Apple iPad 2 jailbroken, video inside

By on March 13, 2011, 9:15 PM
iPhone developer and hacker Comex has managed to jailbreak the Apple iPad 2. It is not yet clear when he or someone else will have the jailbreak available for everyone.

Nevertheless, as you can see in the video below, Comex has managed to get Cydia running on an iPad 2. It was only a matter of time before we saw Apple's latest device running iOS 4.3 without all the security. The hack, which Comex performed remotely, requires a brand new exploit since previous security flaws have been closed in iOS 4.3.

Here are a few relevant tweets in regards to Comex's achievement on Twitter:

chpwn by @comex: http://t.co/osP6lzu
@iphone_dev: Congrats to @comex for jailbreaking yet another brand new device (iPad2) while 2500 miles away from it!
would've had it yesterday if I didn't have to spend 1.5 days looking for a replacement exploit (which came from a most unexpected place...)
@GUnitJC No, it will take some work to package it into a jailbreak. Same deal as i0n1c.

Are you more or less likely to get an iPad 2 now that you have confirmation the jailbreak community is going to have your back for Apple's second-generation tablet?

aj_the_kidd said:

I think most people wouldn't really care if you can jailbreak an iPad2 or not, its more of a nice to have function rather than a necessity, much like the iPad itself. Personally i would buy an iPad2 over the Xoom right now, because of the price. Being able to jail break the iPad2 means very little to me.

Quinneypoo said:

I could barely understand you, engrish? Also, you made no sense when you were talking about jailbreaking, clearly you have no knowledge of the jailbreak community. Oh and the Xoom is crap.

aj_the_kidd said:

Assuming your simply not a troll and the cheap shot on my english aside, one thing that allot of people seem to forget on this site is that, most people are not tech savy and most people dont know what jailbreaking is, thus, being able to jail break an iPad 2 will not be a deciding factor when buying an iPad 2 for most people.

Your right though i do have little knowledge on jailbreaking, nor am i really interested, which is why it means very little to me.

Oh and your face is crap, hopefully your simple mind can at least comprehend that part.

BlindObject said:

Any ***** can jailbreak, It's still an Apple product, lol. And if I got a Ipad (lol never) jail braking would be required just because. I'm not Iphone/ipad guy, but I know that having a Droid without root is kinda boring. It may not be a big deciding factor for most, but then again, ALOT of people jailbreak their phones on day 1 of purchase. And the Xoom sure isn't crap, I'd take it over Ipad 2 any day. If I had the money that is.

Pointless waste of my hard earned cash if you ask me, I don't need an iPad just to be entertained, plus there is always internet on my phone. I don't need to jump on the lates apple bandwagton just because it "trendy" or "stylish".

haha Quinneypoo just got owned :p

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

I know that I personally care a lot about jailbraking an iPad. For $1000 (the cost of an iPad (1) around here), at least I would want to treat it as my own equipment - without having a global corporation watching my every move and pretending to be some sort of all-mighty police which voids my warranty for having the iPad stored 6 feet above ground.

Via jailbraking, I can at least install my own choice of software without getting slapped on my fingers all the time. And I'd like that.

princeton princeton said:

"People; criticize ideas, not persons. It even says so in the community guidelines."

Except the moderators here don't do ANYTHING about personal flaming until they get reports. The job of a moderator is to read over comments and look for personal flaming, except for here.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Its difficult to read every reply to every post. Thats why the reporting mechanism is in place. Although it would be nice if people would quit attacking each other, and the mods just had to remove an occasional spam post. But that seems to be impossible with the strong mostly anti-apple opinions around here.

mailpup mailpup said:

Of course, you may not have seen some of the posts we have deleted because, well, they were deleted.

bonniesmith bonniesmith said:

IMO, no point to jailbreak the iPad, you can easily buy an unlocked one.

Jane55 Jane55 said:

Does this really work?

yeah, I also read this:

[link]

[link]

Or just the iOS 4.3 jailbroken?