Rumor: Windows 8 to play Xbox 360 games?

By on July 12, 2011, 8:00 AM

Take this with a grain of salt, but a number of sites are reporting today that the next version of Microsoft's desktop operating system, Windows 8, will let users play Xbox 360 discs on their PCs.

There isn't much information available at this point, and naturally many will be wondering why Microsoft would potentially cannibalize sales of its own console. But with Windows 8 still about a year away, and the company's next-gen console announcement expected in some form at E3 2012, the pieces could fall into place for a smart succession plan of Microsoft's gaming platform.

For one thing, the move would drastically increase the installed user base for the platform, allowing Microsoft to continue riding this console generation and profiting from game sales as it shifts focus to the next hardware update.

The next Xbox may or may not feature backwards compatibility. If Microsoft is developing some sort of emulator for Windows, I don't see a reason why the same functionality wouldn't make it to the 360's successor, but even if it doesn't Microsoft would be covering its back through this PC initiative by protecting people's investment in Xbox 360 games.

Microsoft has previously said it will relaunch PC gaming with Windows 8. The wealth of games that would come through this Xbox 360 integration could be a strong selling point for its next operating system, though hardcore gamers will certainly expect more than just being able to play console games with a mouse and keyboard.

According to the rumor, Xbox 360 on PC will require an Xbox Live Gold-like subscription service, but online gameplay will specifically prohibit cross-platform matchups to keep the playing field leveled. Take it for what it is: a rumor. But with that said, would you be interested in seeing Xbox 360 functionality on PCs with Windows 8?

VonDisco said:

This takes 'console port' to a new level. Can't say I'm looking forward to it..

So is this MS trying to kill off all 'PC' targeted gaming now? I don't own a console for a reason.. 6 year old spec'ed technology! with ZERO upgrade path. To me adding in 360 support is about the same as adding in a SNES emulator. useful for those 1-2 games that came out for the platform only.. like the Forza series. If win 8 does add these features in i keep reading about then I'll stick to Win 7 till they stop supporting it and move over to Linux.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

...though hardcore gamers will certainly expect more than just being able to play console games with a mouse and keyboard.

...wait... that's pretty much why I've decided to purchase future games on the PC, abandoning the PS3 and XBOX360. Also somewhat because of hardware failures and the fact that I've now spend nearly 5 grand on my PC. (custom water cooling and blah blah)

THAT'S ALL I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO!!!

treeski treeski said:

I'm worried about even less attention to real PC games. At the same time, I look forward to multiplayer support on a single PC. It sucks that I can't bring friends, plug in some controllers, and play some games on my computer.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

What are you talking about? Move what over to linux? When will Microsoft have ANYTHING to do with linux? I may be wrong, but I believe that linux is kinda, unofficially or whatever, a competitor of the OS. Maybe I am completely missing your point...

herpaderp said:

I'm guessing for this to even be feasible they'd have to implement some sort of program/partnership for OEMs to offer specific 360 capable models, with the specs to run the games, or probably a custom ODD for purchase. It'd be nice to have this functionality since you could dump your console and have your PC be your one stop gaming platform, but I can't really see this taking off.

boybrushdred boybrushdred said:

yes i would love to play Alan Wake on my PC

Butch said:

Great. More forced kiddie-console features on my PC...Aren't terrible ports enough? Meh...

nismo91 said:

exactly. with the prices of large LCDs dropping I believe split-screen ain't that bad... in fact, more and more people uses multi-monitor and eyefinity setup.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

Never owned a Xbox. If I remember correctly, they do not make any money sellign systems. They make money from their subscription stuff and from selling their games. Since consoles are limited computers why not increase their marketing area.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but this could allow for 360 games to be played on a Windows 8 tablet. It would effectively create the XBOX handheld device that people have been wanting for quite some time now. Naturally, you would have to reconcile the fact that tablets don't have optical drives, but playing CoD, GoW, Halo, etc. on a tablet? I can see the potential for this. I don't like it much, but I can see the appeal.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Xbox 360 emulator in Windows 8 -> interesting rumor and intriguing possibilities for gamers. What's next ? A PS3 emulator ?

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Seems kinda far fetched to me unless M$ is planning on not having any backwards compatibility on their new system. Then it makes a bit more sense.

Otherwise it seems they are taking away from their own system....

hudfer said:

I'm agree the Windows 8 play the Xbox 360 games. Microsoft probably will launch a new console and certainly not able to run games from old consoles (such as 360 and Xbox classic). The new pc's are the advanced hardware and able to run this games. In other question, supose point, it's so very easy the Microsoft integrate the console part in computer's systems, gaining two markets of games (XBOX and PC). The PC games is gaining market considerably because the price of the games and the hardware price is very low compared with a XBOX/Playstation and various promotions occuring (such as STEAM prices). Other's company's are interested in this market (such as EA GAMES lauching Origin service). Why i'm need to change my hardware configuration, i'm not change the COMPLETE hardware, i'm upgrade the components, one by one, resuming, modular system. For completing, the future of the games/movies, i'm believe in digital service. The physical media market is decreasing and the storage solutions are increasing the size considerably and the INTERNET services is increasing high velocity day by day.

mikeusru said:

omg mortal kombat. omg halo with a keyboard and mouse. omg all the FPS games i've wanted to play but couldn't because playing them with an xbox controlled is ridiculous. omgomgomgomg.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

We should remember that with their current promotion, MS is/was giving away an Xbox 360 away with a PC purchase, so obviously taking the next step and cutting out the loss leader production costs out of giving players a physical console and just making it virtual makes sense. The profit is in the games anyway.

This is very very smart marketing on the part of Microsoft.They know that people will not be as eager to upgrade to 8 having just bought 7, so by throwing in stuff like this they're going to get people to upgrade. I'm sure there will also be special promotions with bundled Xbox 360 games as well.

Windows 7 sell because directx 10-11 and windows 8 (7 SE) will sell because directx 9 lol

The only benefit from a backward step like that is for beta testing the emulator of the next xbox.

Almost all the games in consoles are already ported to pcs with slightly better graphics.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

If this is true it sounds as Microsoft is hedging its bets on the future of gaming and that looks like the PC. It's also smart: if, and when, the console era ends all of the Xbox 360's titles would survive on the PC (including the controller since it's USB-compatible).

Interesting indeed. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

As loyal as I am to the PC, I can't help but see the potential of something like this. Granted, realistically, Xbox games ported to the PC will not use all of the system's resources, after all games are being emulated; meaning that visually the game will play like an Xbox game, and not exactly like a PC game.

But the opportunity to unite both the PC and console world is something bigger than just having the greatest visuals. For visuals, I would still buy the native PC games, but those games I always wished to have played, but refused to (because I had to get a console), could be reachable, and that is very attractive as a consumer.

pcnthuziast said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Would be way more trouble than it's worth, which isn't saying much.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Great, now Microsoft can blame PC as the sole pirate of everything!

I don't get why you guys all seem against the idea of playing 360 games on your pc's, especially if they let us play them in higher resolution, that would be awesome.

Not interested.

I don't like playing games on a computer with keyboard and mouse. I prefer to play my games on my comfy couch in a social setting with my surround sound system and flat screen TV.

slamscaper slamscaper said:

Because we can already play just about every 360 game at a high resolution by simply purchasing the PC version of the game.

Some are worried that this will hinder native PC game development. I myself would rather play the PC version of any game as opposed to emulating the console version directly. As someone said earlier, this takes console porting to a whole new level.

blimp01 said:

haha i bet if you checked your GPU usage in this, it would be around 5-8 % at the most

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Zero interest. Console games are built for consoles. I (unfortunately) already have a number of crappy console ports - don't need any more.

TrekExpert TrekExpert said:

This move does make sense from Microsoft's prospective. With the console being subsidized the real money Microsoft makes is through the $10 they get from each Xbox game sold. If anything they could make more money by selling less consoles. An Xbox live subscription is required which is also a large source of their revenue. My only concern is that game developers will cease to make PC versions of the games as they believe it is no longer necessary. If this were the case all games would be stuck with the dumbed down graphics of the console.

It's a rumor... relax

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not interested.

And what makes you think you can't do that on a PC, WITH a controller?

anguis said:

I just wonder what the impact on cheating will be.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

gwailo247 said:

Good point.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

TrekExpert said:

Nah, developers will still make PC versions of their games. If anything this is Microsoft's way of transitioning back to the PC as the premier gaming platform. The company might do some foolish things from time to time but they're not stupid. They wouldn't have survived this long if they were.

wow that be really sweet i would love to play red dead redemption on the pc. ive always rockstar to port it to the pc. if they really do come out with this for windows 8 i would really have to grab windows 8.

The only benefit I can see coming from this is the look on all those console noobs faces when they vs someone using a mouse and keyboard ... hacks! hacks!

RaiDeR55 said:

Ya RDR from Rockstar and few others on PC would rock!!! Mouse-Keyboard..X-box live would pass on.

Grain of salt

mrtraver said:

I was interested until I saw "According to the rumor, Xbox 360 on PC will require an Xbox Live Gold-like subscription service..." If that had been in the first paragraph, I could have used the next 60 seconds of my life for something more useful, like searching for a non-prescription nail fungus treatment that actually works.

dont know what the bitching is about. if you dont want to use the feature then dont use it. i personally think its a great feature to have. i have ps3 and would love to play xbox games on my pc. too many jealous haters out there posting rubbish.

grvalderrama said:

Kinda smart move, develop a system that suport Xbox game instead of develop every Xbox game to PC, off course this would ruin pc games even further more.

As a person who already has an xbox + gold account i would love to have the additional option of potentially playing my 360 games on any computer with windows 8 installed on it. p.s. I have a gaming computer (self built), but nothing beats the overall convienance of gaming on a console imho.

edison5do said:

PC gaming is oficialy buried if this comes to reality... Too Sad for me!

The interesting would be if windows have an emulator for the next Xbox.

Microsoft is a software company so it has benefit to convert the implementation of game consoles from hardware to software (pc emulator).

Of course i always buy multiplatform games on pc, but for those awesome game that only come on console like Vanquish, Bayonetta etc... it would be amazing to play them on pc with higher resolution (if ever it supports that feature).

And before anyone says i prefer console because i don't like sitting at a desk, well i've been playing pc games on my hdtv while sitting on the couch for a good 5 years already :P

aj_the_kidd said:

I don't understand the "all hope is lost" mentality, when it comes to anything that could impact PC gaming, but thats just me, i am a just console gamer after all. I can see where you guys are coming from and do agree to a point, I just don't think its that bad. Bottom line, there is still money to be made from PC Gaming, so i cant see it dying off anytime soon.

fimbles fimbles said:

"Not interested.

I don't like playing games on a computer with keyboard and mouse. I prefer to play my games on my comfy couch in a social setting with my surround sound system and flat screen TV"

Buy a wireless pad......

this will make all pc games, console port, making the pc games ****.

Not sure I like this idea. When it comes to PC games there is high level of risk when picking games. There is zero refunds anywhere if you do not like a game, already have it, poor gift, ect.

Normal places were people get their PC games like Walmart and Game stop for example will NEVER take a PC game back once you get it. They honestly think you copied the game, copied the data and are giving it back or put a virus on it. Even within a 24 hour period. (Honestly a smart person wouldn't need to go through so much work if truly trying to infect someone's computer or sport or revenge) So I think its silly but paranoia can not be denied.

As oppose to normal console games you can buy, sell back and trade. (Given the trade in value is a rip off but its something if you don't like it)

However I wonder if they will refuse the same refund policy for Xbox on Pc idea. Personally I think it takes a hardcore and dedicated gamer to go with this idea anyway. Most PC's Store bought suck and holding a lot of information. It takes a few upgrades to get it to run as smoothly as one may want it too. I would rather have a console and now worry about the work.

I'm pretty old school, and I kinda like my controller in my hand anyway.

But that's just a personal opinion.

Has anyone responding to this ever written software for a x86 PC? or a power pc cpu? ever

heard of endianess? Even if they made an emulator 360 games would run

like crap on a PC

And its not just the executables, the media (sound, video, etc) would need byteswapped everywhere. fail.

Consoles killed pc games, then forcing pc gamers to play neutered games on their PC's - sacrilege.

One reason i have a Xbox 360 as well as a gaming rig is that I can play games on the 360 without installing some of the poisoness drm that many publishers put in their pc versions. And playing Xbox 360 games directly in Windows 8 instead of playing the pc version means that you can buy and play used versions of those games. Most pc games won't allow this. And if the emulator is set-up correctly, you should be able to play offline split screen on your big screen. Another thing pc games usually don't allow.

This sounds like a good idea so if you upgrade to Windows 8 you basically bought a 360...if they go with it. But I'm trying to find out for sure can I still install pc games on Windows 8? If they just make an option to change it to Windows 7 desktop style and still play pc games I'd buy it just for the 360 gimmick. I seriously doubt the new console will have enough power to make pc gaming obsolete and it seems important to keep their bonds diverse in case something fails in their new console and they recall. Either way, if you do upgrade and hate it, someone will make it better and you can always have multiple Os installed on a pc.