Borderlands 2 coming in 2012 with new characters and equipment

By on August 3, 2011, 3:37 PM

Confirming speculation that arose in early June, Gearbox Software has officially announced the development and pending release of a sequel to 2009's popular RPG-esque first-person shooter, Borderlands. Eloquently named "Borderlands 2," the new entry will return to the rustic planet of Pandora and will have players traversing uncharted lands to discover new "mysteries."

Details are limited at the moment, but Gearbox promises to deliver an "ambitiously crafted story" that unfolds alongside new characters, skills, environments, enemies, weapons and equipment. And that's really about all we know. Assuming Borderlands 2 doesn't depart from its predecessor, you can expect the same four-player, role-playing, FPS lootfest that the original delivered with great conviction.

Although there was a ton to appreciate about Borderlands, the PC version was a little uninspired. The general interface and menu system reeked of a console port while the use of GameSpy for the multiplayer component was disappointing. The gameplay itself grew repetitive as you were forced to dispatch the same types of enemies (which quickly respawned) throughout a majority of the story.

Nonetheless, it sold an impressive two million copies in two months following its October 2009 debut and that figure mushroomed to three million by February 2010. More information on Borderlands 2 will be released in this month's issue of Game Informer magazine and the title will be shown at Gamescon in Cologne, Germany on August 17-18 and then the following week at PAX Prime on August 26-28.

GameStop is showing a launch date of September 9, but we imagine that's not exactly set in stone as the official release window is slated for Take-Two's 2013 fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2012 through March 31, 2013. The title will arrive on all the usual platforms: PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Preorders are already open at GameStop with the PC version set for $50 and the console editions at $60.

techfiend4 said:

i loved the first one! cant wait for this hope its even better

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Yay! I also thought the first one was great. Can't wait for the second....

Muggs said:

I definitely enjoyed the 1st but I do wish the Multiplayer was a bit more robust for when not playing directly with friends other than that I definitely enjoyed the single player and will be picking up Borderlands2 for sure.

ihaveaname said:

Can't wait! Borderlands is still by far my favourite FPS; here's hoping Borderlands 2 lives up to it....

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

I've never played borderlands. Is it really all that good? I want to try it but I don't want to waste my money.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

It's pretty fun, but it can get repetitive. If you're not opposed to purchasing games through Steam or another digital distributor, I'd wait until it's discounted again. It seems every month or two it goes on sale with all the DLC included.

Best game ever...

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

Ill do that then thx for thr heads up.

yorro said:

Is it 300 years later already? I see some robots designed for warfare which wasn't shown in the first, could be AI.

it truely was A soild good game. Once I played it .. I felt bad that I had waited so long .. "played it in Nov/Dec 2010" had been out a few. It is well worth the cost .. .. as stated in some of these comments it can get repetative but most games can, also your solo and muiltplayer are the same game and saves are client side so ppl will cheat .. however you dont play vs other ppl .. you work as a team. It is best too play the first 1 hour so .. solo .. but once you kind of get it .. go online and find ppl your lvl and friend them .. and play together.

This will not be A waste of money like BRINK, AVP2, MOH ect..

Also .. like others have said .. buy it on steam or D2D ... it is very cheap at times. I got it for 9.99 Game of the Year .. I am sure it till be like that again soon .. so worth it.

Borderlands was one of my favorite games of all time. I am very excited for the second one, i do hope that they do make more weapons the weapons in the first game did get a little repetitive

First one was GREAT i cant wait for 2nd, I hope they add weapons like eridian lol me and my friend would reload the game about 50 times a day for eridian we still never got the mega cannon from knox :( were almost there though! It WILL NOT BE A WASTE OF MONEY, Its a pro game, It might get boring the first hour, But keep playing. And when a friend is over it is even better ;)

Amorse54 said:

Absolutely One Of The Top FPS Games Out There!!!!

I'm kinda picky when it comes to shooting games, and my friend at work had been getting on me for months to pick up the game and play with him. He kept going on and on how great it was, for some reason i couldnt get past the cover of the game, it just seemed like a game that i wasnt into....And was I totally WRONG!!!! I cant believe i waited for over a year after the game came out to finally pick it up. The only thing i regret about purchasing the game is not purchasing the game of the year edition!!! lol in the long run it costed me more since i purchased the game and then the dlc's later...But i cant say enough about the game, just a non-stop action game! The only thing that worries me is can the 2nd one live up to the first?!?! Its gonna be verry difficult in my opinion, but they had enough time to do it, so cross ur fingers and pray!!!!

oh i so hope they keep the same mechanics and don't try to add in any new systems. that almost always ruins a sequel for me. keep it the same, add more classes, add more gun variety, add a longer story line with a more satisfying ending and you have a sexy game for sure!

I really enjoyed the first Borderlands but at times it got annoying when you joined a friends game and then you couldn't do some missions on your campaign. And the fact that you were stuck on that part of the game forever and couldn't do anything but play on your friends game just irritated me because you had to do a new game to continue your story line. But it was a fun game nonetheless, ESPECIALLY with friends. Can't wait for the second!

First game was kick-***! However in my opinion when you do multiplayer, that's when it gets a little screwy. I really hope they improve that because I love multiplayer!

IAMTHESTIG said:

The first game was soooo much fun in coop mode. I played with 3 of my friends at a few LAN parties and it was a blast. The RPG elements I feel were well balanced, not too many, not too little. Very good FPS with a little RPG in it, loved it. I also really enjoyed the single player. The open environment, exploring, collecting, selling and buying was lots of fun too.

The only disappointment was the coop was 4 players max. I really would of loved 8 players or even more, to get my entire LAN party guest list in. But regardless the 4 player coop experience over LAN with my buddies was the most fun i've had in a game in a long time... We typically have 12-16 player LAN parties every 4 months or so, and its getting almost impossible to find fun new games that have coop, not to mention that even have LAN support. The last fun one we played was Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising, which was also limited to 4 players.

I really hope to see Borderlands 2, and I hope it is a lot like the 1st one, except with maybe 8 or 12 player coop.

The first one was great, but they should give us at least one more add-on while we wait. Sometimes if you don't strike while the iron is hot, people will find another game...

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I am so excited about this game - can't wait to convince all my buddies to get it so we can get some good multiplayer going.

I got Borderlands for the PC last year, and I gotta say, it's hands down one of the coolest RPGs I've ever played. But, it had a lot of issues. I had to tweak a lot of stuff in .cfg type files to make the graphics and everything work properly. Once that was all set, it was all good. The multiplayer/co-op was really only missing one thing, a roll system for loot. It really ticks me off having such pathetic little things screw up a game as cool as this one. In this day and age, we demand vsync, AA and AF options in game menus. Loot-roll systems in multiplayer RPGs is another thing that can't be overlooked anymore. I really hope they make Borderlands 2 better for PC gamers.

Now, having said that, I also wanna mention the fact that Borderlands had some of the best DLC packages I have EVER seen! The Zombie Island for instance, is epic! Pumpkins, bats, zombies, evil Dr.Doom and the Wereskag! Aaaaahhahahah! LOVE IT!

Trust me it is not a waste of money, however the Ned's Zombie Island and Claptrap's Robolution DLC make it alot more fun and even though the Mad Moxxi's Underdome DLC isn't the best DLC choice out of the 3, it still provides you with alarge bank to store guns, shields, class mods, and grenade mods.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

There were 4... you forgot The Secret Armory of General Knoxx ... and you're right, Mad Moxxi's was the worst but the bank sure is useful.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

In the event that you see this message HiDDeNMisT, without fail, Borderlands Game of the Year Edition is $11.95 on Direct2Drive: [link]

I was hesitent to invest in the first Borderlands, but I was messing around on youtube and found a couple of gameplay walkthroughs and watched a few of them. I went out the next day and picked up the Game of the Year Edition at a local gamestop and haven't been able to tear myself away from it yet. I didn't know at the time that they were planning on releasing a new one, but I think I have enough time to get through the first one (and all the dlc content) before the next one is out. In short, I just started playing the game a few weeks ago and highly recommend it, but then I guess it depends on your tastes as to how much you'll enjoy it. I recommend taking a look at some of the gameplay on youtube before deciding if this is for you or not... as for me, I'm hooked!

Ya I'm glad they are making a second one but original characters not returning to be played? Definitely might not buy just on that fact alone. Call me picky I don't care. I like MY character and want to use them. Not necessarily bring the data to this game just same person new abilities whatever. That way they can change overpowered abilities and make the characters more even. Since it takes place after 5 years the people could be weakened from peaceful times. Makes since to me. Just give us our characters dammit!

A very simple recipe for a successful sequel:

Fix what didn't work, remove or change what was unnecessary, add more of everything that was great about the previous game. Adding new mechanics is always risky so sprinkle in moderately.

Its 5 dollars on Steam right now.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

You should go ahead and pay the $7.50 for GOTY today - that gives you all 4 expansions.

If Diablo 2 and Mad Max got stoned and made a comic book, you get Borderlands. one of my favorite games of all time.

no i cant wait for the 2nd one