Weekend Open Forum: Gadgets you can't live without

By on December 10, 2010, 8:00 PM
Those of you born more than a couple of decades ago can probably remember a time when cell phones, personal computers, cable television, and other modern conveniences werenít something youíd take for granted or outright didnít even exist. Some say those were Ďsimplerí times, but as a technology lover I certainly wouldnít want to live without many of these things. Truth is, in most cases they also make life so much easier.

Digital video recorders, like TiVo, for example, changed the way a lot of people consume television programming and this continues to evolve with the proliferation of broadband connectivity and streaming content. Cell phones are much more than omnipresent communication devices -- which is already amazing by itself -- and now double as anything from real-time GPS navigation systems, to workout companions, gaming handhelds and much more.

Granted, some things are not particularly vital and others we may get just for bragging rights, but Iím sure most of you own at least a handful of gadgets that are part of your everyday lives. Having just moved to another country, I had to leave some things behind and my arsenal is rather limited at the moment -- itís mainly a unibody MacBook, which I dual boot between Windows 7 and Mac OS X, an iPhone 4, a flat-screen TV and a digital SLR camera. My laptop is due for an update soon, I plan to buy a speaker dock, and Iím still considering if I should get a tablet sometime next year (oh yeah, and probably a nice coffee maker). How about you? What are the gadgets you absolutely canít live without?

jarulezz said:

i probably couldnt live without my phone and my pc and thats actually the technology i use the most

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I'm rather attached to my home theater and my high speed internet.

Staff
Shawn Knight Shawn Knight said:

I agree with Jarulezz, the cell phone and PC are my two favorite gadgets. To me, a phone was just a phone until I got an iPhone. IMO, that was a truly revolutionary device that brought the Internet directly to my pocket. WiFi is another great technology that ties everything together.

Moving ahead, I think tablets will be the "next big thing". I've had an iPad for a few weeks now (thanks to everyone who voted for me in the contest BTW), and while I don't use it every waking moment of the day since I am at home with my PC most of the time, it really is pretty amazing what it can do given its small size.

Staff
Shawn Knight Shawn Knight said:

Oh, and my new Roomba is incredible too. Such a time-saver!

Punkid said:

phone and pc for me too...i feel disconnected without either of the two :S

I can't live without my ipod, netbook, and cellphone. I really want to get an iphone so that I can combine my ipod and cellphone.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

cellphone, desktop and laptop PCs and DSL connection. Can't get anything done without them.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Cellphone and PC, and my Fuji Finepix HS10 wherever I go. I can't stand to really miss a shot/ moment :x

iPad and iPod/Phone I've got, though I find that I can leave them at home and not really care much.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well, I'm not much of a gadget guy. But if the Internet went away, it would be a pretty big deal for me.

my pc and my phone (laptop soon :))

bugejakurt said:

Phone and PC (of course including Broadband Internet)

Cueto_99 said:

I'm with Shawn, couldn't live without my PC... I also got an iPhone 4, its really a life saver, I use it most of the day as a music player during work while programming, It also works well as a camera when something extraordinary happens, and also to check my social networks from time to time, it has really become on of my favorite gadgets...

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I use my PC, Notebook (DV5) and Cell (SGS) very regularly, but I'd give them happily away for a week off hiking around in some nice hills

Davidoff Davidoff said:

My PC......sometimes my ipod touch

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Does a PC even count as a gadget any more? I'm pretty sure the PC has reached the status of being thought of as "furniture"!

I thought that "gadget" was more along the lines of an electronic stud finder. Or possibly a copy guard eliminator for VHS tapes.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My iPhone. I think I was one of many people who didn't even care about the reception issues because I only spend about 1% of the time making calls on it. Without my music library and games I would get bored to death on the commute to work.

And surely a PC doesn't count?

Cota Cota said:

My PC, thats a all in one gadget, that im sure it beats most of the other gadgets xept for mobility.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

PC, that's all, no iPod, iPhone, or laptop, just PC.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

iPod touch & Macbook

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Indeed, the PC is the "Swiss Army Knife" of consumer electronics.

Internet, it is something so normal this days but just imagine how hard it would be to fine information without it, or being comunicated.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

My computer...?

ruben1992 said:

PC mostly also phone and maybe my iPod.

1. old laptop (running xp)

2. bit torrent apps/sites (my computer is useless without it)

3. my lousy mobile phone with lousy camera (w995)

4. psp

Since everybody is going the PC/cell phone route, I will diverge.

If you are looking for a great coffee-maker, go with a Keurig or similar K-cup coffee machine. Consistently perfect coffee with minimal fuss for less than 50 cents a cup and zero wasted coffee..

Cota Cota said:

Since everybody is going the PC/cell phone route, I will diverge.

om*g.... the fridge..... we all are so blind.... shame on us

Staff
Steve Steve said:

What's with all the iPads and iPhones? And on a real tech site as well! Haven't you guys discovered Android devices yet

Anyway I use the Samsung Galaxy S i9000 and Galaxy Tab but honestly I could live without these devices since most of my time is spent at my PC and when I am not in front of it I don't want to be looking at an LCD screen. Actually talking of LCD's my Dell 3008 WFP's would have to be my favorite gadgets by far.

p51d007 said:

I couldn't handle being without my smart phone, my home computer & my dSLR. I've been slowly getting better & better cameras over the years and got a dSLR in May 2010. I've already shot over 2000 photos with it. It goes EVERYWHERE with me.

fearraza fearraza said:

probably my Nokia phones and MP5 player

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Steve

Well I did mentioned SGS (which off-course is abbreviation of Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000) :p; just that I was bit modest nothing more.

My Nikon D7000, My Samsung Galaxy Tab, My Laptop, My Crappy Cell Phone (still Love it)

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

My daughter has a hello kitty toaster, burns the cats face right in your toast!....right in your toast!...yeah, iPad...big deal!

ikesmasher said:

red1776 said:

DUDE, thats INSANE!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Does our "HelloKitty" know about this?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Does our "HelloKitty" know about this?

I bet ya $10 she has one...or more

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I bet ya $10 she has one...or more

I'm not quite sure, but I think our "HK" is a he. Should that prove to be true, why don' t cha just stuff ten bucks in the mail to me, as sort of a fine for stuffing your foot in your mouth.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I thought HK weighed in on the "where are all the female Techs" thread a while back as a member of the female persuasion....glad I only made it a sawbuck.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Have you ever heard of, "Ace and Gary the Ambiguously Gay Duo"?

It's all going to be in a chapter of my book, "HK, MILF or Madman". If this keeps going, maybe we'll smoke "them" out.

I think I remember the thread you're talkng about, but all I could find was this Barbie BS; http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic157129.html

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Have you ever heard of, "Ace and Gary the Ambiguously Gay Duo"?

That was a SNL deal, correct?...nice car!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

That was a SNL deal, correct?...nice car!
"They" actually "hosted" an episode of SNL. (?) (!) I have it burned to DVD somewhere in my hovel.

The "Ace and Gary" pair were recurring characters in Robert Smigel's cartoon features.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

You realize that HK is an obsession waiting to happen?...next thing you know she will be after the Hello Kitty assault rifle- this one doesn't make toast, it turns you into toast.

As for tech gadgets, I'd say my humble voltmeter and Dremel would top my must have list.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As many have said - my cell phone. its nothing special (its a Razr) but I feel lost w/o it. It contains most of my life :P.

Other than that I needs my PC and cable internet. Probably more than my phone.

And my microwave .

So many other electronics I use every day I take for granted too.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And my microwave .

A microwave isn't a "gadget". A microwave is the kitchen dwelling Avatar of the God of Sustenance.

I agree. Laptops are still quite bulky; they aren't items that you easily stuff into a pants pocket, tool box or holster and pull out for immediate use. They take time to boot up before you could do anything. Gadgets are more like ready-to-go items. Broadband Internet, laptop, and regular cell phone are the top three on my list. Later this month, I hope to upgrade my cell phone to a smartphone.

@Steve If things go my way, before the end of 2010, I should have an Android smartphone (HTC mytouch 4G) accompanying me everywhere I go. Then, this device would replace my current cell phone as my #2 gadget.

And, yes, I am aware that I included Broadband Internet and laptop in the gadgets category; the former is more of an abstract technology (you can't hold or touch the Internet) and I threw in the latter just because it naturally tethers itself to the former. ;-)

Everyone needs a remote control, right?! I don't have a fancy-shmancy universal kind with a jog shuttle dial and LCD. The one for my A/V receiver also controls my HDTV, iPod Touch (plugged into the dock) and VCR. That's sweet enough for me.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Have you ever heard of, "Ace and Gary the Ambiguously Gay Duo"?

This might be the thread in question: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic150496.html

Do we all agree that the smartphone ranks within the top five, if not as the #1 gadget? It's such a well-rounded, portable, all-in-one electronic device that you could easily pull out of your pocket/purse/European carryall and begin using in a snap. On the other end of the spectrum are the folks who aren't into electronic gadgets; they will submit their votes for things like the manual or electric can opener. Anywho, I'd like to read of gadgets not yet named.

Another one just popped into my mind: the calculator! This is such a fundamental and way overlooked gadget. I have two that are pocket-size and battery-operated; one is also a clock. They serve as alternates to my iPod Touch when I'm too lazy to go get it.