PS3 hackers take on Modern Warfare 2

By on January 18, 2011, 9:00 AM
We’ve seen mixed reactions over the recent PlayStation 3 root key exploit that has Sony looking for a legal passage against would-be jailbreakers. While some argue that it’s all about whether users really own the devices they purchase to modify or tweak at will, others are more concerned that hackers and cheaters jumping into online games might ruin the experience for everyone else. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be an issue for Modern Warfare 2.

According to reports, many hackers are already taking advantage of the security loophole to mess up the in-game stats and rewards for players. Though it's worth noting this is not necessarily the first time the Call of Duty franchise have been affected by such issues, posters on the Infinity Ward forums seem to suggest that it’s gotten much worse. “This issue is really out of hand. I can't log on without getting de-ranked,” said one user.

Infinity Ward’s creative strategist Robert Bowling addressed this issue on the forum, basically saying that there’s not much they can do unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform. They are currently exploring every option available and are encouraging users to report inappropriate players to Sony. Furthermore, the developer indicated that it would begin using additional security measures for its future titles, and "not rely solely on platform security."

We haven’t heard of other games being affected by rampant cheating during multiplayer matches, so maybe pinning all the blame on Sony is a bit premature. Especially considering this has been an issue on all platforms and apparently neither Infinity Ward nor Activision showed much interest in addressing the problem from the start.

If you own a PS3 and have been experiencing any issues with MW2 lately be sure to let us know in the comments.

It is totally out of control! I cannot get into a free for all without some a-hole hacker taking over the game. This sucks!

This really is out of control. This used to be (up until a few weeks ago) one of the most fun multi-player experiences out there on PS3. My first experience was against someone utilizing "God Mode" as it appeared on their screen, which obviously allowed them to never die. My friend actually was in a hacked game and once the game was over, he noticed he had prestiged for the 10th time, and every emblem, weapon, killstreak, etc. was unlocked. So that's taken the fun out of the game for him. He actually wrote a message to one of the guys about cheating and got a response of "for $100, you can too!" To me, that's out of control.

I witnessed a guy go 72 and 0 in team dmatch...he dropped several emergency airdrops. He was shooting in different directions and he will hit someone not to mention he carried more than 2 weapons and all were automatic....akimbo automatic rangers?...come on man

So come on Mr Hotz. You started this. How about you come up with something constructive to stop it? Oh wait. you can't. Didn't really think this whole 'Let's hack the PS3' situation through did you?

PC victory march I guess. It is quite unwise to rely solely on the protection of the platform than to put any kind of protection up against people hacking. Who would have known a popular console after a couple of years(long overdue) since launch would get hacked? It blows me away, considering every other console in existence had been hacked at some point in time and you must account for that even before you start developing for any platform. They're just asking for it.

I'll just enjoy my buffed stats for now. :D

mccartercar said:

So the few people that actually have and play ps3's online finally got what everyone else has been getting for a while. Albeit Steam with VAC and M$ Xbox360 with their bans keep cheating at a bare minimum. Besides these two platforming services, (almost) any game that has multiplayer has cheats,hacks,glitches, available for use and being updated when necessary. I dont care if someone else thinks that they've never seen a cheater on xbox/pc platform, they are there. Just google (game name) hacks for any game and you'll be hackin with the worst of em in no time...usually for less than 10$ a month.

On to my next rant. STOP giving Geohot so much frickin credit. He barely had a hand in any of this as he contributed to accessing lv2 about 10 months ago then didnt contribute again until after, fail0verflow, Mathielu, Team Psjailbreak, and everyone else on the scene were elbow deep in the thick of it. And what he did contribute was a mesh of other peoples work and tools simply used by geohot to do something anyone else could have done. Hacking was made possible on day one of release of jailbreak and geohot had only circumstantial ties to that at best.

Thirdly Yes, this is Sony's fault. Sony relied so heavily on the security in place that they shrugged off any implications that maybe someday their system would be vulnerable and would need extra security. Also since Sony are the ones that actually developed jigs to access their system and then somehow let one of these jigs be snooped and replicated, causing this whole mess in the first place, It doesn't fair any better for them.

My condolences to all ps3 owners who can no longer enjoy their shithead free gaming sessions.

I'll stick with my PC gaming, where at the very least when a cheater is encountered everyone is already jive on what to do and how to spot them and how to boot them. Shit, most Pc gamers have it down pat to record cheaters on the fly with the press of a button, because to them...It's just another day in multiplayer gaming.

mccartercar said:

Psx-scene-

"Infinity Ward blames the recent PS3 hacks for online cheating that is, according to some, ruining the online experience. Apparently, they choose to ignore the fact that both Modern Warfare and MW2 were hacked via save files on both the 360 and PS3 long before Sony's keys were made public."

^ I also forgot to give props to blizzard for being a very non cheater friendly platform.

Mike

Hacking has got way out of control on call of duty modern warfare 2. I went on last night and 19/20 games of free for all were hacked an all of the search and destroy matches were hacked. I have no challenges completed and I'm legitametly 10th prestige... I have 24 days playing time and for what ? For all of my assault rifles classes to only have the hearbeat sensor unlocked, and for people with aimbots to ruin my k/d. The game is basically unusable, and isn't even worth having anymore. PSN ogrejuice

Every game in modern warfare 2 is hacked it's super gay it makes you hate hackers and playin games like dat...

Crazy I just bought a PS3 to get away from all the hackers on PC like a week before this ***** hacks the PS3 and releases it on the net! Now I have to worry about the same stuff i was trying to get away from on the PC. I just Bought a PS3 for no reason.

mccartercar said:

You bought a PS3 just in time to enjoy the show. Sit back, relax, pop in your favorite signed homebrew and enjoy your brand new open platform console. Emulators for every game ever published on one console anyone?

Besides, at least the hackers on ps3 dont have microphones and whine like 12 year olds and scream vulgar obscenities at you.

Cota Cota said:

I really hope this speeds up the fis of the security lack on all gaming plataforms, theres a lot of exploits/hacks on all consoles, this is only one of so many, personally i think a big one like EA games starts to develop a User Permanent Ban so those cheaters can never actually online game again, ISP's need to get in this too since they do have the infrastructure to find them even by the account of the hacker/cheater.

mccartercar said:

Cota said:

Of course, but we do live in the real world where money is number one. Seriously though I like your train of thought and that would probably work well. Do this though, google a hack for any game then go to the forums of said hack and read for a while. You will find that when these hacks are detected, people get banned. These coders that write the hacks almost always have a side service for selling new keys at discount to get you right back in the game. So now, do you think Ea isn't fleetingly happy that they can keep the money coming simply by enforcing their rules just enough to allow people to rebuy the game and join right back in. So the cycle continues on and on. Some of the poorer coders that are not very well learned at their skill often end up buying mulitple keys themselves so they can keep testing and upgrading their third party software.

Will Ea,IW,Treyarch,Activision, etc. put in place a system for one time bans? No, I dont believe so because they are in it for the money alot more than they are for giving you a bullshit free game playing experience.

Mike

Obviously the developers of mw2 did not do a good job of protecting their own game. This is their fault not Sony's

GeoHot is a hero to many!

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

I can not even play it anymore... RATS..

princeton princeton said:

So you purposely downgraded?

I wasn't de-reanked in MW2, instead, I was ranked up to level 70. (on my 1st prestige), with all challenges completed. :( completely took away what I played the game for...

this is all crap....my theory is that it's not sony's fault. I think the makers of the CoD series removed the encryption to allowing hacking on purpose in order to get people to stop playing MW2 and switch over to Black Ops which has gotten bad reviews since its release and is probably underselling.

I have had a hard time recently (last couple of days) logging onto a game that does not include someone cheating. Watch out for people with clan tags {DT} and @@m and names with long random numbers after them. I have seen evidence of aimbots, I have lost progress on challenges, I have had my clan tag changed, I have had my killstreaks changed, I have entered a game where I was forced to use an intervention and a banner across the top of the screen red something about a quickscope mod; it is everywhere and as a legitimate player I would just like to play a legitimate game.

If this is not fixed soon I would like a refund for the game and mach-packs.

i go through 3 legit full prestiges then i get hacked to 10th by an unleaveable challenge lobby... please fix it sony this ruined the game for me its like i spent 10 days of my life playing this game for nothing

I don't get it. there will always be a cheater not just in games but also your wife can cheat you. so stop ranting. the problem and solution here should be the MW2 security platform.

look at battle.net, they can detect cheaters and suspend them and worst, banned them. If battle.net can do it, why not other ps3 server games. at the first place it was their own fault relying only to the ps3 hardware security. nah just my cents.

and also geohot has directly nothing to do with server games. read people, his intent was the "other os" feature. even geohot released the master key, there are usb dongle which can do firmware downgrading, backup games etc. PR marketing move by sony and their partners.

tonylukac said:

I guess with the Sony blunder it's back to PC gaming. Yipee!

You cannot play any game type at all now without it being hacked...refund please.

Am I correct about the root key usage? It allows any software to be run on the PS3 right. So it makes bots and other cheater software to be use as easily as putting in a new game. This also allow a hacker to put hacking tools on the console to more easily hack the game servers too. It's looking like online gaming is going to be a mess until the servers can be updated with some kind of counter measure. This in only the beginning, I think gamers are going to deal with a lost of use with online games for a very long time. It's like a hacker's paradise right now.

Every match I play now has some asshat modding the game. I went from prestige 68 (earned) to prestige 70 and all unlocks (hacked) in the last game I played. This sucked. Wow! We can jump real high, move too fast to bother and that ***** over there can shoot everyone without trying. Now it's not a game it's a tech demo for crappy things that no one would ever put in a game.

Are there even moderators that play the game to watch for crap like this?

...back to Fallout.

Too many people complaining. I don't really care that this has happened. I still do play mw2 even with the modded lobbies I just enjoy them while they are around. The game is done with anyway, its not like they were going to keep releasing map packs and big updates. If you are trying to find a legit game on mw2 find the people who want the same and add them. Nows a good time to meet some new friends and play some good ol private matches.

I don't blame infinity ward for any of this. MW2 is a excellent game, better then BO even with all the mod lobbies and such.

PS3 users for a long time have been wanting good updates for security and features but none of that has came. Sony should of done something sooner. I don't know what their deal is at the moment but none of this really bothers me. They'll get their sh*t straightened out sooner or later.

Until then..

Suck it up.

PC nerd PC nerd said:

The game has been completely ruined.

After 1 hour gameplay, I have every attachment/emblem/title/camouflage. It's ridiculous.

I've had enough of Joining a game to find some guy flying around rapid-firing unlimited RPG's everywhere and then calling in an AC-130 which is also rapid-firing.

I honestly loved this game when I had it on Xbox. Now it's just been ruined for me.

I have now experienced several different cheats by various users. They are as follows:

Cheat called 'Earthquake mode' where there are permanent AC130 shells smashing the maps to bits

A cheat where all of the players 'fly' rather than walk. - Quite annoying.

A cheat where all players become 'infected' with some weird drug and the screen wobbles all over the place.

A cheat where a sniper shot anywhere on the screen where there was an enemy and they died instantly

A cheat where all players are bunched up in the same place, and the 'cheater' blats the **** out of them all and wins straight away

I cheat where the 'cheater' uses the G18s to shoot fire out of them. - This one was very weird.

I also got ranked up from level 69 to level 70 in Prestige 8 and scored 100,000 points today, which was a little annoying.

A cheat where the cheater locks you into the game so that you can't quit, then proceeds to launch multiple air strike (helecopters/missiles etc), and wins straight away.

An invisibility cheat, where the entire other team become invisible, and a large red square surrounds all of their opponents, making them very easy to find and kill.

That's my experience so far, and that has just been in the past week or so. It is getting stupid.

JupitersEye.

windmill007 said:

This is too funny!!!

It is a mess! I cannot play a normal game. In a few games everyone was sped up and can jump high in the air and in another, one player (hacker) is killing everyone. It just seems like a waste of time to play! We all payed good money for the game and system and this shouldn't happen. Someone needs to step up and find a solution. This was my favorite game and I can't even play anymore! Come on, own up and fix this!

Richy2k9 said:

windmill007 said:

This is too funny!!!

hello ... i agree! :P but iu'm sorry it's like that

well don't say i didn't say so, now it has begun & soon you will hear another music plays & those with hacked consoles beware i know what's cooking, as an ISP we know what you are doing online & where you are exactly & soon the law will be for the big corporate, the security paranoid & the government won't find any solution but comply ... alas to all who already crossed that stream it's too late for i'm sure you never thought that maybe your machines could also become zombies to some hackers ... well i just hope not!

it has begun & now it's time for the counter-measures!

to those thinking that gaming belong only on PC, you just don't get it, it's all about the games, not the platform & you should really worry if you believe you are right. If i had time, i would have own all platforms & play on everyone only legal games, i play on PC & PS3 & it's just wonderful, at least i have something more than single-platform gamer ...some people need to grow up & i shall need to learn to feed the trolls :P

i'm sorry that people, mostly legit honest owners are now facing such issues & i'm sure someday even the cheaters will see the real problems behind this, for now i just hope SONY finds a solution & you would you turn your best friend who hacks his system & spoils other people's or your gameplay !? ...

cheers!

Richy2k9 said:

ERRATUM: no i'm too tired to try correct, i guess you can read & understand the meaning ... it's 1 a.m & for the past 2 days been playing an MMO on PC up to 3 a.m while also being sick .. so please accept all my apologies & i hope an edit option is brought back someday ...

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

ROFL - My assumption upon reading this was booze.

Same thing happened to me last night, i was just enjoying the game as usual then got pulled into some hacked game with the banner QuickScopingMod across the screen. After the game ended, i was leveled up completely in my 2nd prestige, it didn't jump to 10th prestige, but did unlock the respective titles and emblems, and also appended the clan name {DT to my name. It sucks, a game that i've really been hooked on in a long time, and now its useless...

it really sucks i wanted to complete everything on my own even though some challenges r next to impossible unless ur boosting n even doing that some r still hard but now theres really no hope in doing it my last user name was haked n the haker unlocked n comleted every thing 4 me, man there such loosers! if they want to hak y cant they leave ppl alone

some total nd utter wanker just deleted all my callsigns nd emblems nd im on like 7th prestige....made terminal all smoky through out the whole game nd its just....why would you do that for.....sony nd the game makers should come out with a new solution cuz after black ops come out everday theres the one hacker in the game that either has unlimited packages or the one that never dies

I started as level 62 on prestige 3, I am now prestige 5 with every title and emblem. I don' t play any more because its no fun. The titles were what I was playing for. So thanks hackers, for ruining my fun

This is out of control. Why hack in the first place, so you can sit in your basement (some, parents basements) and laugh your a#$ at just shooting people with no challenge. I enjoy things because they are challenges not because they are easy. I didnt buy a ps3 or xbox or the game to go through this. My wife just bought me my ps3 and MW2 for Christmas and it is the only game I have and now I cant even play the funnest part of the game. You people who hack need to grow up! it is a game for everyone who purchased it to enjoy, not just the hackers selfish *****. Sony and Infintry Ward, or whoevers fault this is needs to fix this and fix this soon, or I will never buy another ps3, or Infintry Ward game again. I know just one person not buying the game or system will matter that much, but one can turn into 100.

This is for people who hack the game, FU!!! Get a freaking life, besides hacking something and ruining something hundreds of thousands of people enjoy. The 500 dollars my wife spent on my Christmas presents is now garbage because of you. How would you (hacker) like it if I took 500 dollars from you or basically rendered something you wife had given you useless.

This is exactly what's been going on in CoD-Black Ops on XboxLive. Three days after first release of the game (Nov 10) I saw people walking around with a sixth prestige dual-wielding golden guns. Activision blames Infinity Ward (or Treyarch for Black Ops) and says "We can't do anything about it, they made the game, so it's their fault". And Infinity Ward / Treyarch say that there is no defense against it. Don't think anyone truly cares about 'the gamer' interests since this was the last Modern Warfare they'll release. It's also last CoD game for Treyarch. Activision will find a third party to make a fresh start with. And don't think first priority will be the gamers well being, Nr 1 is and will be : Make us a sick huge amount of profit. For me no more Activision, Infinity Ward or Treyarch releted games./

Sometimes when I get in a match there are things like the FX logo floating around or stuff like that, or I can run super fast or jump really high, stuff like that but I haven't got any problems with my rank or anything like it.

its all bullstuff now, every single game i log into people r flying above everyone, going a million miles an hour, unlimited ammo, its so annoying, i leave every game i go into with modders on it and because of that i never get to play anymore, i dont even bother putting the game in and playing because of these hackers, only game mode ive been able to find with no hackers is hardcore team death match and now they are starting in there as well..stuffs ridiculous

Not all hackers are bad. I've been deranked many times since this has happened but one hacker who was a host of these called Challenge Lobbies, gave me my stats back to near where they were before and gave me all titles. I was pretty happy but i haven't been online since.

IW did not make Black ops THATS WHY IT SUCKS

Sony please fix this bullshit mw2 is was the **** i would buy a second mw2 before i put black ops back in my ps3 and play it this blows how is it even fun or worth it to do to people.

Yep, I loved playing MW2 online and I was just starting to get good. Now I cannot even play anymore because of the hackers. Not sure what the point of hacking is. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves. But for me, it sucks and ruins my love for this game. People are a funny thing really. We can't even get along playing a game - the world is doomed.

I tried to find a game over the course of the last hour where there were no hackers. I failed. I tried Domination, Free For All, Demolition, Team death match and Express Team Death Match. Out of absolute annoyance I tried Hardcore, which worked. The issue being I hate Hardcore. Sony, get you crap in order!!!! I have a list of hackers and cheaters to report. I started in today only to find that when I report them, they tell me to contact Activision. Chalk up another reason why Sony is the worst company on earth.

It been really annoying! I got some of my awards, attachments, and perks stolen online! It's been getting worse. I couldn't even play a game tonight. Lobby after lobby, they were all hacked! MW2 was one of the best online games till now....Someone please fix this issue please....and fast!

With the type of abuse that the PS3 hack has produced, I can no longer enjoy multiplayer MW2. If this is what the PS3 hack is going to produce, I seriously hope that Geohotz or whatever his lame name is, gets successfully sued by Sony and/or goes to prison.

This needs to be sorted out I'm fed up with gimps thinking there great cause they can't be killed or can fly or some other rubbish. What's wrong with learning to actually play the game. And if they are gona use cheats DON'T MESS WITH OTHER PEOPLES ACCOUNTS. My game is absolutely ruined instead of telling me what kill rank and all I have along the bottom of the screen it says, "YOU GOT F**KING OWNED!!" I'd love to break my ps3 round the sweaty nerds face, and I love my ps3.

I hadn't played MW2 on the PS3 since the jailbreak was released, until today that is!

My favorite game of all time has been reduced to nothing but a playground for little d-bag hackers who didn't have the patience to reach the higher ranks without cheating.

I joined 5 different games and all had been hacked, with super jumps, guns that shoot through walls, instant snipes, ulimited AC130 raining down hell upon you...Unfortunately, the game has become unplayable.

Hope for the sake of all legitimate players, this can be resolved somehow!