Steve Jobs dies at age 56

By on October 5, 2011, 8:04 PM

Apple cofounder and tech visionary Steve Jobs has passed away at the age of 56. The news has been confirmed by Apple itself and follows just over a month after Jobs stepped down as the company's CEO, due to ongoing health complications. Jobs revealed in 2004 that he had a rare form of pancreatic cancer and he underwent a liver transplant in April 2009. He was on medical leave for approximately eight months before his resignation.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come," Jobs wrote in a public letter at the time. He handed the reigns over to Apple veteran Tim Cook and although the move caused the company's stock to drop initially, it has performed well during Jobs' absence. It remains to be seen if that success will continue without his insight.

Jobs wasn't always hailed as Apple's iconic leader. In 1985, the company ousted its cofounder following a dip in sales that caused internal friction between Jobs and then CEO John Sculley. Jobs went on to launch a new computer company, NeXT Computer, and he purchased The Graphics Group (now called Pixar) from Lucasfilm in 1986. Despite being fired from his own company, Jobs later claimed that it was the best thing that could have happened to him.

After his lengthy hiatus, Jobs sold NeXT Computer to Apple in 1996 and rejoined Cupertino's ranks. He technically served as "interim" CEO until 2000 when his status as chief executive became official. Today, Jobs is regarded as Apple's savior, guiding the ailing company back to profitability with innovative mass-market products, not least of which were the iPod and iPhone. In May 2010, Apple surpassed Microsoft to become second most valuable US company.

Along with his vast contributions to Apple, Jobs became a board member and the largest shareholder of The Walt Disney Company in 2006 after selling Pixar animation studios. In March, he was featured on Forbes' list of the world's billionaires with a net worth of approximately $8.3 billion. He leaves behind Laurene Powell, his wife of 20 years, their three children and a fourth child from a previous relationship, as well as countless friends and followers.

Thank you Steve. Rest in peace.

Lurker101 said:

Because God wanted his iphone hand delivered

RH00D RH00D said:

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. :'(

Cueto_99 said:

Rest in peace Steve, you truly change the world and will be forever remembered as a genius.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Lurker101 said:

Because God wanted his iphone hand delivered

That's funny, but not funny.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

CBS news has just reported that Steve Jobs has died after a long fight with pancreatic cancer.

Certainly he innovated the way technology interacted and served people. He was only 56.

Steve Jobs

Lurker101 said:

Too soon?

Guess I shouldn't suggest that his epitaph should simply be 404

Emin3nce said:

Not unlike the iCloud jokes floating around facebook.

RIP Steve. Grew up in the age of mobile device innovation. You did a lot for my business.

RIP Steven Jobs. You are always on our mind.

Rubyxdesign said:

May GOD keep your soul Steve...

you truly shaped our World.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

A true visionary, it's a sad day in tech. RIP Steve Jobs.

RH00D RH00D said:

It must have been extremely hard for Tim and Phil to give that presentation yesterday, knowing in the back of their minds where Steve Jobs was and what was likely to happen to him. R.I.P.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

A great visionary. RIP Steve.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Very sad to hear this news. I was never a big fan of apple, but he was truly a genius and will be missed.

Cota Cota said:

Just like Earl would say, karma got him.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Steve and his ways with Apple, but it's very sad to think about the family he has left behind.

aj_the_kidd said:

Gotta respect a guy who had a possibly the biggest influence on technological trends for the last 5 years. I'm shocked that it happened so quickly, guess Apple wanted to keep focus on the new release of the iPhone 4S as oppose to his health, R.I.P

ramonsterns said:

A genius in his own right. Too bad not every genius is beneficial to the world.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

A genius in his own right. Too bad not every genius is beneficial to the world.

You know, I've been pleasantly surprised at the posts here, I expected a lot more disrespectful posts. Yours isn't even disrespectful so much, its more of just incorrect. Even if you hate him and hate Apple, his work and vision has influenced almost every interaction people have with their computers and smartphones. You don't think the computers most people use and the smartphones a lot of people use are beneficial to people?

Staff
Jos Jos said:

A sad day indeed. The world has lost a visionary, a brilliant man whose work had a profound impact on various industries and many people's lives. Rest in peace Steve, you will be missed.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've never been a fan of Apple, or their closed architecture design, but I have always had the utmost respect for Steve Jobs (even though I frequently made jokes about him). Steve, you were one of the most innovative and valuable leaders of our technology community, and your passing is going to hit the technology world very hard for many years to come. You were a brilliant mind, a wonderful philanthropist, and we wouldn't be where we are today without your hard work, and determination. Rest in peace.

aj_the_kidd said:

SNGX1275 said:

Really? Whilst most people (on this forum) don't like Apple and Steve Jobs, we still had respect for the guy, even when he was alive

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Didn't Steve just step down from any real position of power with Apple? So in very short order, Steve step's down, then dies, damn! Talk about a terrible blow to the technology world, for Steve was a super innovator. I wonder what will happen with Apple and possibly any ideas that Steve had for the company and it's products before his passing. I can only hope that Apple currently has some very skilled and competent and very innovative running the show, for Steve's shoes will be very hard to fill.

R.I.P. Mr. Jobs

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The world has lost a brilliant and great man today.

Rest in peace Steve.

Because of Steve Samsung would never of created the Galaxy S, think about it...

DjKraid DjKraid said:

Tho I don't like Apple computers (mainly because the os) and I don't have a iPhone I still Love what Steve Jobs have achieved and I really respect him for that! R.I.P :'(

coolazeem said:

Steve Jobs, though I had have never owned an Apple product, I believe that you have left an indelible mark on the world with your revolutionary and visionary products that set the standards for others to follow. You will always be remembered. Rest in Peace

Today is a very sad day I think. Not personally a fan of Apple and I don't own any products, but like many have said, a brilliant mind has passed away.

RIP Mr Jobs!

SalaSSin said:

I have to admit i never was an Apple fanboi, but it's clear to me that Jobs was a visionary.

RIP

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

I used that same image in my PowerPoint presentation on Jobs a few days ago...

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thank you Steve for revolutionising my music and phone experiences with the iPod and iPhone, you were a true genius at design and marketing.

I thought it was a bit strange that he stepped down a few weeks before the 4S launch... maybe that would explain Tim Cook's borefest a couple of days ago

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

In my opinion I say he had a premonition/vision of his death and stepped down beforehand.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

A great visionary has passed away!

Steve, you will be missed

matrix86 matrix86 said:

NTAPRO said:

I have to agree. I think Steve had a feeling his time was coming, and wanted to be sure everything was ready. After all, he's the one that recommended Tim to take over. Who knows what would have happened had he just plopped out while still the head hancho. I really do think he was preparing. Some people just know when their time is near.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Then again, maybe he went to his oncologists and they told him after running tests that he maybe shouldn't take out any yearly magazine subscriptions...but then again maybe Steve was a scryer.

Occam's Razor or mystical prophet, who ya got?

RIP steve...

hitech0101 said:

Rest in Peace you will be missed.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

wow! I mean wow! is this real? I've just come into work and this is the first thing I hear? I almost don't believe my work mates, come on techspot and its here to?

R.I.P. Steve, You have changed the way I've thought about phone, the reason I moved from Sony Mini Disc to iPod. You have shaped Apple to what it is today.

Tim Cook, Make Steve Proud, keep Apple alive...

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

matrix86 said:

NTAPRO said:

That photo of him that surfaced that everyone said was photoshopped was probably the real deal. I'm pretty sure he knew a few months ago, and he wanted to spend time with his family, and not hasten his death by dealing with the stress of running a multibillion dollar company.

I cannot imagine the stress that he went through on a daily basis. It may not be a stretch to say that the last decade secured his legacy as a computer pioneer that will be talked about for many years to come, but at the cost of his health.

Richy2k9 said:

May you rest in peace Mr Jobs ... like all geniuses you will be forever remembered!

What a shame. What a rotten way to die.

tw0rld tw0rld said:

This is sad news. I was never a fan of Apple, but this man was a pioneer. May his soul rest in peace.

Atham said:

Terrible news. The poor man was only 56. He could have accomplished so much more.

Rest in peace, Steven Jobs.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Although I've never liked the man I did respect him, the tech world won't be the same without him. May he rest in peace in the big icloud in the sky.

andy06shake said:

Rest in peace Steve'e boy! You done a mans job!

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

may he rest in peace

he will be missed

lordbf1 said:

As I walk in to work today with a heavy heart. I notice a little less pep in my voice and less zip in my walk! I will never forget where I was when I heard the news of your passing! Your were a true leader and visionary. I as the rest of the world will truly miss you!

Rest in Peace my friend! You have earned it!

\\lordbf1