Samsung launches Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab devices

By on September 1, 2011, 12:00 PM

Samsung's legal hurdles with Apple are not slowing them down, it seems. Following the introduction of its popular Galaxy S II handset in the U.S., the Korean giant has announced a couple more Android devices in the form of a 7.7-inch, dual-core version of the Galaxy Tab, and a 5.3-inch Galaxy Note that's between smartphone and tablet territory.

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 is a major refresh over the 7-inch Galaxy Tab. It sports a Super AMOLED Plus display with a resolution of 1280 x 800, a 1.4GHz dual-core processing chip under the hood, up to 64GB of storage, two cameras, Android 3.2 Honeycomb with Samsung's TouchWiz UI on top, and support for HSPA+ connectivity. Weighing in at 335g and measuring 7.89mm in thickness, this is also the thinnest tablet on the market.

The 5.3-inch Galaxy device is actually a phone -- in case you were wondering. It sports a Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280 x 800 like its bigger brother and it also runs on a 1.4GHz dual-core processor. Its front and rear cameras have 2MP and 8MP sensors, respectively, while internal storage is limited to 16 or 32GB. Otherwise, the Galaxy Note will run Android 2.3 Gingerbread, the new ChatON messaging service, and come in HSPA+ and LTE versions.

The Note comes equipped with a special type of stylus called the S Pen, which is meant to make it easier to mark down data on the go and tucks away neatly on the bottom of the handset when not in use. Samsung is bundling several apps designed to work with the S Pen and will release a SDK so app developers can take advantage of the functionality.

Launch dates and pricing details are not yet available for either device.

Apple, start your photocopiers!

Samsung is really dominating the smartphone market with their Galaxy lineup. I absolutely love my SGS2.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

i'll be more impressed when I see it in action. I'm never impressed by commercials because everything is simulated, no real interaction going on. Will wait for the thing to come out and video reviews to come up. But overall, it seems pretty neat so far. Maybe a little big to carry around, but would be willing to give it a shot.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This looks way too big to comfortably fit in your pocket... I'm glad though that Samsung isn't marketing the Note to the skinny jean wearing hipster/emo sissies. Leave that to Apple.

eee I want the galaxy note!!!!! my next smatphone!

1977TA said:

Wow, that thing looks cool. I have not purchased a tablet yet mainly because they have smartphone hardware (pretty much) and cost too much for their capabilities. The new "Note" I think fits in it's own category, maybe it's called "TabPhone" or I like "PwnLet".

GJ Samsung for bringing something new!

Muggs said:

That note looks amazing! Anyword if people stateside will be waiting 2years to see one though.

aj_the_kidd said:

Wendig0 said:

LOL, hipsters are Apples cash cows. Did anyone else find the background music in the video to be eerily familiar with Apple commercials? I must say i'm very intrigued by the Note

The note is pretty revolutionary considering it has a HUGE capacitive screen, but also works with a stylus. What I really want though is the 7.7 tablet. Perfect size to be an EDC item.

i like smartphone 5.3"....simple...must buy