Rumor: Windows 8 to arrive on January 7, 2013

By on January 21, 2011, 1:31 PM
A bunch of new information has sprung up regarding Windows 7 and Windows 8, courtesy of the Russian site wzor.net, which has leaked credible information before. Because the dates are so far into the future, however, we're labeling this one as a rumor.

Service Pack 2 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 has already actively been in development since fall 2010. If all goes according to plan, it is reportedly expected to arrive in mid-2012.

Windows 8, meanwhile, is still in the milestone development phase; M3 development will commence in March 2011. The OS is scheduled for the very end of 2012, and the server version will be named Windows Server 2012. Microsoft is reportedly planning two betas for Windows 8 and at least one will be available for public consumption. Three months after the RC is released, Windows 8 will hit the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) milestone. Last but not least, Microsoft plans to begin selling boxed retail versions of Windows 8 on Monday January 7, 2013.

While the roadmap details could certainly be on target, Microsoft's internal plans do change and nothing is set in stone. Furthermore, exact dates leaked this early are even less likely to be accurate. We've known for a while that Microsoft is targeting 2012 for the release of Windows 8.

It doesn't make sense for the operating system to arrive in January; this happened with Vista and the software giant was very sorry it missed holiday 2006 sales. It made sure to get Windows 7 out in time for holiday 2009. We expect Redmond will do everything in its power to get Windows 8 out in time for holiday 2012.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

I'd be surprised if Microsoft even knows down to the day the actual release date for Windows 8. No worries, perfectly happy with Windows 7 and will be in no rush to upgrade unless there are some really compelling new features that I just can't live without ... not likely.

Lurker101 said:

Well i'm not happy with Windows 7 and have stuck firmly with Windows XP64. Let's just hope that Windows 8 will be a lot better for gaming than Vista and Win7 have proven to be.

princeton princeton said:

Lurker101 said:

Win7 has proven to be better for gaming then XP. You people are holding back technological advancement by clinging to things of the past.

vipor231 said:

xp is dead and people need to relize that,clinging on to old 10 year old technology is fine if you want too,but don't cry when things stop working

vipor231 said:

as for windows 7 not being good for gaming i highly disagree on that,windows 7 is the best thing to happen in a very long time

princeton princeton said:

Try not to double post viper. But in the two comments I've seen you make, you've made more sense than all of lurker's comments I've seen. I hope to see you hanging around here more.

Lurker101 said:

If it's been proven to be better for gaming, then why do games run better on XP64 than Win7 on my rig? And why are there still a slew of problems with a range of modern games on Win7 that simply don't exist on the archaic WinXP? I gave Win7 a fair chance, hoping to upgrade but XP64 is still superior in both performance and functionality, as far as my needs are concerned.

princeton princeton said:

Your needs and your rig are not the only ones in the world. Also win7 doesn't have problems with modern games that XP doesn't. You're simply angered that your rig doesn't perform well with win7 so you assume that everyone must suffer that issue.

[link]

P.S. these benchmarks are from the win7 launch. Before any improvements,updates or fully suitable drivers.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Win7 has been proven time and time again to be a superior gaming OS over earlier versions of Windows. That's just a fact, Jack. If it's not running right for you, then it could be a number of problems starting with your own system not being able to handle it.

As far as Win8, I'm with Mizzou. Win7 is working just fine for me and there would need to be a number of substantial upgrades or applications offered for me to consider an upgrade. (Or a super-sweet upgrade deal.)

Lurker101 said:

Well my rig's certainly got more than enough grunt to handle Win7, but after doing my own tests, I found that XP64 just runs games better than either Vista of Win7 so I've downgraded to XP64.

Say what you want, but at least I gave Win7 a fair try before downgrading.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

I agree. When I was on XP waiting for Vista, I was impatient...and then upset. Then I heard of Win7. Once again I was so impatient. I couldn't wait. And now, on Win7, I look at Win8 and go..."Meh, I can wait" lol

Until retirement I worked with DEC-Compaq-HP.

After retirement I did some contracting. One job was to evaluate Vista and then WIN7

for deployment.

Vista was a no go.

WIN7 was a winner even on older equipment.

This wasn't gaming platform, but still very resource intensive.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wooo Start your engines for jan 2013!!....Nah only kiddin', Win 7 will almost certainly be still holding strong on my system even after then. Plus i doubt i'll have saved enough money to even afford the "Windows 8 tramp/bum package".

@matrix: funny, I felt the same way. Was digging for scraps of XP long before launch, running leaks, and the final version early. Same with Vista and 7. Now, I see Win8 news and read it cause I'm a tech geek, but I kinda say, "meh, whenever, take your time MS". Win7 success!

princeton princeton said:

Lurker101 said:

Say what you want, but at least I gave Win7 a fair try before downgrading.

We've given you more than enough evidence to prove that you're wrong. If you want to go believing win7 is bad just because you have problems then go ahead.

For me win xp x86 is up to 20% faster than win 7 x64 for almost every game i tried (unreal 3, starcraft 2, oblivion) and 3dmark06. Fresh installed OSes with a radeon 4650 and intel e5200

You say win7 is faster just because your rigs are so powerful you can't tell the difference between 292 and 257 fps...

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

what? yikes, then you have other issues. win 7 vs XP for gaming has been benchmarked in to the ground. You have other things going on if that's true. If you tried win 7 the games will default to the highest DX version available many times, where as XP will only run DX9 or less. So if your running a game in DX 10/10.1 in win7, and DX9 version in XP, 20% is right around the FPS hit for the higher DX version in many games.

.....read the article princeton posted

matrix86 matrix86 said:

For once, Balmer actually said something smart when he said W8 will be their riskiest product, and comments like ours just prove his point. But who knows, when the betas start coming out, we could be singing a different tune. It's hard to imagine, but it's not impossible...just improbable :P

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Like most here I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7 and have no intention on upgrading right away unless it really has some 'must have' features, shoot I still haven't finished upgrading all my PC's to 7 =( .

g4mer said:

I have both Windows 7 and Windows XP 32bit. XP runs much better for gaming than Windows 7 to me too. Maybe it's because W7 is more compatible with never CPU's and XP with older ones like mine. Or maybe it's DX10 thats slowing gaming idk...

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

g4mer said:

I'm the same. I keep an XP aside for gaming, it's always run my games better than 7...Nobody can straight tell you that your wrong because people have different setups (including software aswell).

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Too early to be thinking about Windows 8. I still have one PC running Windows XP Home 32-bit and a newer one running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Probably just use XP to run my older games and Windows 7 for the current titles. I have plenty of both because as I get older, i find myself accumulating more game titles than I actually have time to play them on my gaming PC.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, sometimes it's like that in the bathroom too, all grunt, and no go....

You seem to have a habit of massively overestimating both your influence and effect on the tech arena as a whole. "Forward progress" can sometimes be overrated. And sometimes, "Forward progress", is just worthless propaganda from somebody trying to generate cash flow.

You might try taking your megaphone and going out in the real world, to businesses just getting by, and tell them they're "holding back technological advancement", by clinging to one of the best operating systems ever produced. Which, by the way, is Win XP.

Better still, put your money where your mouth is, and cut them a check for a copy of Win 7. If you're broke, but your heart's still in the right place, at least write them Win 7 drivers for their aging prebuilt computers.

Yeah, a few malingerers at Techspot are the driving force behind OS development at M$. Get a grip, if you don't already have one.

Oh, a final, "word to the wise" note; there are certain neighborhoods where you shouldn't ever start spouting that, "you people" phraseology. It seems to have a profound and infuriating effect on some ethnic groups

Mizzou Mizzou said:

... Besides, XP 64 bit has the worst reputation of any version of XP. If you're having luck with it, God bless you.

In addition to that well known fact is a lesser known fact; namely that XP 64 would be deader than a doorknob had it not been for Vista 64 and Win7 64. Without the drivers developed for these two operating systems you'd still be running the very limited range of hardware that XP64 originally supported.

This from the Wikipedia summary on Windows XP editions:

Known issues

There are some common issues that arise with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Driver compatibility; Only 64-bit kernel mode drivers are supported. This means that devices for which there are no 64-bit Windows XP drivers available cannot be used. This includes a lot of common hardware; such as CD drives, DVD drives and USB. The amount of unsupported hardware has fallen because of the proliferation of x64 Vista and x64 Windows 7.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

The concept of XP versus Windows 7 is basically a platform to troll from. Windows 7 is a great deal more sophisticated offering. The matured "Aero" interface is luxurious and utilitarian as well.

With that said, "render unto Caesar, that which is Caesar's". Most of these "disputes" could be resolved via dual boot. I enjoy having Nero 6 on my XP boxes, yet I haven't the most remote desire to buy Nero 10 for my Win 7 machines.

The time is past to argue relative merit of the two OSes, yet the time hasn't arrived to try and force XP retirement. So then, all statements are true

I'm the same. I keep an XP aside for gaming, it's always run my games better than 7...Nobody can straight tell you that your wrong because people have setups (including software as well).
Not all older programs run as well in Win 7, as they do in the XP they were designed for. Therefore, if you're gong to have this debate at all, it has to be met in a case by case, program by program manner, not by some ridiculous generalization regarding the specific OS.

At the mods, "princeton" seems to keep invoking comments that you have to keep pulling down. Why is that?

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captaincranky wrote:

Yeah that's what i was on about. Games like the sims, sims 2, MS flight sim 2004 all run better on XP on my system. I have software on my Win 7 that possibly pulls it back when i have a go at running a game, where as my XP is totally clean (exept for hardware related software obviously).

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If you want to play old dx9 games till the end of time then thats your choice. I have Win7 64bit on a i7 with 9GB ram and 460gtx and I want to play all the shiny stuff in DX11. But to try to state categorically that Win7 has done nothing for gaming is talking out of your ass - what you mean is its done nothing for old games like MS Flight Sim 2004 and Sims 1/2 which is utterly different. Trolling or just ill-thought out?

Anyway I do not look forward to Win 8. This is because we are on the final stage of a Win 7 migration at work and we have found that Win7 really needs Server 2008 to function properly. Due to server virtualisation we have experienced server bloat (too many servers now) and to expect all the servers in my company to be upgraded to Server 2012 when it comes out is unrealistic to say the least. We will be lucky to get them all to Server 2008 by then.

So we are staring at another likely company wide upgrade to Win 8 where the servers will still run 2008 and such programs as App-V and anything else MS have come up with by then will probably be optimised for the newer systems.. meaning more work. Still, at least its work.

And I know I will be installing a beta on my workstation as soon as I can get hold of it.. that I do like

princeton princeton said:

captaincranky said:

I also stand by my opinion that people who cling to XP alone are holding back some amount of progress. From what I can gather you run a dual boot with win7 and XP, so you have contributed to creating Win7 market share which in turn will give developers more motivation to use APIs like DX11.

In terms of apps running better on XP. Yes apps developed before Vista/7 were released will perform better on XP to some extent. But modern programs perform better on new operating systems, and from what's shown in the article I posted the advantages XP does hold with older programs is marginal at best. But the improvement win7 has with newer programs is more pronounced.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I don't think you should concern yourself with that. Also capital P would be appreciated :P.
Well, actually it is a concern to me, since I might want to respond to, or perhaps reinforce the missing posts.

We might have appreciated the word, "of" that you omitted from a sentence here;

"Nvidia readies the launch its GTX 560 Ti."

Just a little error there.

Terribly clever, that. Sometimes I misspell things, whoops. Or perhaps, we can't always get want we think we're entitled to. Happens to me all the time.

Perhaps, but I still think that you're overestimating the value added by the people who are holding out. As I said earlier, M$ will move forward without them, (or without any impact from your self imagined influence). This is because, if their propaganda machine can convince a large market that Windows 8 is indispensible, they will make tons of money, despite the anachronism that XP wil have become by then. The few that cling to XP at that time, will not be a significant factor. There are still way more prebuilt computers, than there are enthusiast built machines, so that market, IMO, will still be M$ primary target.

The high end gaming market compares roughly to the racing divisions of common car brands. It's there for promotion, not for a primary source of income. My interpretation is this, "impress them with a Corvette, if it helps you to sell them a Chevy Nova".

Besides, as I understand it,Windows 7 is doing just fine, without you cheering it on.

You ascribe all the credit to Win 7, when perhaps it's only part of the equation. Newer faster computers, run newer heavier programs better, regardless of which OS is in the mix. (Disclaimer; I disqualify Vista from this statement). As I said in another earlier post, this should be debated on a program by program basis, not an XP versus Win 7 basis. With that said, a newer program isn't necessarily better, independent of which OS you choose to run it. There are plenty of bloated slugs around, written the day before yesterday.

Hey, I'm a huge fan of Windows 7. I don't run dual boot, I just build another computer when the mood strikes. As a consequence of this, I suppose you could say I "dual boot", I just don't do it with the same machine.

With that said, I have an XP / P45 / E7300 machine, that sometimes gets thought of in the, "hey, I'd like to run Windows 7 on that", sense.(I like the case, an original Antec 900). But reasonably speaking, it wouldn't be worth the money to make the necessary upgrades, so I "cling" to XP in that, while I play with my "Core i" machine.

Really, think about it. To make the P-45 presentable as a Windows 7 machine. It would need a true quad CPU, (no multi threading dual core available for LGA775), 2 more gigs of DDR-2, (which would cost more than 4 gigs of DDR-3), and a copy of Win 7, so figure $250.00 to $300.00 USD would do the trick. But, I doubt that me not making this upgrade is holding back progress, in any capacity.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

yukka said:

If you want to play old dx9 games till the end of time then thats your choice. I have Win7 64bit on a i7 with 9GB ram and 460gtx and I want to play all the shiny stuff in DX11. But to try to state categorically that Win7 has done nothing for gaming is talking out of your *** - what you mean is its done nothing for old games like MS Flight Sim 2004 and Sims 1/2 which is utterly different. Trolling or just ill-thought out?

First, did i ever say that Win 7 has done nothing for gaming old or otherwise?..Hold on i'm checking, hmmm, nope i never said that, so who's talking out of their *** now eh? not me pal.

Second, let's flip it shall we...If YOU want to play all the new "shiney" stuff then that's YOUR choice. A few capital key words there that you should keep note on...Example

Benny26 said:

I'm the same. I keep an XP aside for gaming, it's always run MY games better than 7...Nobody can straight tell you that your wrong because people have different setups (including software aswell).

Benny26 said:

Yeah that's what i was on about. Games like the sims, sims 2, MS flight sim 2004 all run better on XP on MY system. I have software on MY Win 7 that possibly pulls it back when i have a go at running a game, where as MY XP is totally clean (exept for hardware related software obviously).

You obviously didn't read my posts properly because if you would kindly see, i'm talking about MY system, not about the "Windows 7 gaming prowess" as a whole. And i never said "it's done nothing for old gaming", what i said was "XP runs MY games better than MY Win 7"....Now that's totally different.

yukka --> "But to try to state categorically that Win7 has done nothing for gaming..." please feel free though to try and find where i "tried" to state Windows 7 has done nothing for gaming..You've got more chance of pulling a rabbit from your backside on that one.

yukka --> "Trolling or just ill-thought out?" Well i wouldn't say you were "trolling", because that's not a very nice thng to say, however, i completely agree with you in the fact that your reply was "ill-thought out"

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Benny26 said:

Meh wrote that after a drink, just annoying when a thread gets utterly derailed. Lurker brought up playing games on Windows XP, not you anyway. Then again apart from mentioning flight sim and the sims, you took it fantastically personally.

princeton princeton said:

@CaptainCranky

When I made that post where the word "of" was missing it was because I was pointing out a tiny grammatical error. Comments like that get removed because they aren't really relevant, especially after the error is fixed.

g4mer said:

yukka said:

I don't care much about DX11 and graphics. Isn't it the gameplay that's making a good game? Why play a game that's actually fun when you can waste hours watching pretty graphics and boring intros.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

g4mer said:

yukka said:

I get your point but some newer games are designed to use prettier techniques to build atmosphere - as games become more like interactive movies this becomes increasingly important. But of course pretty graphics dont make a good game - it has to go hand in hand with gameplay.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's funny because I wrote my reply while having a drink aswell i mean it was a Sunday afternoon after all.

Errr..I suppose i just thought that my commet was taken way out of scope as to what i actually was saying. The fact that pretty much all my games are DX 9 (and the fact that my Win 7 is stuffed up to the eyeballs with crap anyway), is more than less why my games play better on my XP...Pretty much what you were saying.

So no worries anyway bud.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ladies, ladies...no fighting.......

Hmmmm....., I "smell" a potential Podcast coming. ....

matrix86 matrix86 said:

wow...2 pages worth of arguing about Win7, XP, and gamming on an article about the release of Win8. The mods of the site must be sleeping, lol.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, if they have any sense they probably are.

That said, if we weren't arguing about this, we'd be arguing about something else. So, pick a topic, any topic, and we'll fight to the death over it.

So IMHO, this is as good a subject as any for contention.

If you've been following this, you might have noticed that Lurker started the"XP vs Win 7" gaming argument, but Benny got dumped on for it. That's the only tragic twist going on.

I don't really care who wins**, I've got, (at least), two of each OS.

**(As long as it's me).......

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well it looks like there was booze involved in that little spat, so why break a near 3000 year old tradition? Post #27 explains what i was saying and how i was saying it perfectly, agreeing with the debate by "case by case" basis and not generally (as i was "dumped" for)...Anyway, that's over for me now.

Ahem!, Windows 8, right...I wonder how much it will contribute to gaming? (now that's on topic, right? )

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

Well all the software I use runs great on XP 64 Pro, I tried windows 7, and well nothing worked very well, slow and constant Software crashes, So I went back to XP 64 Pro, and removed the Windows 7 Partition..

If windows 8 is good I will try it as a 2nd booter, if it preforms well with all the 3D software and AutoCad software I run, I will use windows 8, till then I sold my copy of Windows 7 to my Neighbor..

He does not use such intense software as I do..

I need an OS that can handle Large files, XP 64 Pro can, Win 7 could not..

I also have a couple non MS os's on my machine that I use also..

Intel i7 980X 6-core , 64gig of ram, 4 10,000 rpm drives..

And Windows 7 just does not have it yet

Maybe Windows 8 will, I heard they are making some good improvements to W8, I hope they work well when it comes out in beta, will see..

Mike

w3b0n said:

I think windows 7 is the best OS from Microsoft so far, im a hardcore gamer with a mid range rig and i can run every game i want, even starcraft I with a little tweaking. Im a PC user that likes fast performance and a good looking graphic interface, windows 7 does the combination pretty well.

Pretty sure that once the RC comes out ill be the first one to give it a try.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Alcohol and arguments. Never saw that coming.. Reading arguments, seeing red, posting thread comments (badly worded - categorically seemed good at the time but even Lurker hadn't said Win7 did "nothing" and eating humble pie.. hmm

Anyway, looking forward to a Win8 and Server 2012 migration start of academic year in 2013. hmmmmmm