Download of the Week: Process Manager for Windows

By on September 30, 2011, 7:00 PM

Process Manager for Windows is a simple utility that adds a few handy options to Windows' context menu when right-clicking on a taskbar item. The app runs silently in your system tray and eats less than 1MB of RAM. Though you won't even notice it's there, once running it'll let you adjust the priority of applications and give you the option to kill the process by right-clicking on the title bar of the app or the minimized task bar button.

Of course, these are things you can already do from the Windows Task Manager but Process Manager will save you some time by putting them just a click away.

In addition, you can minimize any application to the system tray, set windows always on top, hide a window or hide all but the selected one, kill all processes at once, and assign per-window transparency.

This free and open source utility that's worth a look if you're interested in having better control over running processes.

Revolution 11 said:

Don't want to be the negative one here, but what is wrong with good old Process Explorer and Process Monitor?

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Lol maybe people just like a change sometimes.

Lurker101 said:

I'm with rev on this one. Why install an application to do something that's already quick and easy to do?

Darrylp said:

Installed and not working

I installed it on a 64bit Windows 7 Pro installation and it doesn't work at all.

Uninstalled immediately!

I'm a PC/IT guy & let me tell you from personal experience, which spans about 9 years: do NOT bog down your system/registry with "in the moment" programs that either duplicate/mimic or marginally enhance the features already built into Windows.

How much time are you saving, exactly, by tacking on even more options to the right click function? There's absolutely NO need for this software when you can do it all with Task Manager. Like I always tell my customers: TM is your best friend. Use it, abuse it.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

When I read this I was hopeful that this was actually useful, how about something that lets you put software on different cores and priorities but saves it for whenever you open it and not only while it is running?

Reinventing the wheel is a fools quest...

tengeta tengeta said:

if you happen to me a mouse first user, i can see the purpose here. since i'm always keyboard first, its kinda leaving a dead light bulb above my head.

tengeta tengeta said:

*be a mouse first user... couldn't we edit typos here previously?

mailpup mailpup said:

Edit posts from the Forums side.

PinothyJ said:

It only works on 32bit programs...

I recommend using Procexp.exe from sysinternals. You can run when needed or replace task manager with it (Options - Replace Task Manager). Has been and still continues to be the best application for processes, IMHO.

T77 T77 said:

it doesn't work on Win7 at all(32bit or 64bit)