Intel launches Core i7-2700K, drops price on lower-end CPUs

By on October 24, 2011, 3:00 PM

As expected, Intel has launched a new Sandy Bridge flagship in response to AMD's Bulldozer platform arrival. The new Core i7-2700K processor is quite similar to its 2600K predecessor -- the only difference is a 100MHz bump in clock speed. That means it has four cores with a default frequency of 3.5GHz and up to 3.9GHz with Turbo Boost, Hyper-Threading support for up to eight threads, and 8MB L3 cache. Like other "K" models, it also comes with an unlocked multiplier for easy overclocking.

Intel's product database shows the new Core i7 2700K priced at $332 in 1K quantities. This is $15 more expensive than the i7-2600K, which remains priced at $317, and confirms rumors that the company has no intention to make big changes to its pricing structure for now. By comparison, the AMD's flagship FX-8150 is priced at $280, making it $52 cheaper than the latest Intel processor -- though the latter will certainly have the upper hand when it comes to performance.

Although the i7-2700K's arrival has not made any Core i5 or Core i7 offerings any cheaper, Intel did reduce the prices on three lower-end desktop models: the Core i3-2120, Pentium G850 and Pentium G630. The Core i3-2120 went from $138 down to $117 and is now priced exactly like Core i3-2100. The Pentium G630 was slashed from $75 to $64, the same as the Pentium G620 level, while the Pentium G850 became $11 cheaper and now it costs $75.

Wow finally core i7 at 3 Ghz. Any thing more than 4 cores was about 2GHz. One day, 4,5GHz!

Is it worth it at that asking price?

Cota Cota said:

@ 1st Guest: The speed of CPU's is not totally relative to the GHz.

Is it worth it at that asking price?

Well the real question would be if you need that amount of power, i have an i7 930 and its pretty frustrating to watch it only work at ~25% load on a lot of heavy apps that are not structured to use all cores. More than looking for a strong CPU that makes things faster its the look for a CPU that can do "that work" and still lets you do "that other stuff" while you wait.

BTW the i7 930 is around 60% the speed of the 2600K

A G630 for less than the price of a Athlon II x3 450 makes Intel very compelling at the low end for your low end gamer. Also, LGA1155 boards have been steadily decreasing in price too.

venomblade said:

I guess this is what happens when AMD can't offer competition...a 100mhz bump for $50+. I see no reason to upgrade if one has a 2500k or 2600k already.

yeah well 2700k sounds that much cooler!

Why wouldn't you want this!?!!!?!?

#trolling

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

venomblade said:

It's $15 above the 2600K

But sure, if you already have one no reason to "upgrade"

However if you where like me on an old S775 system, just waiting to see what Bulldozer might bring to the table; then it might impress you more

Arris Arris said:

I'd try and hang on to see Ivy bridge offering now Per

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nice and if I build a new system, I will consider the 2700K. Until then I'm happy with my 2600K. Although waiting for Ivy before building again would be the logical choice.

Yeah thats right I'm a Intel Guy with nothing against AMD other than they don't compete with the 2600K much less the 2700K.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I bought a $500 core i3 laptop, threw in an samsung SSD and it boots windows about half way through the initial windows logo on boot. Blew my mind.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

It's pretty tempting to get a 2700K and pair it with a decent Z68 motherboard rather than wait another 5 to 6 months for Ivy Bridge to arrive. I still running a PII X4 955BE on a DDR2 AM2 board so I'm pretty much overdue for a system upgrade and AMD does not have anything particularly compelling in its current Bulldozer CPU lineup.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Cota: An i7 930 is just as fast as a 2600k\2700k for the majority of what people use thier PC for... including OS loadtime, multi-tasking and multi-media.

For gaming, Toms Hardware showed a 2% difference clock for clock, so nothing there either.

Not really much of an upgrade for 1366LGA owners.

Especially if your chip is 4.0Ghz or higher.

For 99% of the people a core i3-2100 would be more than sufficient for anything they do. I have a core i7 920 on one of my rigs and so far I only max it out when I do video editing in Adobe Premiere pro, otherwise it is hard to max out -- and I am a software engineer.

NOTE: My other rig is a core i3-2100 with just integrated video, and that one works perfectly for home computing, netflix, blu-ray, light video games, emails -- as I said, good enough for 99% of the people.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Sounds like a good upgrade, you should see a substantial boost in performance over the 955BE.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Arris said:

I'd try and hang on to see Ivy bridge offering now Per

Haha, I probably will.

Not much point in upgrading the CPU anyway, it's mostly my old graphics card holding me back...

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

$15 for a 100mhz speed bump. Who are they, AMD???

Joking aside, still a good processor for the money. Curious for next year for the new revision.

venomblade said:

Per Hansson said:

venomblade said:

It's $15 above the 2600K

But sure, if you already have one no reason to "upgrade"

I was going by newegg prices. $315 for 2600k, $369 for 2700k, just saying.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Not really much of an upgrade for 1366LGA owners.

Especially if your chip is 4.0Ghz or higher.

I don't know about the 2% thing - I replaced my i7 930 with a 2600K and it was a substantial boost in performance when gaming. Plus, getting into the 4+ Ghz range is super easy on the SB chips. All other hardware (except RAM and mobo) stayed the same btw.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Maybe your previous build was slow for some reason?

Who knows.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Haha - nice try. I should probably qualify it by saying that some of the games I was playing saw a substantial boost.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

2% on average across 12 games with the clock speeds the same is not a substantial boost. (Toms Hardware).

Nice attempt to justify a purchase you didn't need, but facts are facts.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Except that a 930 and a 2600 don't come at the same clock speeds and I missed your initial statement about clock for clock... my fault. Getting a 930 to 4 Ghz can be quite a struggle while getting a 2600K to 4.4 or even 4.6 is almost a joke it's so easy. If you leave them both stock you're talking about a 20-25% higher clock speed and if you overclock both, even being reasonable you're talking at least a 10-15% higher clock. No one who would be willing to OC a 930 wouldn't do the same with a 2600K.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Games don't improve at 5.0Ghz from 4.0Ghz, 11/12 games showed very little performance increase after 4.0Ghz or so.

And i7 920/930/950's all hit 4.0Ghz effortlessly.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

And i7 920/930/950's all hit 4.0Ghz effortlessly.

Why don't you go troll another forum.

You obviously dhafc about what you're talking about. A LOT of Nehalems hit a voltage wall at 3.8-3.9 - that is to say, most will break 4GHz but at a prohibitive vcore...and since vcore has a direct relationship to memory control hub voltage, you're also turning the northbridge into a space heater.

Games don't improve at 5.0Ghz from 4.0Ghz

[link]

[link]

Whatever.

i7 2600k can post 4.0ghz effortlessly its self just with multiplier no adjustment with vcore and very stable with proper cooling.... $15 for 100mhz? i have a 2600k don't think i will be upgrading....

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Best price I've seen so far for the Core i7 2700K is $369.99 versus $319.99 for the 2600K or more like a $50 premium. Thought I saw somewhere that the $315 price tag was for lots of 1,000 or more. Main audience for this processor would be enthusiants that are looking for a processor that has a pretty good chance of overclocking past 5GHz. Legit Reviews apparently bought their own 2700K for this [link] and didn't even provide overclocking results.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The U.S. seems afflicted with the "Newegg new adopter tax* " at the moment. Some markets are more competitive than others.

2700K OEM £239

2600K OEM £239

Retail: 2600K @ £247 and 2700K @ £265 ( ~ $30 difference)

Overclockers UK has similar pricing or better if you want a copy of BF3

re: Legit Reviews.....yeah, nothing like using different metrics to evaluate products...maybe you don't get the full review unless the manufacturer pops for the component. Maybe they should change their site to "Legit Comped Reviews"

* "New Tax" also seems to have the FX-8150 and family at a premium over list retail also. New adopters of [link] either

Mizzou Mizzou said:

As newegg continues to diversify their product line this is happening with increasing regularity. J&R is worth checking out as they are pretty reliable and usually meet or undercut newegg. As for Legit Reviews, they pulled the same no overclocking stunt on their Corsair H100 review using an FX8150 ... pointless.