Apple's Steve Jobs to take medical leave

By on January 17, 2011, 9:26 AM
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has announced he's taking leave of absence from the company to focus on his health. In an email sent to employees, the iconic executive explained he will remain involved in major strategic decisions, while Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook steps in to handle day-to-day operations.

Cook already handled Apple’s operations for two months in 2004, while Jobs was recovering from pancreatic cancer surgery, and again for six months in 2009 when he was having a liver transplant related to complications from the pancreatic cancer. The Apple CEO did not say for how long he would be on leave but said that he hopes "to be back as soon as I can" and expressed confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans that the company has in place for 2011.

The news comes ahead of Apple's first quarter results, which are due on January 18, and as speculation continues to grow regarding the launch of the second-generation iPad. Here’s hoping for a quick return to health.

Arris Arris said:

"Steve Jobs has announced it is taking leave of absence". Funnily enough I've never though of him as a he.

I don't like Apple, but I will still keep Mr. Jobs in my thoughts and prayers. Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery and can return to his passion as soon as possible.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

"Apple's Steve Jobs to take medical leave"

Uh oh, his superiority complex gland must have gotten a little too big, lol

But in all honesty, I wish him the best and a speedy recovery for whatever may be wrong. I may not care much for Apple or Steve, but I am human and I do have a heart, lol.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'll wish you an average speed recovery...That's the best i can do for you Steve.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The amount of stress that he's been putting himself through cannot be good for a transplanted organ, especially if you consider that he's going to be on immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of his life.

I think that he will be the success story of the first decade of this century, he should just take a step back and enjoy his life. Taking stuff personal may have helped him be a shrewd businessman, but I can imagine the amount of undue stress that puts on him. Heck, just knowing that your medical condition can drive the price of your company's stock down can be a ton of stress, so even the decision to make this announcement on this particular day had to be dictated by business and not him.

bugejakurt said:

Ohh well... get well soon Steve.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Jobs can be a jerk - no two ways about it. But he's an innovator and been one of the key players in computer technology for years. Wish him the best in his recovery.

He should just hire a guy, pay him 2 millions a month to direct apple, hire five 18 years old very hot nurses and lock himselft on his penhouse.

princeton princeton said:

Don't worry guys. It's for his mental health, the board of directors was afraid his sociopathic nature would wreck the company.

It really is amazing how much Steve Jobs has a influence on so much day to day in Apple compared to other fortune 500 companies. I hope he does get better. I am not an apple fan myself never owned anything apple.

Apple's pushes into other markets has benefited me in many ways. Not a big fan of the iphone by my smartphone wouldn't have come about or at least this quickly without the iphone.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wishing Steve a speedy recovery.

I wish Steve a moderately slow yet effective recovery. He's gotta keep Microsoft on their toes, right?

You're right. There's no job that is so important in the world that one's health has to take a back seat.

Steve, my prayers go out to you for a quick recovery, but you should really step down and enjoy life to its fullest and what it has to offer. You've done all that could possible be done for a company and I'm certain you'll enjoy the legacy you've created.

I don't care about Apple that much, but you're human, and we all wish the best of health for your recovery. Take care my friend, and Goodspeed.

now look at humans. when someone is ill, they make jokes out of it.

have a speedy recovery Jobs! your a good contributor to the technological world. we need leaders like you just make sure the next iphone would still launch.

to all apple haters in this article, believe in karma my friends. there is a line when you should stop especially when someone is ill.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

@Guest

Care to point out exactly who made crude jokes? Even us haters who did make small jokes still wished him a good recovery. Sounds like another fanboy who's just mad that someone doesn't like his idol, lol.

aj_the_kidd said:

@ Guest >> WTF all the comments have been positive, there may have been a jab here and there, but nothing malicious. Even as a Apple hater i do wish him good health and a quick recovery. Chillax dude its a truce.

Marcia Manzello said:

Why you are a Apple HATER? Just curious:<) ima an apple LOVER:<)

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

There was an intensely crude suggestion made by a guest that has been removed. That was being refered to so chill guys. Mods were on it before you read it.

aj_the_kidd said:

Why am i a hater, well simply put its the pretentious elitist attitude that Apple has seemed to have adopted over the last couple of years. I will admit their products are good though, particularly the iPhone.

Didnt realize a comment was removed, woops sorry.

The key word is 'seems' I guess. Like all 'haters' (and I'm referring to homophobes and racists, not just technophobes like yourself) there is always one common theme - stupidity, and the ability to believe what you are 'told' at the expense of any inconvenient facts.

aj_the_kidd said:

Wow where did that come from, you Apple fanboys are something else. Putting me in the same category as homophobes and racist is a bit harsh. You win, you got me, feel superior now.