Rumor: Windows 8 to play Xbox 360 games?

Jos

Staff

Take this with a grain of salt, but a number of sites are reporting today that the next version of Microsoft's desktop operating system, Windows 8, will let users play Xbox 360 discs on their PCs.

There isn't much information available at this point, and naturally many will be wondering why Microsoft would potentially cannibalize sales of its own console. But with Windows 8 still about a year away, and the company's next-gen console announcement expected in some form at E3 2012, the pieces could fall into place for a smart succession plan of Microsoft's gaming platform.

For one thing, the move would drastically increase the installed user base for the platform, allowing Microsoft to continue riding this console generation and profiting from game sales as it shifts focus to the next hardware update.

The next Xbox may or may not feature backwards compatibility. If Microsoft is developing some sort of emulator for Windows, I don't see a reason why the same functionality wouldn't make it to the 360's successor, but even if it doesn't Microsoft would be covering its back through this PC initiative by protecting people's investment in Xbox 360 games.

Microsoft has previously said it will relaunch PC gaming with Windows 8. The wealth of games that would come through this Xbox 360 integration could be a strong selling point for its next operating system, though hardcore gamers will certainly expect more than just being able to play console games with a mouse and keyboard.

According to the rumor, Xbox 360 on PC will require an Xbox Live Gold-like subscription service, but online gameplay will specifically prohibit cross-platform matchups to keep the playing field leveled. Take it for what it is: a rumor. But with that said, would you be interested in seeing Xbox 360 functionality on PCs with Windows 8?

Permalink to story.

So is this MS trying to kill off all 'PC' targeted gaming now? I don't own a console for a reason.. 6 year old spec'ed technology! with ZERO upgrade path. To me adding in 360 support is about the same as adding in a SNES emulator. useful for those 1-2 games that came out for the platform only.. like the Forza series. If win 8 does add these features in i keep reading about then I'll stick to Win 7 till they stop supporting it and move over to Linux.

...though hardcore gamers will certainly expect more than just being able to play console games with a mouse and keyboard.
...wait... that's pretty much why I've decided to purchase future games on the PC, abandoning the PS3 and XBOX360. Also somewhat because of hardware failures and the fact that I've now spend nearly 5 grand on my PC. (custom water cooling and blah blah)

THAT'S ALL I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO!!!

I'm worried about even less attention to real PC games. At the same time, I look forward to multiplayer support on a single PC. It sucks that I can't bring friends, plug in some controllers, and play some games on my computer.

Guest said:
So is this MS trying to kill off all 'PC' targeted gaming now? I don't own a console for a reason.. 6 year old spec'ed technology! with ZERO upgrade path. To me adding in 360 support is about the same as adding in a SNES emulator. useful for those 1-2 games that came out for the platform only.. like the Forza series. If win 8 does add these features in i keep reading about then I'll stick to Win 7 till they stop supporting it and move over to Linux.

What are you talking about? Move what over to linux? When will Microsoft have ANYTHING to do with linux? I may be wrong, but I believe that linux is kinda, unofficially or whatever, a competitor of the OS. Maybe I am completely missing your point...

I'm guessing for this to even be feasible they'd have to implement some sort of program/partnership for OEMs to offer specific 360 capable models, with the specs to run the games, or probably a custom ODD for purchase. It'd be nice to have this functionality since you could dump your console and have your PC be your one stop gaming platform, but I can't really see this taking off.

Great. More forced kiddie-console features on my PC...Aren't terrible ports enough? Meh...

I'm worried about even less attention to real PC games. At the same time, I look forward to multiplayer support on a single PC. It sucks that I can't bring friends, plug in some controllers, and play some games on my computer.

exactly. with the prices of large LCDs dropping I believe split-screen ain't that bad... in fact, more and more people uses multi-monitor and eyefinity setup.

Never owned a Xbox. If I remember correctly, they do not make any money sellign systems. They make money from their subscription stuff and from selling their games. Since consoles are limited computers why not increase their marketing area.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but this could allow for 360 games to be played on a Windows 8 tablet. It would effectively create the XBOX handheld device that people have been wanting for quite some time now. Naturally, you would have to reconcile the fact that tablets don't have optical drives, but playing CoD, GoW, Halo, etc. on a tablet? I can see the potential for this. I don't like it much, but I can see the appeal.

Xbox 360 emulator in Windows 8 -> interesting rumor and intriguing possibilities for gamers. What's next ? A PS3 emulator ?

Seems kinda far fetched to me unless M$ is planning on not having any backwards compatibility on their new system. Then it makes a bit more sense.
Otherwise it seems they are taking away from their own system....

I'm agree the Windows 8 play the Xbox 360 games. Microsoft probably will launch a new console and certainly not able to run games from old consoles (such as 360 and Xbox classic). The new pc's are the advanced hardware and able to run this games. In other question, supose point, it's so very easy the Microsoft integrate the console part in computer's systems, gaining two markets of games (XBOX and PC). The PC games is gaining market considerably because the price of the games and the hardware price is very low compared with a XBOX/Playstation and various promotions occuring (such as STEAM prices). Other's company's are interested in this market (such as EA GAMES lauching Origin service). Why i'm need to change my hardware configuration, i'm not change the COMPLETE hardware, i'm upgrade the components, one by one, resuming, modular system. For completing, the future of the games/movies, i'm believe in digital service. The physical media market is decreasing and the storage solutions are increasing the size considerably and the INTERNET services is increasing high velocity day by day.

omg mortal kombat. omg halo with a keyboard and mouse. omg all the FPS games i've wanted to play but couldn't because playing them with an xbox controlled is ridiculous. omgomgomgomg.

We should remember that with their current promotion, MS is/was giving away an Xbox 360 away with a PC purchase, so obviously taking the next step and cutting out the loss leader production costs out of giving players a physical console and just making it virtual makes sense. The profit is in the games anyway.

This is very very smart marketing on the part of Microsoft.They know that people will not be as eager to upgrade to 8 having just bought 7, so by throwing in stuff like this they're going to get people to upgrade. I'm sure there will also be special promotions with bundled Xbox 360 games as well.

Windows 7 sell because directx 10-11 and windows 8 (7 SE) will sell because directx 9 lol
The only benefit from a backward step like that is for beta testing the emulator of the next xbox.
Almost all the games in consoles are already ported to pcs with slightly better graphics.

If this is true it sounds as Microsoft is hedging its bets on the future of gaming and that looks like the PC. It's also smart: if, and when, the console era ends all of the Xbox 360's titles would survive on the PC (including the controller since it's USB-compatible).

Interesting indeed. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

As loyal as I am to the PC, I can't help but see the potential of something like this. Granted, realistically, Xbox games ported to the PC will not use all of the system's resources, after all games are being emulated; meaning that visually the game will play like an Xbox game, and not exactly like a PC game.

But the opportunity to unite both the PC and console world is something bigger than just having the greatest visuals. For visuals, I would still buy the native PC games, but those games I always wished to have played, but refused to (because I had to get a console), could be reachable, and that is very attractive as a consumer.

I don't get why you guys all seem against the idea of playing 360 games on your pc's, especially if they let us play them in higher resolution, that would be awesome.

Not interested.

I don't like playing games on a computer with keyboard and mouse. I prefer to play my games on my comfy couch in a social setting with my surround sound system and flat screen TV.

Guest said:
I don't get why you guys all seem against the idea of playing 360 games on your pc's, especially if they let us play them in higher resolution, that would be awesome.

Because we can already play just about every 360 game at a high resolution by simply purchasing the PC version of the game.

Some are worried that this will hinder native PC game development. I myself would rather play the PC version of any game as opposed to emulating the console version directly. As someone said earlier, this takes console porting to a whole new level.

Back