Amazon locker delivery system available in New York City

By on October 17, 2011, 3:00 PM

Amazon has expanded their pilot delivery locker system to eight locations on the east coast. There are now eight locker locations in New York City as well as the original eight that launched in Seattle last month.

The locker system works on a simple premise. Rather than having Amazon try to deliver a package to your home when you might not be there, the delivery courier will simply drop the package off at a near-by Amazon locker location where you can retrieve it at your convenience.

When a package is delivered to a locker, an email notification will be sent to the recipient along with a barcode. To retrieve your package, head to the location and scan the barcode at the system kiosk. A PIN number will then be provided and once that is entered, you gain access to the locker containing your package. Note that there are no additional delivery charges to use the service.

The service makes a lot of sense if nobody is home to accept your package during work hours. Or perhaps you want to order something while on vacation and have it waiting for you when you get back home. With the holidays just around the corner, users could buy gifts on Amazon and have them delivered safely without the recipient even knowing about it.

Assuming that the lockers test well in NYC, we would expect to see them appear in other major cities perhaps as early as the end of the year.

So it's a glorified post office then?

What happens when your email gets hacked?

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

wonder how long a parcel is allowed to occupy a locker.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'd love to see something like this in Seattle. Which surprises me that it isn't seeing as AMZ is based here. At any rate, I live in a secure condo complex and it's a royal pain in the rear trying to get a package delivered to me when I'm not home.

Rasta211 said:

What's the convenience charge for this one?

not to be a jerk, but it's PIN...not PIN number. The "N" in PIN stands for number.

So, you get to waste your own gas and time to go retrieve the package? Most delivery companies will just leave it on your front door step if you are not home or keep the package and try and deliver it the next day.

aj_the_kidd said:

I think its a great idea, particularly if your not home or don't want a million questions from co-workers about the items you bought and why. Not meant to be for everyone but i would appreciate this service

tehbanz tehbanz said:

In my case they don't leave it at my door, and if it's something I need I have to drive all the way to the edge of town to the fedex (if they're open by the time im done with work), which is a lot further than my closest convenience store. It has lots of applications, just because it doesn't apply to you doesn't mean thats the case for everyone else.

These types of things criminals love. To be able to pick up a package with anonymity has fraud written all over it. I believe that amazon and not their affiliates will be responsible when the cardholder files a chargeback a month or two later claiming unauthorized transaction, and they will have every right to do so - when Visa/Mastercard require merchants ship to the AVS confirmed address.