Weekend Open Forum: Gadgets you can't live without

Jos

Staff

Those of you born more than a couple of decades ago can probably remember a time when cell phones, personal computers, cable television, and other modern conveniences weren’t something you’d take for granted or outright didn’t even exist. Some say those were ‘simpler’ times, but as a technology lover I certainly wouldn’t want to live without many of these things. Truth is, in most cases they also make life so much easier.

Digital video recorders, like TiVo, for example, changed the way a lot of people consume television programming and this continues to evolve with the proliferation of broadband connectivity and streaming content. Cell phones are much more than omnipresent communication devices -- which is already amazing by itself -- and now double as anything from real-time GPS navigation systems, to workout companions, gaming handhelds and much more.

Granted, some things are not particularly vital and others we may get just for bragging rights, but I’m sure most of you own at least a handful of gadgets that are part of your everyday lives. Having just moved to another country, I had to leave some things behind and my arsenal is rather limited at the moment -- it’s mainly a unibody MacBook, which I dual boot between Windows 7 and Mac OS X, an iPhone 4, a flat-screen TV and a digital SLR camera. My laptop is due for an update soon, I plan to buy a speaker dock, and I’m still considering if I should get a tablet sometime next year (oh yeah, and probably a nice coffee maker). How about you? What are the gadgets you absolutely can’t live without?

Permalink to story.

I agree with Jarulezz, the cell phone and PC are my two favorite gadgets. To me, a phone was just a phone until I got an iPhone. IMO, that was a truly revolutionary device that brought the Internet directly to my pocket. WiFi is another great technology that ties everything together.

Moving ahead, I think tablets will be the "next big thing". I've had an iPad for a few weeks now (thanks to everyone who voted for me in the contest BTW), and while I don't use it every waking moment of the day since I am at home with my PC most of the time, it really is pretty amazing what it can do given its small size.

I can't live without my ipod, netbook, and cellphone. I really want to get an iphone so that I can combine my ipod and cellphone.

Cellphone and PC, and my Fuji Finepix HS10 wherever I go. I can't stand to really miss a shot/ moment :x

iPad and iPod/Phone I've got, though I find that I can leave them at home and not really care much.

Well, I'm not much of a gadget guy. But if the Internet went away, it would be a pretty big deal for me. :(

I'm with Shawn, couldn't live without my PC... I also got an iPhone 4, its really a life saver, I use it most of the day as a music player during work while programming, It also works well as a camera when something extraordinary happens, and also to check my social networks from time to time, it has really become on of my favorite gadgets...

I use my PC, Notebook (DV5) and Cell (SGS) very regularly, but I'd give them happily away for a week off hiking around in some nice hills ;)

Does a PC even count as a gadget any more? I'm pretty sure the PC has reached the status of being thought of as "furniture"!

I thought that "gadget" was more along the lines of an electronic stud finder. Or possibly a copy guard eliminator for VHS tapes.

My iPhone. I think I was one of many people who didn't even care about the reception issues because I only spend about 1% of the time making calls on it. Without my music library and games I would get bored to death on the commute to work.

And surely a PC doesn't count?

My PC, thats a all in one gadget, that im sure it beats most of the other gadgets xept for mobility.

Internet, it is something so normal this days but just imagine how hard it would be to fine information without it, or being comunicated.

1. old laptop (running xp)
2. bit torrent apps/sites (my computer is useless without it)
3. my lousy mobile phone with lousy camera (w995)
4. psp

Back