarding the WP7 setup;

1. I'm very impressed with it, as a former iPhone 3Gs user (disillusioned with iOS4 & Apple's iron-fisted approach to contracts). It feels good to use, responsive multi-touch, accelerometer (sp?) and keyboard work very well (keyboard is better than iphone). Camera isn't great but that's the fault of the phone, not the OS...

2. The apps marketplace is already showing signs of promise, developers are praising it for ease of app design as well as it being easy to convert apps made for other platforms. Already things are looking promising and it's an area that can be developed easily (would like the option to sort apps in a category by rating for example).

3. There are a few omissions from the OS, all of which have been hinted at to come in later updates of the OS, remember that this is version 1.0 (or 7.0.7004.0 if you want to be accurate). These omissions include using MP3s as ringtones, tethering (not fully implemented but has been discovered), changing the default search engine.