36.4-inch monitor has 4,096 x 2,160 resolution, will set you back $36,000

By on June 21, 2011, 4:02 PM

Eizo Nanao has announced the DuraVision FDH3601, an industrial 36.4-inch LED-backlit monitor with a 4096 x 2160 resolution. It will set you back a whopping ¥2,880,000 ($36,000). The good news is that it comes with a 24-year warranty, so you don't have to worry that you'll have wasted tens of thousands of dollars on something that breaks in a few years.

The price tag, along with the fact there is no manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) because you can only buy it from the company's online store, clearly indicates that this monitor is primarily aimed for industrial applications. Eizo Nanao claims the monitor is perfect for monitoring air traffic control and geographic such as survey maps.

Other specifications of the monitor include a brightness of 700cd/cm2, the ability to display about 1,073.74 million colors (10 bits each for red, green, and blue), a contrast ratio of 1,000:1, a viewing angle of 176° both vertically and horizontally, as well as normal and maximum power consumptions of 162W and 350W, respectively. It even comes equipped with a human presence sensor, which allows it to automatically turn itself off when the user is away.

Last month, we wrote about a possible successor to the HDTV. Japanese national TV broadcaster NHK and Sharp jointly developed an 85-inch LCD compatible with Super Hi-Vision, a next-generation television broadcast format. With approximately 33 megapixels, Super Hi-Vision is touted as having 16 times the resolution of 1080p. NHK began R&D into Super Hi-Vision in 1995 and aims to begin trial broadcasts in 2020.

Eizo Nanao's product seems like a good alternative while you wait.

howzz1854 said:

just when i thought Apple's 27" Cinema Display was out of my reach.

IAMTHESTIG said:

When I saw the title of this I expected to see the display bezel to, at the very least, be gold plated. I'm disappointed... It may not look it, but it is an impressive display according to the specs. Very overpriced I think, as the technology isn't anything new. We can jam 1920x1200 resolutions into under 16" laptop displays, there's no reason why they can't double that resolution on a display over 2x the size for a reasonable cost, say, under $8K...

Oh... you got this reversed.... "as well as normal and maximum power consumptions of 350W and 162W, respectively."

slamscaper slamscaper said:

I'm not even sure how one could actually use this display being that ALL current desktop GPU's only support a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 per display. Even the workstation GPU's have this limitation.

Makes me wonder if this monitor's scaler can reliably upscale source material to the native res. If so, that's just amazing.

slamscaper slamscaper said:

Nevermind, after looking at the inputs I can see how this display gets around the 2560x1600 limitation. It uses two dual-link DVI ports (left and right) or two DP ports (also left and right) per GPU to achieve 4096x2160.

That means just about anyone with a decent GPU that supports multiple monitors could use this beast of a display.

princeton princeton said:

"1,073.74 million colors "

Wouldn't it make sense to call it 1.07 billion like every other IPS monitor maker does?

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just want to see the benchmarks for Crysis at that resolution

Damn,if the warranty was 25 years I'd be all over this.

princeton princeton said:

Also that's about $1000 per inch. WHAT A STEAL!

aj_the_kidd said:

Damn,if the warranty was 25 years I'd be all over this.

Yep definitely a deal breaker

PinothyJ said:

howzz1854 said:

just when i thought Apple's 27" Cinema Display was out of my reach.

Why don't you buy Dell's 27", the specs and price on that baby are quite remarkable...

$36,000 for a monitor... mmmm... haahaha hahahha hahhaha jaja jaja jajaja !!!

it's a joke !!!

come on give me a break !!!

tonylukac said:

Just buy a hi def tv. You'd get half the resolution, but are your eyes that perfect?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Well, NO they don't. A single link DVI supports 2560x1600, A Dual-link DVI (i.e. using two DVI output/input per card/monitor can display WQUXGA (3840x2400) type resolutions just fine -albeit with GTF blanking....which is why the monitor has two DVI-D in connectors.

I you had bothered to follow the product link, you might also have seen that the monitor has provision for two DisplayPort inputs - thats 2 x 2560x1600 @ 30 bit colour depth.

Even the workstation GPU's have this limitation

You've not heard of Eyefinity?....or maybe gaming surround ? Virtually any decent workstation card will run a 4K panel (see page 3)

I'd venture that the "source" material is being downscaled more often than not. Not everyone needs a monitor to play Battlefield 3 at 19x10

For example....these guys

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Okay I want one Sadly cannot afford one, well its either this or a new car LOL

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ha ha "it has to be NEC or Eizo at that price" was the first thing I thought when I saw the title.

That thing is an insult to my 21 inch crt tv. Die monster dieeeeee.

slamscaper slamscaper said:

dividebyzero said:

Even the workstation GPU's have this limitation

For example....these guys

Apparently you missed my second post (which funnily enough was right under my first post). Anyway, I now understand how this display gets around the 2560x1600 limitation.

By the way, the 2560x1600 limitation I'm referring to is PER OUTPUT (DL-DVI,HDMI, DP, etc..). Unfortunately, there are no GPUs available that can output more than 2560x1600@60Hz per output.

EYEfinity and SLI surround are irrelevant because they use multiple ports on a single GPU to output resolutions beyond 2560x1600 at 60Hz. But yeah, if you makes you feel better I do know that these technologies exist.

Also, you are incorrect about the DVI spec. Single-link DVI will only support a max res of 2098-1311 (16:10 ratio) at 60Hz. WQUXGA is supported only at 17Hz over single-link DVI, which is pretty much useless for just about anybody (unless you want to view some static images).

Dual-link DVI can support 2560x1600@60Hz, but WQUXGA (3840-2400) is only supported at 33Hz with GTF banking. Using a refresh rate under 60Hz is unacceptable for most content, so this is why

2560x1600 is considered the maximum (usable) resolution for modern GPUs.

Bottom line? This display requires two dual-link DVI ports (or two DP ports) to achieve 4096 x 2160@60Hz.

howzz1854 said:

pinothyj said:

howzz1854 said:

just when i thought Apple's 27" Cinema Display was out of my reach.

because it looks like a damn ugly plastic godzilla, and it's not LED back it.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

So I did. But then, I expect people to understand the function of the "Edit" button also. Looks like I'm 0 for 2.

Not many cards don't support more than one output as far as I'm aware. And for those that do, there's always Matrox.......the next obvious question being; Who is likely to drop $36k on a monitor and not have a "decent gpu" to pair it to?

herpaderp said:

Just bought one.

U jelly?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Nah.

Lookin' at getting one of these for the den. Just need to find out if I can run it with a home theatre type card (maybe HD 5450 ?)

herpaderp said:

lol, I think I'd have to break out the credit card for that one :V

example1013 said:

Those words...they just keep jumping off the paragraphs.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

24 year warranty? Common lets face it... this will be the standard in 6 - 8 years. At the most!!