TechSpot's Most Anticipated PC Games of 2011

By on January 18, 2011, 3:51 AM
By now I think we can all agree that reports foretelling the demise of PCs as gaming platforms have been greatly exaggerated. Even though the landscape has shifted somewhat in recent years, with many companies putting a lot more effort behind console development, PC game sales still managed to grow 3% in a year where the industry as a whole was stalemate. That's no surprise with blockbusters like StarCraft II and WoW: Cataclysm breaking records last year.

We expect 2011 to be another great year for gamers, with most of 2010s delayed titles finally hitting store shelves and many other highly anticipated ones making their debut. To help you keep track of this years upcoming releases weve put together a list with nearly 30 titles, spanning a variety of genres, alongside their respective trailers and relevant information.

Read the complete guide.

Stonos said:

You forgot Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Might & Magic: Heroes VI.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Good list to me. Battlefield 3!!!

Decimae said:

Stonos said:

You forgot Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Might & Magic: Heroes VI.

It does say: "Techspot's most anticipated PC games for 2011".

In my opinion though, it looks to be a good year but the only title from that list I'm interested in is Portal 2. My other favourite games would be Minecraft and Achron.

Stonos said:

Decimae said:

Stonos said:

You forgot Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Might & Magic: Heroes VI.

It does say: "Techspot's most anticipated PC games for 2011".

True, but everyone loves Assassin's Creed :P

Of course the ONLY game worth waiting for was not even mentioned and is quite a shame. Is Red Orchestra 2 (Heroes of Stalingrad) also known as ROHOS.

This is the only game anyone should be waiting for to hit the PC this year.

7-CLOWN-7

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

God Crysis 2 looks good! Cannot wait! simply cannot wait!

Also Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is already out?

Stonos said:

burty117 said:

Also Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is already out?

Only for Xbox 360/PS3...

You forgot Red Orchestra 2:Heros of Stalingrad by Tripwire.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Can't believe they're still getting mileage out of that Unreal 3 game engine which first came out damn near 10 years ago. A number of games in that list will be using it.

I'm interested in a good 1/3 of those games.

Everyone is worth playing. PC gaming really isn't that dead if you look at that list.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

True, but I bet a years wages that we would be onto ray-tracing Unreal 4 if Consoles updated as often as PC's did

mccartercar said:

We very well may see ray tracing/casting on next gen consoles. It's a great shame though that pc developers have to fit the silhouette of console games. Heres to open minds and beautiful graphics.

emmzo said:

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'm so hyped 'bout Duke Nukem and Deus Ex. A decent Heroes of M&M would be nice, although I doubt that. Diablo 3... god help us! And then for main desert, Bioware's Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Last, but not least, for non-WoW MMO fans: Guild Wars 2! It seems that I won't be losing my game addiction this year.

I would of added touchlight 2, maybe Warhammer Space marine but pretty good list, going to be a great year for rpgs

Dungeons.

A Dungeon Keeper clone. Easily my most anticipated game of this year.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

so many games being released this year. i thought 2010 was great but 2011 is shaping up to be twice as good.

How is it possible that Shogun 2 isn't on this list?

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad has been added due to popular demand. It was really a mishap on our side considering it was also mentioned by commenters when we posted our list last year.

lipe123 said:

I'm pretty saddened by the whole PC game industry lately, there hasnt been a single title this past year with improved graphics/gameplay. Everything nowdays looks like a console port

I'm excited about crysis 2, thats one company that delivered the goods in the past and I REALLY hope they bring us a gorgeous pc game again that will destroy low end machines.

Oh and diablo 3 might be nice too, I really enjoyed the original D2 cause it had just the right balance of insane power vs 1000's of mobs but still being able to die fairly easily.

Cueto_99 said:

Looking forward to F.E.A.R 3 and Battlefield 3, in fact, BF2 Multiplayer is just awesome, I wouldn't know what could make it better...

Unfortunately Warhammer Retribution didnt made it to the list but I will consider it as the strategy genre candidate...

Your list is slightly flawed. Duke Nukem has been coming out for... well, Forever. Its hopeware at best. Also DC Universe as of this article has already been released, so how can it be anticipated?

A correction for Heroes of Stalingrad,

In the description don't you also mean the Russian side as well,

I like all these games, but I haven't got time to play them.

compu4 said:

Most of these are not PC exclusives; the list should not be called "most anticipated PC games of 2011." It should be called "most anticipated multiplatform games of 2011."

DokkRokken said:

I've had a major batarang in my pants since I saw the Batman trailer a few weeks ago.

BlindObject said:

Bulletstorm looks awesome, but the dialogue is...corny at best. It does look beautiful though. The unreal engine runs real smooth on my pc.

And I hope my future i7 and SLI GTX465s can handle Crysis 2. ( It probably won't)

And wtf did they do to FEAR? It doesn't look as mysterious and spooky, now it looks more like it transformed into a thriller.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I'm looking forward to Homefront, The Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3, the latest incarnation of the PC graphics killer called Crysis 2 and the inevitable Call of Duty sequel .

siiix siiix said:

except maybe crysis2 and possibly home front fairly pathetic lineup, and even those are based on old grafic engines, and max 32 players its sad how many steps we take back before we maybe 1 day go forward again

battlefield3 would be promising but we dont know much about it yet, besides dice hand is tied now by EA, would not be suprised if it still using the same lame bf2 engine and probably wont even have 64 player move, not even hoping for 128 players anymore sad times for gamers

Hmmm... Whatever happened to Half Life 3? I've been waiting for the next installment for a couple of years now and I've seen no news at all about it.

Personally, I was hoping to see something about Half Life 2 Episode 3

BEN777 said:

Does anybody know when DOTA2 is going to be launched, last year there was a rumour that it will be this year? This is actually a pc game and not a console game :)

Wow no Shogun 2: Total War???? FAIL.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What happened to "Bus Simulator 2"...I was looking forward to that

zzZzzzZzzzzzz. . . . . . . Shogun 2: Total War . . . . . ? . . . . . !

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, you know what I always say,"I hate it when that happens, especially when there's no "batarette" around to help you out with it"

What happened to "Bus Simulator 2"...I was looking forward to that

They've decided to shift development emphasis towards, "Trash Truck Simulator 3", which of necessity, will set back the release timetable of "BS #2" a bit.

No mention of IL2 Cliffs of Dover. Strange

Arris Arris said:

will set back the release timetable of "BS #2" a bit.

Most probably they'll arrive together, one behind the other, both later than the timetable schedule.

Mostly shooters, yawn

i only buy one shooter per year, any more than that is kind of pointless

Why no Guild Wars 2

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Due to overwhelming demand we have added Guild Wars 2 to our article, check it out:

[link]

treetops treetops said:

Firefall is what im looking forward to, I doubt d3 will come out this year. Dukenukem will be a for sure buy for me. /nostalgia

Serious Sam 3: BFE... Anyone ?

SKYSTAR SKYSTAR said:

This is one of the best articles I have ever seen, thanks a lot techspot team.